PDA

View Full Version : Calling SB Touch Owners

Mothman
04-01-2012, 11:16
I recently purchased a Touch but I am having problem installing the “Logitech Media Server 7.7.1” software on the old PC running XP Pro SP3 which I intend to use as a server. At first I thought the problem was the with PC\operating system, but now feel that the problem may be with the LMS software as I note from various forums that some other users are reporting exactly the same problems as me when trying to install and run the software.

I know there are a few SB Touch owners on here and was wondering if anyone else was running LMS software on an XP pc as a server. If so then what software version do you use and is it stable?

Cheers

wobbleu
04-01-2012, 12:18
Hi

I'm running that version on XP SP3 with no problems, it wasn't a fresh install though. I upgraded from a previous version (think it was 7.5) I'd avoided the update before 7.7 as there'd been lots of complaints when it first came out.

What problems are you getting? or is it that it just won't install? Do you get any error messages?

On their website you can access a lot of the older versions - might be worth a go with one of the older versions to see if that works for you.

My server is a dual core atom so it's not the most powerful machine - I tend to rescan the database once a week and that goes without a hitch (which hasn't been the case with some earlier versions - had lots of the found XXXX Albums 0 Artists problem which is frustrating)

morris_minor
04-01-2012, 12:33
Rich, have you tried looking through the Squeezebox forum? When I first started out with SB players many years ago I found the help here invaluable.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)

Mothman
04-01-2012, 12:51
Bob, I have posted questions on both the Logitech and Slimdevices forums

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=92780

I noted that from the slimdevices forum you could access old versions of the software and thought that failing all else I might give an older version a try hence my question here about stable versions.

Stratmangler
04-01-2012, 13:30
I found that 7.6.1 ran fine on my (now dead) machine running XP Pro.
The same machine did not like 7.7 at all.
Dead machine got replaced with one running Windows 7, and this one runs 7.7 with no issues.

Jonboy
04-01-2012, 18:41
My old Office PC running XP had a major freak out with SB server again and came up with an error message can't remember what it said but refused to cancel or close this message so i just shut it down normally and left it, this was Sunday it was still running today :doh:, i had to force it to shut down in the end. (my office is above my garage so i didn't notice)

It worked fine on news years eve for about an hour running the SB touch from the house through the network and playing music then my SB locked up and refused to acknowledge that it was connected to any network or even work from the ipad, i rebooted it and nothing, updated software and nothing, ended up doing a factory reset and setting it up again :rolleyes:.

Not brave enough to try it again from the office pc

Not much help to you but were not alone in woes

wobbleu
04-01-2012, 19:02
What other software do you have installed, particularly other server/network applications - or do you have some beefy firewall setup that is stopping access to the ports LMS wants to use? (or one of the more heavy handed anti-virus setups - Norton/McAfee).
You could try disabling anti-virus/firewall temporarily and try a re-install of LMS to see if that helps.

Is the IP address of the server static or dynamic - I've always set my LMS server up with a static address.

Mothman
04-01-2012, 19:28
Problem must be with version 7.7.1. The old release 7.6.1 loaded fine and is up and running on the server, account details have been entered and library scan done.

Now I've got to work out how you make the Touch find the server, it connected to my wireless network OK but should it automaticaly find Squeeze Box server or do I need to do something?:scratch:

Stratmangler
04-01-2012, 20:07
Have you tried navigating to My Music/Switch Library?

Mothman
04-01-2012, 21:13
A big thanks to all (especialy Chris) for the help, I am pleased to report my Touch is now playing :partytime: A great piece of kit, but Plug & Play it most definitely is NOT.