PDA

View Full Version : What oil for Garrard 401 main bearing

selfaddict
03-01-2012, 18:10
Hi to all Garrard 401 users.

I had some spare time on over the weekend and decided to check my Garrard 401 main bearing. All looked great inside and outside and after a good wash with IPA it looked good as new :)

I just need to order the felt oil pad on the top and the main bearing gasket on the bottom. What would be the best oil to use inside the bearing? Bearing has no slag and is really well looked after by the previous owner. I just want to have the right viscosity oil suitable for the bearing.

And please don't suggest using normal motor oil, because I am not going to use that :eyebrows:.

P.S. I wrote to Dom to ask about his TT oil, but haven't got answer back yet.

DSJR
03-01-2012, 18:15
You could also ask Loricraft, who know more about "stock" Garrards than practically anyone else I think. A look at the manual the 401 came with should also give a hint or two. Just don't flood the bearing as I once did because the thrust assembly then rotates occasionally, messing up the speed stability.

selfaddict
03-01-2012, 19:01
Hi Dave.
I will give Lorigraft a call tomorrow. I tried their home page yesterday, but no oil or other parts for sale, only RCM's and PSU's. Thats good to know not to over fill the bearing with oil, :cool:thanks

You could also ask Loricraft, who know more about "stock" Garrards than practically anyone else I think. A look at the manual the 401 came with should also give a hint or two. Just don't flood the bearing as I once did because the thrust assembly then rotates occasionally, messing up the speed stability.

Alex_UK
03-01-2012, 19:04
I used Dom's oil - seems fine, and comes with a pipette for easy application.

Dominic Harper
03-01-2012, 19:11
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Natalie's father passing away 3 days ago has slowed things down a bit.
I can certainly supply suitable oil with a pipette as Alex has stated.
Please order via the shop page on my website.

selfaddict
03-01-2012, 19:24
Hi Dom.

I am sorry to hear about your family lost. Unfortunately this is the time of the year when many of us will come across with this fact of life. Give Natalie my best wishes and strength to both of you.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Natalie's father passing away 3 days ago has slowed things down a bit.
I can certainly supply suitable oil with a pipette as Alex has stated.
Please order via the shop page on my website.

selfaddict
03-01-2012, 19:31
Ordered oil from Dom's shop, so now sorted. Thanks to all.

Wakefield Turntables
03-01-2012, 21:48
Hi to all Garrard 401 users.

I had some spare time on over the weekend and decided to check my Garrard 401 main bearing. All looked great inside and outside and after a good wash with IPA it looked good as new :)

I just need to order the felt oil pad on the top and the main bearing gasket on the bottom. What would be the best oil to use inside the bearing? Bearing has no slag and is really well looked after by the previous owner. I just want to have the right viscosity oil suitable for the bearing.

And please don't suggest using normal motor oil, because I am not going to use that :eyebrows:.

P.S. I wrote to Dom to ask about his TT oil, but haven't got answer back yet.

strange you should start this thread I just asked Dom where to oil my 301, talk about great minds think alike ;)

selfaddict
04-01-2012, 19:30
I needed to have something to tinker with after Christmas holidays and the Garrard was perfect for this :). Are you planning to replace the bottom gasket and the top felt oil ring on your bearing. If so, you can find them from e-bay relatively cheaply, I ordered my parts yesterday.

strange you should start this thread I just asked Dom where to oil my 301, talk about great minds think alike ;)

Wakefield Turntables
04-01-2012, 21:01
Felt pad has been replaced. I've been going to take some photos of the bottom gasket so that other forum members could give there opinion, but like most things I havent got round to it. I'm assembly the motor at the moment. I'm waiting for some bits I ordered off ebay, they seem to take forever to arrive :steam: