PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Advice Needed

Mothman
02-01-2012, 17:13
I need some techie help if possible please. Santa brought me a SB Touch for chrimbo. However before I can get it working I new I would have to reset my wireless router as the password had been lost and so I would be unable to connect the Touch to network.

I duly reset the router and then hardwired an old PC to it and set up the SSID & WEP security settings and all seemed hunky dory and was able to connect to the internet with no problems. However when I try to connect wirelessly via my remote PC I am unable access the intenet. The wireless adapter software on the Remote PC tells me it is connected to the router but that it cannot access the internet. Am I doing something wrong or is my router screwed, though it worked fine before the reset?:scratch:

The router is a Buffalo WZR2-G300N

Tony Moore
02-01-2012, 17:47
Hi Rich,

Did you also set in your username and password for the internet (WAN) connection? If you've done a reset on the router then those fields will be cleared.

Cheers,
Tony

Stratmangler
02-01-2012, 17:50
Sounds like your 'net problems are a setup issue - if it worked before and it no longer does then I doubt the issue is one of hardware.
I take it that you've used the wired connection to get out to the 'net and log in?

Mothman
02-01-2012, 18:16
Hi Chris, Yep no problem accessing the net via the hard wired PC but cannot connect wirelessly from t'other PC. I can wirelessly establish a connection with the router but cannot get online. Maybe it's something to do with IP addresses I don't realy understand these but I thought windows did all that automatically these days. Both PC's are running XP by the way.

Cheers

Stratmangler
02-01-2012, 18:21
It could well be that your IP license has expired - check your LAN adapter's status, and repair it if possible.

Mothman
02-01-2012, 18:49
Chris thanks for the help, I am now connected wirelessly. Started from scratch again, disconnected and turned of everything, modems,routers, Pc's ect. reset the router again and then switched it all back on in the same order as previous and for some reason now it all works fine. Bloody computers!!:lol:

Looking forward to lots of fun and games trying to get the Touch working.

Stratmangler
02-01-2012, 18:55
Looking forward to lots of fun and games trying to get the Touch working.

Bloody Computers is one way of putting it ;)
How are you thinking of running the Touch - standalone, or served by another machine?

Mothman
02-01-2012, 19:46
Have an old Fujitsu PC (Pentium 4 - 1.4 Ghz -256MB RAM - XP Pro) with a 1TB Western Digital external connected that I intend using as a server. This will be hard wired to my wireless router.

Stratmangler
02-01-2012, 20:22
Good way to go - you'll be able to access all of the BBC iPlayer radio stuff (it does sound better than the ordinary feeds), resample on the fly (the server can resample 24/176 and 24/192 files so that the Touch can handle them), and, something I use a lot, you can access and control the server from any web browser.

Can the PC be configured to Wake On LAN?

Mothman
02-01-2012, 21:13
Can the PC be configured to Wake On LAN?

Not sure Chris, I'll cross that bridge later.

Current problem is that I can't run "Logitech Media Server" on the server PC, I am getting some error messages during the program installation and then when I try to start the program it just opens the program control panel and then imediately closes itself down:(

Mothman
02-01-2012, 21:34
Reckon it may be a fault with the copy of Windows XP Pro as it was an old PC I was given. Just tried to install Interner Exporer 8 and also getting error messages.

When installing Logitech Media Server the first error message I get reads

"The Procedure Entry Point Decode Pointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

morris_minor
02-01-2012, 23:22
Just a thought, but have you tried running Windows Update to get the latest versions of OS files?

Mothman
03-01-2012, 08:32
I think you may be right Bob. Last night I installed XP SP2 and also Windows Installer 3.1. This seem to let me install the Logitech Media Server (LMS) software but when I went to the LMS control panel to configure it, it would not let me enter my user details and music library path ect.

Tonight I will update XP with SP3 and do a clean install of LMS to see if this helps, fingers crossed.

morris_minor
03-01-2012, 09:08
Good luck, Rich! Windoze can be a right royal pain.:(