PDA

View Full Version : Cart aligment question

Artifolk
02-01-2012, 12:59
Now as this is the first Turntable I've ever setup.
I could take it to my dealers, "Yes i know", but there are some things I'd like to try myself.
As it stands when i setup my Techy, I just used the silly plastic gauge that comes in the box, but after reading a few things about alignment, this doesn't look like the best method ?
Also getting a gauge before i fit the Jelco would mean i could hopefully setup the arm cart combo correctly first time.
I also noticed there are different methods of setup, are some better than others, do i need a specific one for my arm or do they all come to the same conclusion?

Could any of you point me in the right direction. Or should i leave this to the Professionals?

btw.... I'm not a complete Idiot, some parts are missing!! :doh:

alex_san78
02-01-2012, 13:44
Now as this is the first Turntable I've ever setup.
I could take it to my dealers, "Yes i know", but there are some things I'd like to try myself.
As it stands when i setup my Techy, I just used the silly plastic gauge that comes in the box, but after reading a few things about alignment, this doesn't look like the best method ?
Also getting a gauge before i fit the Jelco would mean i could hopefully setup the arm cart combo correctly first time.
I also noticed there are different methods of setup, are some better than others, do i need a specific one for my arm or do they all come to the same conclusion?

Could any of you point me in the right direction. Or should i leave this to the Professionals?

btw.... I'm not a complete Idiot, some parts are missing!! :doh:

Hi Charles,

That silly plastic gauge is actually a good alignment tool for technics arm. :) It’s easy to setup. But for Jelco arm i used my ears... Additional (small) setup required. Please remember about the standard collar possible troubles.

worrasf
02-01-2012, 14:48
Hi Charles - might be worth reading this thread - (see post 2) and followers

Steve

Artifolk
02-01-2012, 16:13
Hi Mike
Yes and no :)
The arc is to set stylus overhang distance and the 2 marks on it are to set the stylus null points - depends on what "philosophy" the protractor is set to (baerwald etc etc)

I use a MINT tractor which is the best I've ever found specifically made for each arm/deck combination. It aligns the stylus tip at the null points not the cartridge body (they are not the same) and invariably results in a bit of "toe in" at the null points but boy can you tell when it's right

Anyway the idea is:

Place tractor on platter and prevent the platter moving at all - I use some minimal stick surgical tape but light masking tape would do - the platter must not move.

Turn the tractor and place the stylus on the arc as far out as possible fix the tractor with tape so it can't move then move the arm across the platter tracing the stylus on the arc to as close to the spindle as you can. If the stylus is off at this point move the cartridge back or forward until it lies on the arc then lift and place it back on the outer part of the tractor if it's not on the arc then
move the cartridge again until it is. Repeat until the stylus exactly traces the arc and lies on the line at inner and outer markers.

Place stylus on the cross hatch on the arc and adjust until parallel with the lines on the tractor - repeat on the inner null point until both correct. You want to ensure the stylus is still on the arc so the adjustment is a rotation not forward and back.

Tighten up and recheck. Then recheck again,

It's a real pain in the arse but you will absolutely hear the difference when it's spot on as opposed to "it'll do"

I can't recommend the MINT tractor highly enough. If you plan on keeping the same arm and deck it's well worth the money,

Steve

I take it you mean this one?

Good thread BTW

RobbieGong
02-01-2012, 16:36
Hi charles,

I've copied and attached what I posted to Graeme in a previous thread. The paper printed protractor is great and easy - trsut me i dont do complicated at all hence I've always recommended this easy way. Most importantly once done the results are great and obvious, your deck will sing. Proper set up cannot be over emthasised as far as I'm concerned and makes a big difference if you really want to hear your system / deck sound right. Follow the instructions below and you will nort be disapointed ( All you'll need to do afterwards is just a tiny fiddle with vta. Basically while listenin to a tune, turn the vta adjust ever ever so slowly and you'll hear when things just sound right. Make sure you know the recommended hight for your cartridge as a starting point (You'll find this in the Technics manual, I found it very accurate) I started dead on 1 as recommended in the manual for my cartridge, used the printed protrator and then lastly did the slight vta adjust whilst playing a tune til I could hear where it sounded right, remember you only need to turn a little and slowly, it might take a few goes but be patient it's worth it. anyway see below:

Link attached. You'll need to login / register but no fee etc just fill in your details and then select / download Technics Protractor. Carefully use a pin to make little holes around the spindle hole markings on the paper protractor then carefully push that bit out. Be nice and neat with the pin so that you have a nice neat and accurate hole so the protrator will go over your spindle perfectly without play.
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...tractors.shtml

Do make sure that when you print it you have printed it to the correct size. You'll be able to tell as there is a line across the top somewhere on the protrator that says it should measure so many millimetres if printed correctly so look out for that, otherwise you'll never get it i follow arc. Make sure your cartidge body also sit straight and parallel on the two grid points as best as you can. good luck and let usd know how you get on :)

MartinT
02-01-2012, 16:58
Hi Charles

I don't think the effective lengths of the Technics and Jelco arms are the same, so that gauge, although very useful on the Technics arm, is no good to you now. I second the Mint Tractor as being very good indeed for alignment.

Artifolk
02-01-2012, 17:19
Thanks Robbie, Martin

There is a difference in effective length 230 vs 229. I had looked at the VE Techy alignment gauge before, but had come to the same conclusion as Martin. This was part of the reason i've asked the above question. And that I'm not totally happy with the Techy supplied gauge.

The Mint looks a good choice. Read a few review and it gets the Thumbs up.

One other question, how accurate are the Counter weight scale markings, to be honest i think i already know the answer, so have decide to buy some Electronic scales.

worrasf
02-01-2012, 18:06
One other question, how accurate are the Counter weight scale markings, to be honest i think i already know the answer, so have decide to buy some Electronic scales.

You'd be surprised how accurate it actually is. IME to within 0.1 g ( I know it's not calibrated in 0.1 increments so you have to estimate but if the dial says 1.5 it will be 1.5 +/- 0.1 and I've used digital scales and the Shure balance.

Steve

RobbieGong
02-01-2012, 19:00
Hi Charles

I don't think the effective lengths of the Technics and Jelco arms are the same, so that gauge, although very useful on the Technics arm, is no good to you now. I second the Mint Tractor as being very good indeed for alignment.

Ah, Sorry Charles, You've got the Jelco arm, apologies again otherwise you would have found this simple but effective protractor great. :)

jostber
02-01-2012, 21:45
I use the ELAC/Schon protractor which works nicely for me.

And then you have the protractor to end all other competition, a bit expensive though. :)

The Uni Protractor:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1330347927&/Uni-Protractor-Set-tonearm-ali

Artifolk
03-01-2012, 15:14
And i thought the Mint was expensive... :lol: