PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions Anyone?

goraman
31-12-2011, 20:00
After years of heavy drinking a love of red meat at nearly 46 I need to make a huge change in my life style.

I have gotten the gout twice in one year, so no more beer and booze.
A huge reduction in meat sadly rich cheeses too.

I even have to reduce the amount of coffee I drink in the morning as I drink 8 cups each morning between 4:00am and 6:30 am.

It was even suggested I get more than 4 to 5 hours sleep as I get to bed each night at 11:00 to 12:00 and get up for work at 4:00.

Doctor even wants a complete physical since I have never had one.:doh:

Anyone else expecting to make a change in there life for 2012?

Reid Malenfant
31-12-2011, 20:10
:lol: Get ready for a shock then Jeff :eek:

I went to the quacks recently about these damn migraines & had my blood tested, blood pressure checked etc.

With the drinking you are likely to have high triglycerides, with all the red meat no doubt high cholesterol, on top of that high blood pressure :rolleyes:

Oh, I have reduced liver fuction to just to add to things :rolleyes: I forgot the high salt in my blood to, though I don't add any to my food - jeez!

I'll be giving up the booze when it runs out, likewise with the rollups as soon as I run out of tobacco :eek:

I'm beginning to change my diet to white & oily fish, chicken & turkey etc, no red meat except occasionally. On the veggie side I have always eaten loads of veggies...

So if I make a few odd posts from mid January onwards it's me having a freak out through lack of :cool: I reckon I'll have a couple of nights of badly disturbed sleep & a few weeks later it'll be the turn of :smoking:

Going to be a mad new year :eyebrows:

goraman
31-12-2011, 20:18
Yah,
I would rather not know the truth, ignorance is bliss.
but it is time to stop taking my health for granted, if I want to see my son grow up.

Reid Malenfant
31-12-2011, 20:24
Jeff, I decided I needed to give up both ciggies & booze before I went to the quacks. I need to get stuff done ;)

Once I had the story of how I'm killing myself from the doc it made me glad I went when I did. I'm 45 & have been drinking heavily (only in the evenings mind) for 15 years...

So get checked out fella, we'll beat this thing together :)

& of course your avatar will be even more appropriate as you are much more likely to be pissing people off, unfortunately.

It happens with lack of drugs ;)

Reid Malenfant
31-12-2011, 20:38
I forgot to add, I'm already now on Statins (to lower cholesterol) & other pills to lower my blood pressure. Get checked out Jeff as I have always eaten pretty healthily in all honesty...

See you on the other side of body abuse :eyebrows: Bests to you & yours for 2012!

jazzpiano
31-12-2011, 20:40
Great and hilarious response Jeff - I don't care what anyone says, Brit humor is the best and sometimes I could just read these posts to put myself in a good mood. I'm in the same boat, always had good bp, cholesterol, etc. so didn't worry 'bout it - till now. Just had a BMW implanted in my chest, was told I had high bp and borderline high cholly, plus my vision is going to hell weekly. Now add asthma and apnea to the list. Puts you at a crossroads is what it does. Do you want to be a young, vibrant, healthy 50s or, do you want to be an old, 60s/70s-like 50s? But man, it's not easy. All those years w/ no consequences are hard to fight. I think exercise - hard, daily, pissed-off all the way, is the only way it'll work for me. You know yourself. Good luck and make it work.

Best,
another screwed old guy

brian2957
31-12-2011, 20:41
This all happened to me 6 years ago . Following a diagnosis of high blood pressure I went for some blood tests . Every time I phoned for the results the nurse at the other end of the phone said either ' oh dear ' or ' oh my '.
High blood pressure , high cholestoral , high blood sugar and a fatty liver (whatever that is ).I gave up drinking 6 years ago and gave up the cigarettes 5 years ago . I visit the doctor occasionally now and most my blood results come back normal , surprise surprise . I am in much better shape than I was 6 years ago , surprise surprise . Please don't think I'm anti drinking because I'm not . If you enjoy it then fill yer boots. But it was making me ill and affecting my family so it was time for me to stop. I smoked for around 30 years and know what effect it can have on the body ( mine ) and would never recommend taking up smoking to anyone. Roll ups , in particular , are particularly bad. As for this year I plan to relax even more than I did last year . Was given a Kindle for Xmas so plan catch up on some reading . Spend more time with my family (unless they tell me to bog off ;) I can do that too if requested ) and spend more time with the couple of good friends I have. Mottos for the new year :
1. Theres more to life than making it go faster.
2. I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.
3. The best way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.
All the best for the new year to all my new friends on AOS and their nearest and dearest.
Brian.

Mr Nad
31-12-2011, 20:43
I don't drink (never have), smoke (never have), eat meat (gave up 26 years and 1 week ago).

I try to walk or cycle everywhere, and always have.

I avoid fatty and starchy foods (since April).

I exercise vigorously for at least half an hour six days a week.

I eat oodles of fresh fruit, veg, nuts and seeds, but no cakes, biscuits, or sweets.

My only indulgence is tea. And I'm not giving that up!

So my resolution is to drink more water. I can't stand the taste of it, but it's good for me, so I guess I'd better make the effort.

Reid Malenfant
31-12-2011, 20:47
According to my Doctor printed diet sheet :eyebrows: Coffee & Tea are not bad, so long live the flavour I say :rfl:

brian2957
31-12-2011, 20:49
Everything in moderation mate . Except smoking and drinking, for me , I'm afraid.

jazzpiano
31-12-2011, 21:06
More sage advice. Lenny, you are unbelevable and I'm affraid unattainable for me (let me rephrase - your lifestyle is unattainable for me). Brian, loved your example, esp. re: arguments. Has anyone ever tried mixing the best quality decaf they could find with reg coffee? I love the stuff and can't see myself going over to decaf, though I have been successful w/ caffeine-free soda. My other problem is I'm addicted to peanut butter.
Good luck all.

~Barry

keiths
31-12-2011, 21:22
I aim to cut down on the beer too. I'm not after giving it up completely because as full-time carer for my dad (who suffers from dementia), my only interaction with other people is when we go down to the local pub at night - but that's become every night, which has to stop.

I've already started (a month ago) eating a bit more healthily and have lost a few pounds, so I'll be continuing that in the New Year. Exercise is difficult to fit in around looking after my dad, but I don't drive and live at the top of a steep hill, so walking everywhere helps. I used to play volleyball weekly, tennis (summer)/table tennis (winter) and go on a weekly mountain bike ride, but all that stopped four years ago when my mum developed a brain tumour and died suddenly and I took over my dad's care.

I'm glad I never took up smoking and I don't drink coffee any more.

Good luck to all with new year's resolutions :)

sparrow
31-12-2011, 21:51
Just one.....slow down buying music be it Vinyl or CD..save some money and go a wee holiday somewhere.

Spur07
31-12-2011, 22:32
just to restore the balance a little in response to our new year dieters - my dad never smoked (dead against it) and hardly drank in comparison to most. His diet wasn't the worst. He rose early every morning and played sport all his life - 11 aside football well into his 40's and squash at a competitive level after that. Then one day he died suddenly in his very early 60's - his body so riddled with cancer they never found the original source, only the secondary.

don't be so hard on yourselves lads, a little bit of what you like will make you happy and that's the most important thing.

My new years resolution, once i've finished building my TT I've really got to stop spending so much time on my hi-fi. It's got a bit out of hand lately.

jostber
01-01-2012, 08:19
I will make it easy for myself this year. Partied some last year but will do it much more this year, travel to Spain several times, love women with my soul, dance, laugh, enjoy life to the full and listen to a lot of wonderful music! As Van Morrison says:

Good or bad baby
You can change it anyway you want
You can rearrange it
Enlightenment, don't know what it is
Chop that wood
And carry water
What's the sound of one hand clapping
Enlightenment, don't know what it is

shane
01-01-2012, 09:13
So much depends on luck.

I drink a little, gave up smoking 30 years ago and eat pretty much what I like but my wife makes sure that what I like includes plenty of fruit, veg and pulses. I exercise a bit but not a lot. I drink loads of tea and coffee, so overall I'm not evangelistic about it, but I do bear my health in mind most (not all) of the time. At the end of next month I hit 60, my blood pressure and cholesterol are low, and at 5' 11" and 11st 7lb, (161lb to our friends across the pond), I'm pretty healthy without really trying too hard, and expect to live up to my grandparents, who averaged 91 between them, before shuffling off.

I had a close friend who was a very senior RAF officer, ex-Harrier pilot, and something of a fitness fanatic. You know the type, always off for a run or a swim, loved sport etc, never smoked, and only drank occasionally. He was very concerned with the fitness of the RAF in general, and to that end founded the RAF triathlon society. 18 months ago, at the age of 54, he collapsed and died of a heart attack half-way round a triathlon.

What conclusions do you draw from that? Look after yourself, you're the only one you've got, but don't go to extremes. You never know what's around the corner. Make plans to live to 100, but never forget to live for today. Sometimes tomorrow never comes.

Wakefield Turntables
01-01-2012, 13:50
guys!

I've read this thread through and got a little depressed :( So i decided that the only way to make myself happy was to make a new years resolution to spend more money of vinyl! There instantly more happy :D

bobbasrah
01-01-2012, 14:45
Resolutions along similar lines to the other reprobates here.
It would be nice to get the pension I spent all those years paying into, and I need to be breathing to do that. The biggest kick will be knowing I'm not paying tax etc for tobacco, booze, and reduced fuel use to the various governments to blow away.

The next few months are going to be temperamental fun, especially when the inevitable PC evangelist type applauds the changes to get an even more vitriolic mouthfull for their trouble. Hell hath no fury like a recently reformed addict....

brian2957
01-01-2012, 15:31
It will be all right Bob . You will calm down eventually . Live and let live and all that:)

jazzpiano
01-01-2012, 17:49
I just want to add 2 things: #1 by a long shot, good luck to you Keith and your Dad, caretaking is highly stressfull and you've obviously got a BIG heart; and #2, I will get a handle but I refuse to join the Joyless Health Taliban.

Happy New Year, Keith and all,
Barry

keiths
01-01-2012, 18:30
I just want to add 2 things: #1 by a long shot, good luck to you Keith and your Dad, caretaking is highly stressfull and you've obviously got a BIG heart; and #2, I will get a handle but I refuse to join the Joyless Health Taliban.

Happy New Year, Keith and all,
Barry

Thanks Barry - it can be stressful and certainly frustrating at times, but none of the alternatives appeal, so no point grumbling about it. I'll certainly be a long way from joining the JHT I assure you :)

goraman
01-01-2012, 18:47
Thanks Barry - it can be stressful and certainly frustrating at times, but none of the alternatives appeal, so no point grumbling about it. I'll certainly be a long way from joining the JHT I assure you :)

I hope the best for you man,my Mom took care of my grandmother for a couple years Grandma had Parkinson and Alzheimer.

The stress took it's toll,something about seeing your mother die really brings you close to your own mortality,Mom has not been the same since she aged 20 years in just over 2.

My only advice is talk regularly with your priest,a hos-pis nurse,or someone who can help you navigate the whole lot of emotions you will surly go through.

And when that time of passing comes the care taker often suffers guilt and other waves of emotions so don't do this alone.

Tim
01-01-2012, 19:00
Only one...... not to make any New Year resolutions and have fun, whilst trying not to get caught :lol:

keiths
01-01-2012, 19:03
My only advice is talk regularly with your priest,a hos-pis nurse,or someone who can help you navigate the whole lot of emotions you will surly go through.

And when that time of passing comes the care taker often suffers guilt and other waves of emotions so don't do this alone.

Thanks for the advice and good wishes Jeff. My dad is physically in great health - stronger and more active than almost any other 75 year old I know, but his mental abilities are very poor indeed now. I don't talk to priests, but do have support and am pretty well in charge of my emotions.

Don't want this thread to become a downer, so I'll bow out of this one now.

Happy New Year everybody :champagne: :cheers: :hifive:

MartinT
01-01-2012, 19:20
I gave up sugar many years ago, drink very little alcohol and don't smoke. However, being an ex cancer patient and suffering from diabetes means that my life expectancy is unlikely to see me into my seventies (I'm 53).

I exercise daily, take garlic tabs for cholesterol and eat a reasonably balanced diet. I gave up coffee earlier last year and drink lots of rooibos tea. However, I'm a terrible grazer in the evenings, so I'll be working on that this year.

It's never depressing if you are simply thankful for each additional day and enjoy every one to the full.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2012, 19:34
It's never depressing if you are simply thankful for each additional day and enjoy every one to the full.
I agree fully :) I originally intended to give up the alcohol & ciggies simply to get things done, as I haven't done very much of anything :eyebrows:

To me it's all positive & while I may not be the fittest on the block I know I'll be a heck of a lot fitter in a few years & I'll have got stuff done that I really want to do :D

Where is the negativity in that :eyebrows:

webby
01-01-2012, 20:16
I'm 42 and in fairly good health I would say. I drink only occassionaly and then only moderately, although this Christmas I've had a few vodkas each night! I'm right off beer as whenever I drink it I only need two and I'm full and I feel like I can feel the poison in my body.

I'd say my diet is not all that great but it's not junk either. I do have a sweet tooth and snack on biscuits and cake bars and chocolate. I drink maybe three cups of tea each day, without sugar despite my sweet tooth. Odd that. Don't touch coffee.

My main health worries are that I feel tired a lot. I feel tired when I wake up after 8 hours sleep! I knees crack whenever I get up and I have pain in my right hip (x rayed and diagnosed as insignificant levels of osteo arthritis). My other gripe is my hairline which depresses me daily.

I have two kids and I'm currently out of work. My aim this year is to start my own mac support business due to almost having no other option. The thought of doing so is pretty scary but I'll never know til I try.

I will cut down on the sweet stuff and try and get over my rapidly thinning hairline.

Happy new year to you all.

Edit: oh, I'm 6ft 3in and around 12st.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2012, 20:25
Good luck with the business idea Lee :)

Don't worry about the hair, get a set of Wahl clippers & give it a grade 1 once a fortnight ;) Certainly saves on barbers bills, I reckon I have saved nearly £2000 over the last 15 years :eyebrows:

I'm 6' 2" & weigh a couple more stone than you, I need to lose about 2 in all honesty ;)

Wishing you all the best for 2012 chap!

brian2957
01-01-2012, 20:33
Been using Wahl hair clippers for 25 years now. SWMBO keeps telling me to get a decent hair cut :lol: My hair style is not up for debate I'm afraid . Reckon the Wahls have helped me fund my hifi obsession.

jazzpiano
01-01-2012, 22:45
See, you can always figure out a way to make it work - Get the clippers, buy more phono cartridges!

~Barry

brian2957
01-01-2012, 23:48
LOL . Cut my hair fortnightly ( £7 a time at the barbers ) equals a lot of money Barry . ;)

webby
02-01-2012, 13:16
I don't think I'm quite at the grade 1 cut yet. I've got plenty on top, it's just thinning at the front and I have an unfortunately placed scar which is not helping either lol.

Jonboy
02-01-2012, 19:55
I lost nearly a stone and a half before Christmas, put back on nearly half a stone over the break so back to normal tommorow, plenty of salads and fruit i also stopped having bread every day which made a big difference , must keep this up in for the new year.

Not smoked for a couple of years now so thats good, drink well i fall off the wagon once in a while but have cut down a lot.

So thats my resolution if i've got one to be a bit more healthy in general.

Been DIY on my hair for 15 years plus, it just needs a quick buzz over with the clippers and seems to be getting quicker each time, oh well it seems like i was ment to be a slap head, got more on my face now so get called upside down head

aquapiranha
02-01-2012, 20:06
I intend to eat less bread, and attempt to lose weight, again!

I do not drink much these days which is a far cry from my 20's and early 30's when I was regularly shitfaced. I stopped smoking a few years ago and eat a decent diet, if a little too much bread. I keep my hair shortish now, never understood men who go for the 'comb-over' or the bouffant tactic to disguise thinning hair. I am 42 now.

Alex_UK
02-01-2012, 21:33
Yep, pretty much the same as everyone else - lose weight, cut down on drinking, keep off the fags, do more exercise, work harder, spend less. God that sounds depressing just writing it down!

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2012, 21:40
Whoa, nice to see a new Avatar pic Alex :) About time m8 :eyebrows:

MartinT
02-01-2012, 21:40
And how is AmazonAvatar doing, Alex?

Alex_UK
02-01-2012, 21:46
Whoa, nice to see a new Avatar pic Alex :) About time m8 :eyebrows:

Cheers Mark! Has been a while!

And how is AmazonAvatar doing, Alex?

She is absolutely exhausted after a month of non-stop excitement! Thanks for asking Martin. :) She had a great Christmas and New Year, totally spoilt and now we've run out of bribes to keep her behaving! (Though I did threaten to take all her presents to the children's hospital today!)

(And as per the avatar - the box is always more fun that the present, isn't it!? :lol:

Hopefully keeping to my resolutions she'll get to spend many more Christmases with her Daddy. :)

Spur07
03-01-2012, 09:00
I'm 42 and in fairly good health I would say. I drink only occassionaly and then only moderately, although this Christmas I've had a few vodkas each night! I'm right off beer as whenever I drink it I only need two and I'm full and I feel like I can feel the poison in my body.

I'd say my diet is not all that great but it's not junk either. I do have a sweet tooth and snack on biscuits and cake bars and chocolate. I drink maybe three cups of tea each day, without sugar despite my sweet tooth. Odd that. Don't touch coffee.

My main health worries are that I feel tired a lot. I feel tired when I wake up after 8 hours sleep! I knees crack whenever I get up and I have pain in my right hip (x rayed and diagnosed as insignificant levels of osteo arthritis). My other gripe is my hairline which depresses me daily.

I have two kids and I'm currently out of work. My aim this year is to start my own mac support business due to almost having no other option. The thought of doing so is pretty scary but I'll never know til I try.

I will cut down on the sweet stuff and try and get over my rapidly thinning hairline.

Happy new year to you all.

Edit: oh, I'm 6ft 3in and around 12st.

Good luck with the new venture Lee, there's plenty of mileage in Apple support I reckon. I can remember a time when I never knew where to take my mac for a service, I had to trek into London. Now my local PC repair shop down my high street can do it, they employ this local guy to do the macs. It's a god save for me, especially as my HD when tits up last year. I've been thinking of starting a business for years so I can relate to your fear, the thought is quite scary but just remember I've met some right plonkers who've successfully ran their own businesses.

tbh, you've done pretty well to get to your 40's without losing most your hair but I expect it can be a bit crappy when it goes all of a sudden, especially if it goes at the back first. I've always had a high forehead, its a family trait, and even though my hair is thin the little that has receded has gone very slowly so I've been able to adjust quite easily. No plans for me to take a grade 1 just yet, I'm currently growing myself a bit of a 50's quiff! Bear in mind, once you go grade 1 that's it, you'll probably never grow it back again.

webby
03-01-2012, 09:48
Good luck with the new venture Lee, there's plenty of mileage in Apple support I reckon. I can remember a time when I never knew where to take my mac for a service, I had to trek into London. Now my local PC repair shop down my high street can do it, they employ this local guy to do the macs. It's a god save for me, especially as my HD when tits up last year. I've been thinking of starting a business for years so I can relate to your fear, the thought is quite scary but just remember I've met some right plonkers who've successfully ran their own businesses.

tbh, you've done pretty well to get to your 40's without losing most your hair but I expect it can be a bit crappy when it goes all of a sudden, especially if it goes at the back first. I've always had a high forehead, its a family trait, and even though my hair is thin the little that has receded has gone very slowly so I've been able to adjust quite easily. No plans for me to take a grade 1 just yet, I'm currently growing myself a bit of a 50's quiff! Bear in mind, once you go grade 1 that's it, you'll probably never grow it back again.
Cheers Paul. I wouldn't mind being the mac guy in a pc repair shop actually. Successful plonkers eh? I should be able to do it then!

I tend to wake up with a 50's quif! I have what I think is called a widows peak, but that's where my scar is, right in the middle of it. So my peak almost has a parting!

realysm42
04-01-2012, 17:36
I quit fags last year, this year it's no more alcohol for me.

On the subject of hair cuts, I'd love to know how much I've saved by shaving my head for the lasr 6/7 years :)

brian2957
04-01-2012, 17:48
Not as much as stopping smoking Martin , and I've never heard of anyone becoming ill because of long hair.