PDA

View Full Version : SL-1200/10 mat thickness and cartridge height

Songforyou
02-12-2008, 23:14
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I own a KAB Technics 1210mk5 and I am currently using the thick (5mm) mat supplied by KAB.

I am thinking of going to a Herbie's mat based on my reading here and elsewhere (I'm located in Canada).

I'm using a Zu-103 and (like the Denon 103) the cartridge height is 15mm. The 1210mk5 acceptable cartridge height range is 17-23mm. With the thick mat my arm height is set at the ZERO mark, so the thick mat allows me to use a 'short' cartridge like the Zu/Denon 103.

This tells me that the Herbie's mat I need should be at least 5mm in height. So far so good...

But the mat recommended on Herbie's site and the one sold by Soundhifi specifically for SL-1200s is 3.7mm thick.

Is this because many folks buy the SL-1200mk2? The mk2 version of the 1200 has a different acceptable cartridge height range: 15-21mm.

Thoughts?

I just want to order the right mat and also let people know that the two tables are slightly different in this regard (and that this difference could be important with 'short' cartridges).

Marco
02-12-2008, 23:57
Hi,

Welcome to AOS :) What's your first name? It'll save me referring to you as SFY! ;)

I know exactly what you're describing as I had the same problem myself with my MK5 1210 and a 103R.

Basically, unless using multiple mats (for example both thick and thin Technics rubber mats and a Herbie's on top) and the arm VTA adjuster on the arm wound down to minimum you will not achieve the correct arm height setting with the 103, which is one of the reasons why I bought a Jelco SA-750D as it has a much wider range of arm height adjustment than the Technics arm.

In your position I would order a thin Technics mat from KAB and use it in conjunction with your thick mat, then order a Sound Hi-fi mat for the 1210 and sit that on top of both, with the thick rubber mat on the bottom and the thinner one in the middle. You should just about get away with that and still have enough spindle clearance to fit a record on top, even a heavyweight one - just! But it should work and give you a good result :smoking:

Failing that; if you can afford it ditch the Technics arm and fit a Jelco. Then like me you will be able to use only one mat (a Sound Hi-fi one) and a record clamp, and achieve spot-on VTA with a 103. This in my opinion is the best sounding combination of all.

I hope this helps.

Marco.