PDA

View Full Version : WTD: John Bowers Active 1's or Paradigm Reference Active/40

kininigin
30-12-2011, 11:06
Im looking to try something different,so if anyone can help,i'd be grateful :cool:

Darren
30-12-2011, 14:33
Simon at HiFi sound has a pair of the JB active ones for pocket money. He also has a pair of the excellent Meridian actives for not very much. Call him in the new year - he's very easy to get along with.

kininigin
30-12-2011, 18:23
I'd been in contact with hi fi sound and did try to buy the JB's,but he had difficulty in finding packaging.He said,he could only do it,by way of a pallet,at extra cost.

I was willing to pay extra,but by the time that option was on the table,i'd bought an oyaide tone-arm cable and had a holiday to france to pay for.

I was hoping they would still be there when i came back,sadly no.

Im not sure about the meridians,i'd rather try the other two first.

DSJR
30-12-2011, 20:19
The Bowers Active 1's had good drivers and, IIRC cabs too, but i suspect the amps will be very tired now and in need of a fettling. Not that the amps were badly made or anything, but they are rather old now - nigh on thirty years or so?

Some of the Meridian actives can be enchanting, but at other times, utterly colourless despite being "neutral." I remember the M20 sounding better than the previous M2, and the non digital floor standing columns were pretty good too I remember, but again, getting on a bit and may not be able to replace drivers etc. if necessary. The later digital models were very good, but AOSers do like to play with alternatives, and active speakers with built in amp packs do tend to take the fun away :)

kininigin
04-01-2012, 17:01
The Bowers Active 1's had good drivers and, IIRC cabs too, but i suspect the amps will be very tired now and in need of a fettling. Not that the amps were badly made or anything, but they are rather old now - nigh on thirty years or so?

Some of the Meridian actives can be enchanting, but at other times, utterly colourless despite being "neutral." I remember the M20 sounding better than the previous M2, and the non digital floor standing columns were pretty good too I remember, but again, getting on a bit and may not be able to replace drivers etc. if necessary. The later digital models were very good, but AOSers do like to play with alternatives, and active speakers with built in amp packs do tend to take the fun away :)

If nothing turns up,i may consider some meridians,but im in no rush atm.Might even return to passive.Im quite keen to hear how a croft power sounds with the matching pre!

jandl100
06-01-2012, 07:36
I had a pair of Bowers Active 1 speakers. Seriously good! :thumbsup:

It was 2 or 3 years ago, they sounded fab, I don't think the amps were 'tired' at all, but they might have been serviced before I got them.

Pictured here with a SD Acoustics SD1 - another fine speaker, but not active.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/SD1BowersActive.jpg

kininigin
06-01-2012, 16:40
Im abit gutted really,as i,as good as had a pair,but events went against me :(

Im quite patient though,so hopefully i'll come across another pair.

Darren
06-01-2012, 23:47
Great lava lamp hippy!

jandl100
07-01-2012, 06:56
Haha - yeah, I went thru a lava lamp phase a year or so back, I've got loads! :)

As a price guide for Mr K (too many Darrens on this thread!) I bought and sold my Bowers Actives for £400 and thought they were fab value. :thumbsup: