PDA

View Full Version : ... hello from Dursley, Gloucestershire

osmildmay
29-12-2011, 21:35
Hello,

I saw The Art of Sound after searching for Meridian Amps (551 model).

Looking forward to perhaps getting getting up enough steam to contribute ... and learn :)

Regards,

Oliver

Reid Malenfant
29-12-2011, 21:40
Hi Oliver, sounds like you are up to pressure :eyebrows: Welcome to AoS, I hope you enjoy your stay...

What do you tend to listen to & what do you listen to it on?

Bests to you for 2012 :cool:

osmildmay
29-12-2011, 22:00
Hi Oliver, sounds like you are up to pressure :eyebrows: Welcome to AoS, I hope you enjoy your stay...

What do you tend to listen to & what do you listen to it on?

Bests to you for 2012 :cool:

Ta ... good to be here!

I range from Classical to Club on my simple yet effective Cambridge Audio 540R & Acoustic Energy Neo 1's connected by QED micro. I stream MP3's and internet radio via an Apple Airport Express, connected to the amp by optical cable. Relatively simple system yet really good results in my mind!

Happy 2012 also :cool:

Alex_UK
29-12-2011, 22:55
Hi Oliver, welcome to AoS. Glad you found our little corner of the 'net. :)

Now then, I know this is your introductory post and all, and I really don't want to be rude on our first meeting, but may I respectfully suggest that an upgrade to your source (and I mean the very source) will be far more effective than Meridian amps? (Lovely though they are!) - in other words, I think you need to look at your file format first and foremost - you will be missing a lot of detail and finesse using MP3 instead of a lossless format, or less-lossy at the worst... Hopefully all things you will learn about now you are here! ;) Seriously, I would strongly consider the format before going too much further as you will never get back what has been lost in the original file...

Well I hope I haven't been too rude - enjoy the forum, and all the best for 2012. :)

Spectral Morn
29-12-2011, 22:59
Welcome to AOS Oliver.

Enjoy your time on AOS and have fun

Regards D S D L

simonms
29-12-2011, 23:19
Hi Oliver,

I joined a few days back....my Mum works in Dursley and family originally from Wotton-u-Edge :)

I used a pair of Meridian 559's bridged for a while (1600wpc) great amps!

Cheers Si

osmildmay
29-12-2011, 23:19
Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for the info ... I have heard this suggestion before.

The problem I have is that where do I get my entire MP3 collection from in lossless format?

Have a merry 2012 :)

Hi Oliver, welcome to AoS. Glad you found our little corner of the 'net. :)

Now then, I know this is your introductory post and all, and I really don't want to be rude on our first meeting, but may I respectfully suggest that an upgrade to your source (and I mean the very source) will be far more effective than Meridian amps? (Lovely though they are!) - in other words, I think you need to look at your file format first and foremost - you will be missing a lot of detail and finesse using MP3 instead of a lossless format, or less-lossy at the worst... Hopefully all things you will learn about now you are here! ;) Seriously, I would strongly consider the format before going too much further as you will never get back what has been lost in the original file...

Well I hope I haven't been too rude - enjoy the forum, and all the best for 2012. :)

osmildmay
29-12-2011, 23:21
Thanks D S D L ... will do

Welcome to AOS Oliver.

Enjoy your time on AOS and have fun

Regards D S D L

osmildmay
29-12-2011, 23:23
Hey ... small world :)

Yes I think a meridian amp is a good way forward to be honest!

:cool: osmildmay

Hi Oliver,

I joined a few days back....my Mum works in Dursley and family originally from Wotton-u-Edge :)

I used a pair of Meridian 559's bridged for a while (1600wpc) great amps!

Cheers Si

Alex_UK
29-12-2011, 23:28
I have heard this suggestion before.

The problem I have is that where do I get my entire MP3 collection from in lossless format?

Hi again Oliver. Well I guess that confirms that you don't have the original CDs... :( So re-ripping isn't an option, then (on the plus side, that does mean you won't have to do it again - trust me, I've done my 3,000 odd CD collection twice now...)

I guess the first thing to do is to "stop the rot" and try and get better quality on anything you buy going forward - either by ripping yourself, or buying in lossless if that's an option. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a common one with the big players. There are other options, I guess, but maybe we could save that for another thread, as we probably want to leave this one for the rest of the members to say "hi". :)

simonms
29-12-2011, 23:43
Hey ... small world :)

Yes I think a meridian amp is a good way forward to be honest!

:cool: osmildmay

559's are rare and I had really tough speakers to drive (Shahinians) but 557;s come up more often which would fit the bill regarding the 551.

The 559's were however bettered by Pass Labs X250 and X2 pre in my set up.

Cheers Si