PDA

View Full Version : Did you know...

The Black Adder
28-12-2011, 20:23
Did you know that the fuel gauge in your car actually tells you not only your fuel status but also which side of the car the fuel filler cap is on?

Apparently car manufactures have been doing this for years. The fuel pump symbol on your gauge shows the nozzle on either on the left or the right and which ever side it shows that's the side your filler cap is on.

Now, I'm not sure about you but I love cars and know quite a bit about them but this little nugget must have passed me by.

Mark Grant
28-12-2011, 21:22
It's true and they have been like it for years, I only worked it out recently :doh:

Alex_UK
29-12-2011, 00:08
Never knew that! (And I'm a piston-head!) Will have to check this in the morning!

Tim
29-12-2011, 00:21
I wish I could say, "bah.... known about that for years" - but nope, new to me too, but I will be checking it out first thing tomorrow ;)

keiths
29-12-2011, 00:31
I'm sure I've heard this before and it turned out to be a myth - but I don't even drive, so what do I know?

Thing Fish
29-12-2011, 00:33
Does it apply to digital fuel gauges as well as the needle ones...?

Mr Nad
29-12-2011, 07:34
I run on LPG. The fuel cap is on the rear of the car.

(But I also have a petrol tank... I'll check this out. I always forget which side the cap is on).

The Black Adder
29-12-2011, 08:37
Does it apply to digital fuel gauges as well as the needle ones...?

I'm guessing so but I suppose it could be different depending on the design of the gauge.

Tim
29-12-2011, 14:49
Hmmm, not the case on all cars it seems? Just checked two cars in the yard, both with nearside filler caps. Both had the fuel nozzle depicted on the right of the pump graphic despite the filler being on the left, but the newer car also had a triangle indicating toward the nearside.

Reid Malenfant
29-12-2011, 14:50
Just buy a motorbike & you won't have this problem :D

Tim
29-12-2011, 14:50
:lol:

The Black Adder
29-12-2011, 15:27

A Motorbike?...

Just buy a Chopper, much cooler and you wont end up with alloy pins holding you back together. :)

The Black Adder
29-12-2011, 15:29
Hmmm, not the case on all cars it seems? Just checked two cars in the yard, both with nearside filler caps. Both had the fuel nozzle depicted on the right of the pump graphic despite the filler being on the left, but the newer car also had a triangle indicating toward the nearside.

Bugger!

Ah well... It must be only on expensive cars maybe? I mean, a graphic must be expensive to change!????!

Reid Malenfant
29-12-2011, 15:31
Now why is it people think motorcycles are dangerous? The only metal in me is iron in my blood & a couple of fillings in my teeth :eyebrows:

It's like calling a road dangerous, roads don't kill people, people unfortunately do that for them :rolleyes:

The Black Adder
29-12-2011, 15:51
Now why is it people think motorcycles are dangerous? The only metal in me is iron in my blood & a couple of fillings in my teeth :eyebrows:

It's like calling a road dangerous, roads don't kill people, people unfortunately do that for them :rolleyes:

Just jesting Mark...