PDA

View Full Version : phono stage on budget...

Darren
28-12-2011, 17:03
My work system has recently benefitted from the arrival of a REL sub and an Arcam pre amp with built in DAC (thanks to the ever affable Simon @ Hifi Sound). However these changes have left the digital front end streets ahead of the Vinyl rig. Honestly, streets ahead. CD's sound fab in my work set up now - almost as good as my Wadia at home.

Now I know that Vinyl can sound great because I've owned some excellent turntables in the past... but the current Pink triangle, RB250 (with Tecno Weight) and Grado Reference cart (cant find my bloody Decca!) just isnt doing it for me. Bass is light weight, the top end doesnt sparkle and there's just not as much detail and, and, and....you get the picture.

So I've decided to try to redress the balance, or, failing that to sell the PT and stick to what I'm good at. I'm currently wondering if the Arcam's phono stage is proving to be a bottleneck, it is after all only a 8cm by 6cm circuit board inside the pre amp and I've always had stand alone phono stages. It is for my work system so I dont want to spend a fortune and I've spotted this on Fleabay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250960390419&category=122650&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I dunno really. How wrong can it go for £100? Anyone tried one? The guy has great feedback from all around the world.......
Then I've got an MC waiting for retipping so I would need a transformer step up.... lets have a look for a reasonably priced one..... Goodness they dont seem to come cheaply at all.

Any (constructive!) suggestions gratefully received.

vinylspinner
28-12-2011, 17:33
Hi Darren,

Take a look at the phono stage Jerry is selling, if your cartridge is MM this is a no brainer, great little phono stage.

Nigel

Darren
28-12-2011, 18:09
Hey Spinney,
Many thanks for the heads up. At that price I can afford to give it a try and see where I end up.:doh::cool:
Best,
Darren

1000RPM
03-01-2012, 23:08
in the solid state world, why not go for a S/H Creek OBH15 (approx £100) or a Heed Questar (£150)? The creek does MC/MM, the Heed is MM only. Or a Graham Slee Gram Amp for less? Just trying to think of budget options without writing "Cambridge 640P" ;)

The Yaqin stages are considered good value, and of course you get to do a bit of tube rolling :eyebrows: I know folk who have been very pleasantly surprised by the Yaqins. They come up regularly over on Hifiwigwam classifieds as folk move up the valve stage ladder.

Epicurus
04-01-2012, 00:07
Audio-Technica has a very affordable phono stage that you might like to try. Also, the Musical Fidelity V-LPS I'm using is quite nice. And the Cambridge 640P is a great unit.