PDA

View Full Version : Album Club 27.12.11: Glasser - Ring (2010)

DanJennings
28-12-2011, 11:18
There really isn't a lot of information about Glasser (the alias of singer/songwriter Cameron Mesirow) on the internet, but I was introduced to this album by a friend some time ago, and it's marvellous. Think Cocteau Twins with a tribal feel, and even the occasional hint of Nine Inch Nails' quieter bits.

http://www.planet-mag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Glasser-Ring-album-cover.jpg

There is no wikipedia page unfortunately, but it is on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/album/4yIc2xhi7JEBdMcvybuhbw

ha! bet you thought I was going to post some demonic metal! ;)

Alex_UK
28-12-2011, 11:37
Nice choice, Dan - I have got this, but not played it a huge amount so will give me the opportunity to do just that. Happy New Year!

Audioman
28-12-2011, 13:34
Never even heard of Glasser or Cameron. Listening now. The BBC have a review which gives some background.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/63cg

Jury's out after first 2 tracks but hasn't made me switch off.

John
28-12-2011, 13:47
Dan look forward to hearing this but I was hoping for some dark demonic mental lol

Audioman
28-12-2011, 15:11
Overall this is quite a pleasant listen that starts out strong and tends to fade a little towards the end. Cameron Mesirow has a pleasant if not powerfull voice. In most respects better than some big name artists such as Florence or Dido. The whole thing does become a little bland and the sound is rather bleached.

There is an obvious reason though as the entire album appears to be made using computor software - Garageband laptop edition. So no real instruments or even real synths ! There are some imaginative arrangements though. I think this should have been a demo and the record company thrown money in to add in some real drums, some guitar and analogue synths to give the recording some texture. This is in effect a beer budget home recording. Perhaps Miss Mesirow may be given some money for her next effort based on this.

Not unpleasant, wouldn't buy but a good effort. 2 out 5.

Tim
29-12-2011, 11:30
Just listening now, interesting start and reminds me of Lykke Li. I have never heard of this band either..... will vote and update my views when it's finished. Not particularly my sort of thing, but it's early days yet and certainly a vast improvement on Britney ;)

Bazil
29-12-2011, 12:01
As with all albums that are new to me I play them over a few times to give them a chance to hook me. This starts off great she reminds me of Sinead O'Connor and its a good first track followed up by another decent song but then I lose interest and forget I'm listening and drift off with the then drifting music. Quite pleasant background stuff but only a 2/10 from me.

Alex_UK
29-12-2011, 23:39
Had another couple of spins, definitely confirms I like it, and wonder why I haven't played it more... I gave it a 4 out of 5 - and look forward to her next album. :)

Tim
29-12-2011, 23:51
Not really my thing after spinning it a couple of times now, I quite like the first track but it goes downhill after that and seems a little repetitive to my ear, but I'm not really an electronic synthesiser kind of guy.... more acoustic.

A bit confused as we seem to have gone back to 5 stars instead of 10 :scratch: I would have maybe given it a 4/5 but out of 5 it's just a 2 I'm afraid.

MartinT
30-12-2011, 06:24
I rather like this, especially the interesting percussive backdrops. Within the genre, this sounds good and is repeatable. I've had it on play on and off for a couple of days now, so 3/5 from me (agree that a scale of 10 is better for scoring).

John
30-12-2011, 07:09
I like the vocals but for me the music a bit one dimensional
I give it a two

aquapiranha
30-12-2011, 20:38
I listened to this a couple of days ago and while I can see some musical merit in there, it is just not the sort of thing I would choose to listen to in the evening to wind down to! So, a 2 from me. ( I sound really negative there don't I?)

The Vinyl Adventure
30-12-2011, 21:53
Was it Shaw who told you about this Dan?
He's had a promotion at buzzine ...
I was talking to him today, we often talk about you and you knowledge of music ... ... ...

keiths
30-12-2011, 22:01
This is pretty good.

For once, a 'modern' young, female singer that doesn't annoy me :lol: I will probably buy a copy and will keep an eye open for future releases as I feel she may well develop into something a bit special.

Out of 5, I've given it 3, but it would have been 7/10.

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2012, 18:16
Like Keith I gave it a 3 but it would have been a 7 ;)

It started off really well, kind of a cross between the Sneaker Pimps & Olive :) But I felt it got a bit samey towards the end, if it had carried on like it did with the first 3 tracks it'd have been a 4 or 8 & I may well have hunted down a CD of it.

Still might yet as I reckon I'll spin it again :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
13-01-2012, 19:08
Not really my thing, I'm afraid, so just a 2.

RichB
20-09-2012, 22:35
Using a long train ride with my nexus and spotify to catch up on some album club. This gets a 3 from me. Particularly enjoyed some of the interesting percussion stuff and thought the singer was nice. Some of it put me in mind of classic 80s artists such as soft cell and Ultravox. My sister is mad about 80s electronica and I think she'll appreciate this. Overall not a bad choice and not something I'd rush out to buy but now I'm aware of it I'd recommend to others. Still better than most of what passes for pop music nowadays.