PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Drivers and Crossovers Query

simonms
27-12-2011, 21:57
Hello Folks,

Newbie here, been drawn in by the Westminster build in DIY area and am very tempted so drawing up some plans using 18 and 24" marine ply...2 days and not completed yet! Then I will CAD it and see what they look like.

I use Klipsch (big Kllipsch) and love horn loaders but know little about Tannoy's so was wondering if I could pick your brains on suitable drivers and crossovers for these speakers?

A few kind chaps gave some advice on my Welcome post which was very kind but thought this would get a bit more attention:)

Thanks in advance:)

Si

Mr Nad
29-12-2011, 08:40
Well, this thread is a little silent, isn't it.

I'm not sure if this will be much use to you, but a while ago I wanted to beef up my Tannoys (can't recall the model) by turning them from a ported design to transmission line, just to give them a more open bass. (This is basically what Bose do in their little units, I believe).

Anyway, this was in the days before the internet, so finding information was quite tricky. I simply wrote a letter to Tannoy, explained what I was doing, and they provided me with all the information I needed.

Perhaps, if you don't get any further responses, you could try the same?

Just a thought, and probably not at all helpful. Nevertheless, I found Tannoy a very accommodating company to deal with.

Good Luck

Lenny

chelsea
29-12-2011, 15:22
Maybe contact lockwood or sign up to tannoy yahoo group.
Loads of great info there.

Jonboy
29-12-2011, 19:19
Bit of info here (http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm) on DC Tannoys, Marco i believe used the uprated crossovers on his Lockwoods

Here's another link to a Tannoy (http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/index.html)site

I hope it's of help

HPD's will be a lot cheaper than LSU's ;)

simonms
29-12-2011, 23:29
Thanky Lenny, Jon and Stuart,

Just been swallowed up into Tannoy world....been holding it off for a while.
About 6 months ago I thought Westminsters were pretty ugly looking now they seem the opposite-funny old game-will have a good look at the links so thanks.

Will also call them to see if I can get any further help on this.

Si:)