PDA

View Full Version : So I have just upgrade....

pjdowns
27-12-2011, 21:06
Hi all,

Have just upgraded my Digital Streamer to a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and also added the Gator to my Beresford Caiman.

Whilst I understand there is still a significant level of 'Burn In' required, the sound coming out of these two boxes is nothing less than remarkable...

Clearly the Touch has a better digital output and maybe the overall package is better than the Squeezbox Classic... very impressive.

Move of all though, the Gator has stunned me - Stan Beresford said that it would open things up - but I didn't quite expect to this level.... it is scary the level of detail being produced...

Here looking forward to an enjoyable 2012 listening to music :)

Paul.

bikerboy
28-12-2011, 11:10
I too have gone down this route, I sent the Caimen back to Stan for the Gaitor mod I also linked it up to the SB touch what a shock I am really pleased with the overall sound quality in its current form. I wonder what extra could be squeezed out by adding a seperate power supply to each of them.

StanleyB
28-12-2011, 11:49
Glad that you guys like the results :).

I am experimenting with a mod on the Gator board, which offers a worthwhile sonic improvement to my ears. But with the holidays etc. I haven't had much time to take pictures to show it off. I'll sort that out very soon.

bikerboy
28-12-2011, 12:58
Stan,
I think the Gaitor mod you did for me was by far and away the biggest boost to my sonic enjoyment.
Doug:D:D:D

pjdowns
28-12-2011, 16:05
Ok so day two with the upgrade of to the Squeezbox Touch... wow it is getting better and better.

Thanks again to Stan for the customer service and impressive and timely turn around on the Gator (also for the instructions on his website to fit it - even I a Electronics novice found it easy to fit!!).

Looking forward to hearing about the mod to the Gator, Stan :)

Paul.

Mike g
28-12-2011, 19:04
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a way to upgrade the dac chip. Is there? Is it worth it? And is it easy to do?

StanleyB
28-12-2011, 19:15
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a way to upgrade the dac chip. Is there? Is it worth it? And is it easy to do?
Only possible on the TC-7510 and TC-7520. It is not easy if you haven't got previous experience with SMD integrated circuits. Jimmy Drip at Tirna Electronics can help out however.

Reid Malenfant
28-12-2011, 19:20
Yes I'll vouch for that, you really need to be very proficient at soldering to take on something like this. You also need the right kit, soldering connections that are less than 1mm apart without accidentally bridging connections & doing it fast enough to keep the chip cool isn't something you can just take up :eyebrows:

Mike g
28-12-2011, 19:31
Right might give it a miss for the moment. I already enjoy the sound I'm getting and that sort of soldering is so so so far beyond me.