PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl to make radio comeback . . .

Tim
26-12-2011, 12:30
Vinyl set to make radio comeback for one day only - digital goes analogue

BBC 6Music is having a vinyl only day on New Years day. Should be a good one with the likes of Guy Garvey lending a hand :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16330702

Vinyl Revival (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010wv5g)

Cans
26-12-2011, 12:45
Question is , will we notice any difference:):):):):):):):) I shall certainly give it a listen

Cans
26-12-2011, 12:46
I shall have to listen to it online! Ain't got no radio:):):):):):):)

Spectral Morn
26-12-2011, 13:12
pity its on a digital only station :(

However interesting....

Regards D S D L

Audioman
26-12-2011, 15:35
pity its on a digital only station :(

However interesting....

Regards D S D L

Problem if it wasn't the studio feeds to the FM transmitters are almost certainly digital and involve compression. Can't see them doing rock on radio 3 anytime. Can always listen in 'better' digital via internet.

BTW. Why are those idiots at the BBC still plugging DAB on BBC TV when the government have in effect stalled it indefinitly by which time it will be a dead tecnnology. Still hell bent on wasting the licence fee !

Spectral Morn
26-12-2011, 19:27
Problem if it wasn't the studio feeds to the FM transmitters are almost certainly digital and involve compression. Can't see them doing rock on radio 3 anytime. Can always listen in 'better' digital via internet.

BTW. Why are those idiots at the BBC still plugging DAB on BBC TV when the government have in effect stalled it indefinitly by which time it will be a dead tecnnology. Still hell bent on wasting the licence fee !

Ok not picking a fight here but analogue radio sounds better than DAB regardless of the stuff going on up stream. I have fed DAB into a high quality DAC and my Leak Troughline pisses all over it and that is with commercial radio stations. In fact all my anlogue radios do as well.

Probably best we agree to differ on this right from the off............

Regards D S D L

DSJR
26-12-2011, 19:58
In the early days, I heard some captivating radio 3 broadcasts on DAB. I often listened to Radio 6 on DAB "at work" and liked the music, but not the sonics.

Remember folks, that the very best BBC Radio 3 FM that many of us admire is 13 Bit digital to the transmitter, brickwalled at 15kHz, with channel separation of 30 - 40db IIRC and 65db signal to noise.

I haven't had the experience of DAB in recent years and understand it's got a lot worse. Many people who stream their music and regard CD's, let alone vinyl, as archaic, prefer internet radio streams apparently.

WOStantonCS100
26-12-2011, 20:24
We could just look at it this way. It might influence a few hundred people to check out this whole "vinyl thing". As such, I only see it as a positive for both me and them. :) After all, AM radio sucked... and hard. But, that never prevented me from running out to get the music, on vinyl. It was and is still to my delight when I discover the hidden fidelity contained in the grooves; fidelity I couldn't hear on the broadcast(s). :)

Reid Malenfant
26-12-2011, 20:30
But, that never prevented me from running out to get the music, on vinyl. It was and is still to my delight when I discover the hidden fidelity contained in the grooves; fidelity I couldn't hear on the broadcast(s). :)
In 100% agreement. FM while better than DAB still suffered under the Optimod that was/is used so that people in cars still get to hear more. They need to boost quiet passages so they are audible.

I remember hearing a track from LFO that was on their new album (ages ago obviously :eyebrows:) & when I bought the album it sounded totally different, miles more dynamic range & vastly better for it :)

Audioman
26-12-2011, 22:13
Ok not picking a fight here but analogue radio sounds better than DAB regardless of the stuff going on up stream. I have fed DAB into a high quality DAC and my Leak Troughline pisses all over it and that is with commercial radio stations. In fact all my anlogue radios do as well.

Probably best we agree to differ on this right from the off............

Regards D S D L

I'm actualy agreeing with you - see my comment re DAB. Of course FM is still better but these days it's not pure analogue as in the old days (When they made Troughlines).

Spectral Morn
26-12-2011, 22:50
I'm actualy agreeing with you - see my comment re DAB. Of course FM is still better but these days it's not pure analogue as in the old days (When they made Troughlines).

I get frustrated re all the usual technical stuff being trundled out. I prefer FM to any other form of digital radio be it DAB or internet, regardless of the issues with FM.

I took you up wrongly, apology offered.

Regards D S D L

keiths
27-12-2011, 01:40
I wonder what kit they will be spinning the vinyl on? Did the Beeb hang on to any of its vintage TTs?

The Grand Wazoo
27-12-2011, 01:41
The World Service just sold a pair of EMT 950's a few weeks ago.

morris_minor
27-12-2011, 09:00
I wonder what kit they will be spinning the vinyl on? Did the Beeb hang on to any of its vintage TTs?

Apparently they've got a couple of Ion USB TTs to do the spinning so the quality matches the rest of the reproduction chain. ;)