PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Pair of 15" Eminence woofers

selfaddict
25-12-2011, 23:20
I am looking for a pair of Eminence EPS15-500 woofers.
Alternatively I could do with more modern Kappalite 3015LF or DEFINIMAX 4015LF.

Thanks,

Reid Malenfant
25-12-2011, 23:35
Sorry, can't help you, but I do have 8 x Beta 15", any use?

selfaddict
26-12-2011, 18:34
Hi Mark.

Thanks for the offer but not unfortunately suitable for my new subwoofer project :).

Sorry, can't help you, but I do have 8 x Beta 15", any use?

John
26-12-2011, 18:50
If using with Bastanis ensure a good upper bass response to get the best out of the Bastanis
I cannot find the specs to them but presume you done your homework already

selfaddict
26-12-2011, 19:01
Hi John.

I am planning to tip my toe to tapped baffle subwoofers wonderful world :D.

I have been reading a lot of these types of horn subwoofers over the Christmas time and I think this is something I want to try with Bastanis. What I am planning is a huge pair of corner tapped baffle horns to shake the house :lol:. This is all on the planning stage, but I really like what I have read so far and just want to start buying the woofers for the project first.

If using with Bastanis ensure a good upper bass response to get the best out of the Bastanis
I cannot find the specs to them but presume you done your homework already

Reid Malenfant
26-12-2011, 19:10
If you are going to do a tapped horn then get yourself a pair of Eminence LAB12 or LAB15 & do the job properly ;)

You need something with an incredibly stiff cone, long excursion & low resonance. IE not a PA speaker :eyebrows:

Check out Danleys THSpud & you'll see what I mean :)

John
26-12-2011, 19:44
Good luck with that

selfaddict
26-12-2011, 19:57
Hi Mark.

I tried using hornresp program, but way too difficult to me :doh:. Instead I took the lazy approach and found a ready made plans for a 20Hz tapped horn that a German chap had made, many thanks for him :cool:. He is using one 15" woofer tapped horn and a pair of 6.5" woofer tapped horns to cover the 20Hz-100Hz frequencies. This should be just perfect match with the Bastanis.

This project is not going to happen soon, because I have a big move ahead and then a total house refurbishment before I can even start building these horns. Earliest I can see everything in place will be 2013 :(.

I have the 6.5" drivers already, so just need the 15" ones.

Reid Malenfant
26-12-2011, 20:10
Ah, I see :) Before you go mad I'd suggest a good look at some tapped horn projects on DIYAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php?).

I'd suggest you'll find a good few in the subwoofer section. Only reason I'm pointing you there is because you really need to see more of these things rather than basing everything on a single design.

There are probably people on there that may well help you design one, I must admit Hornresp is a bit confusing :eyebrows: I really wanted to get to grips with it as a pair of tapped horns did (& still does) look very interesting ;)

Whatever you do I wish you luck, but please take my advice & look at other designs so you at least get a bit more of a feel for it.... Building something like this you really want to make 100% sure that you are doing exactly the right thing.

Ali Tait
26-12-2011, 20:18
I have heard a tapped bass horn at the last Owston do, using 6 inch drivers. It was very good IMHO, very tight bass without boom. Mark is correct with the type of driver needed. They were built by a young chap called Chris, who posts on audio Talk, and also on diy audio I think with the same moniker, Chriss661. Might be worth having a chat as he should be able to point you in the right direction.

John
26-12-2011, 20:20
I think good advice Mark I suggust try and hear them in a similar based system before you go down such a project. The figures suggests it will work well with the Bastanis but this is a big project if it was my money I want to feel sure I am heading in the right direction

selfaddict
26-12-2011, 20:34
This is the link that started it all to me. These guys are really dedicated to DIY and ready to help each other. I think I am on the page 288 reading it trough.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/97674-collaborative-tapped-horn-project.html

I just want to see what it is all about and because I have a huge house restoration project starting in the spring, so I can do the boxes at the same time no problem. So only thing what can go wrong is that the subs don't suit my 4 meters by 5 meters room and I have plenty of firewood for my sauna ;). I am sure I can use the drivers to another project in the future, so nothing to loose really.

Reid Malenfant
26-12-2011, 20:39
:lol: Ok, I see you have already found DIYAudio so I'll shut up :eyebrows: