PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Low power valve amp

montesquieu
24-12-2011, 22:28
I'm progressing my Tannoy bi-amp/active project and need a valve amp to power the 2in compression driver.

Sort of attributes I'm after, in no particular order:

reasonably high sensitivity (to help with level matching)
volume control for level matching (not essential as I have a Pass B1 buffer I can use for attenuation at this stage of the project but a definite 'like to have'
low power but nice sound quality - I don't care about its bass response particularly but must have a nice glow in the mid/treble and a nice way with detail.
probably single ended triode ... single ended pentode is also of interest, but actually I'm not ruling anything out as I know some low power PP amps can also sound lovely) but I'm probably not looking for anything with more than 10w and most likely quite a bit less than that.

My budget to buy is probably in the £200-300 bracket as I'm really just proving the concept so don't want to have a huge amount of money tied up in case it doesn't achieve much. However I would look at something a bit pricier (maybe up to £500 at this point) if I can borrow it first to check out suitability.

Anything interesting out there? Usual suspects are things like 2A3, 300b, 45 and so on, but single ended EL84s might be of interest and indeed a ton of others might be as well.

I was thinking something like a Decware Zen but haven't seen one of offer for ages.

Zuk
12-01-2012, 01:20
how about a Transcendant 1.5w OTL?

Cheers

Simon:D

lurcher
12-01-2012, 08:23
Maybe something around a 6em7?

jandl100
12-01-2012, 18:38
:whistle: ... care to borrow a Muse TA2020 chip amp, Tom?

You might be surprised! ;)

Avonessence
13-01-2012, 07:07
Tom,

Its a pity that you are quite a distance away from me, otherwise you would be more than welcome to loan my Audion Silver Knight 300B, to give you a flavour.

Best

James

montesquieu
13-01-2012, 09:37
:whistle: ... care to borrow a Muse TA2020 chip amp, Tom?

You might be surprised! ;)

Did buy a Kingrex, but blew it up before I could hear it!

Anyone know how to fix a busted t-amp?:doh:

BTW I think I'm sorted on this now, I previously picked up a little 2A3 integrated, though have another line of enquiry now (as outlined above)

I'm going to be using Audion PP 300b monoblocks on the bass section of the Tannoys, I must admit I would be interested to hear an Audion 300b SET on the 2in compression driver.