PDA

View Full Version : Quiex SV-P 200g vinyl

Spur07
23-12-2011, 22:52
Hi all

Has anybody here had any experience with Quiex SV vinyl? I recently bought Billie Holiday, Songs for Distingue Lovers and unfortunately there's rather a lot of unacceptable background noise. I've read elsewhere that others have had problems with Quiex vinyl and that cleaning can solve the issue. Or would I just be better off trying to return it?

Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues?

Cheers

WOStantonCS100
24-12-2011, 00:00
Hi all

Has anybody here had any experience with Quiex SV vinyl? I recently bought Billie Holiday, Songs for Distingue Lovers and unfortunately there's rather a lot of unacceptable background noise. I've read elsewhere that others have had problems with Quiex vinyl and that cleaning can solve the issue. Or would I just be better off trying to return it?

Just wondering if anyone else has had these issues?

Cheers

I've got Peter Gabriel - So and Buena Vista Social Club on Quiex SV-P 200 grams, perhaps others I can't think of at the moment. No complaints. My Billie Holiday - Songs for Distingue Lovers is a much earlier reissue, so can't speak to that specifically.

MartinT
24-12-2011, 00:17
I have some and haven't had any issues with surface noise. The Billie Holliday is an old recording - are you sure the noise wasn't on the recording?

sq225917
24-12-2011, 14:35
Never heard of any issues with Quiex, in fact their reissues tend to be very highly regarded, the Led Zep one in particular fetch insane money. It's more than likely
The recording, not the pressing

Spur07
24-12-2011, 18:46
No, I'm sure its the pressing. It seems it does happen, if you Google you'll find some disgruntled buyers, as in the review section here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=detail&title_id=8027

My 200g Quiex copy of Ella Fitzgerald, Clap Hands! is much better.

WOStantonCS100
24-12-2011, 19:07
I certainly agree about spotty handling. My Buena Vista Social Club had two Record 2's instead of a Record 1 and a Record 2. Thankfully, the web retailer sorted that situation very quickly without requiring me to send back the duplicate.

I was one of those folks who paid more for the Led Zep II reissue than I really wanted to. The sound is very good. In fact, it's so good that it shows how "all over the place" that recording really is.

It's a bummer if you got a bad one. They are other good pressings of this LP around; so, maybe it makes sense to send it back.

Spur07
24-12-2011, 19:50
I certainly agree about spotty handling. My Buena Vista Social Club had two Record 2's instead of a Record 1 and a Record 2. Thankfully, the web retailer sorted that situation very quickly without requiring me to send back the duplicate.

I was one of those folks who paid more for the Led Zep II reissue than I really wanted to. The sound is very good. In fact, it's so good that it shows how "all over the place" that recording really is.

It's a bummer if you got a bad one. They are other good pressings of this LP around; so, maybe it makes sense to send it back.

Yeah, I think I've been lucky recently with all the new vinyl I've been buying - this is the first blip. Just listening to it now - crackles and the occasional pop. It's not drastic but just enough to be annoying when played loud which it needs to be. Side 1 is much cleaner, easily acceptable. Not sure whether to send it back or try and get it cleaned. Don't suppose he'll have anymore in stock or refund me anytime soon if I did return it.

The sound is excellent btw, streets ahead of the CD, even on my cheap Nad TT.

keiths
24-12-2011, 20:44
Hi Paul, How's your Lenco project going?

Spur07
24-12-2011, 23:07
Hi Paul, How's your Lenco project going?

Hi Keith

Merry christmas.

I haven't got very far I'm afraid. I've stripped it and sanded it down ready for painting - can't decide on the colour scheme. Was originally going for classic grey with a gloss red plinth but now thinking suede brown with ivory white plinth. Now whether I'll be able to put it all back together again is a different matter :D I've just bought Joel's kit for a better Lenco. The plinth is still half finished - Haven't managed to get on the router yet. I'm hoping to get on to it after christmas if I can get some time off work. I'm keeping the original (L70) arm - that'll be sent away for re-wiring, etc, probably to Dominic. In the future I'm thinking of adding my Rega arm the other side but that will involve building a separate plinth block to attach on to the main plinth as I'd already cut the squares for my current design (if that makes any sense).

I can't wait. I'm currently using an old Nad 533 TT I bought for £40 and on some albums it smokes my HD/buffalo dac set up, although to be fair my vintage speakers weren't built for digital.

Spur07
24-12-2011, 23:11
Regarding the Quiex issue, just spoken to Tony over on Pink Fish as I knew he also had Lovers for Distingue lovers on Classic Records. he told me this:

Some of the 200g Classics do have problems, I've heard a few crackly ones (I've got lots of them), I believe it's down to the vinyl cooling before it's been pressed to the furthest reaches of the press, it's called 'stitching' or 'infill' or something and is down to 200g really being too thick - usually occurs within the outside half inch or so of the playing surface which supports this theory. I think it's what did for Classic Records in the end, too many returns, and the company folded. A great shame as the mastering, cover quality etc is absolutely top drawer.

keiths
24-12-2011, 23:50
Merry Christmas to you too Paul. Glad the Lenco is still on track. I'm loving mine. Also glad you're keeping the L70 arm - it's one thing butchering a '75, but I think the '70 should be kept as original as possible .

I don't have the record you are having problems with, but I had several 200g Classic Records reissues and about 50% were duff pressings. I think 200g is pointless - 160g to 180g is plenty heavy enough imho.

Audioman
25-12-2011, 00:29
Quiex 200 SVP vinyl had a patchy record. RTI pressed them originaly then several other plants after they would not do any more for Classic Records. Some runs were great but others beset by problems. Classic records repressed a lot of titles shortly before closing down and in my experience whole runs of some titles could be noisy while others are fine. They also had problems with repetitive ticks, off centre pressings and dishing.

Basicaly a crapshoot but usualy 3 out of 4 were near perfect and the mastering varied from very good to great. There appear to be quite a few of the less popular titles still available from dealers 2 years after the closure of Classic Records.