PDA

View Full Version : Teac

ledzep
20-12-2011, 18:01
Teac vrds t1 or se,Anyone had one of these,are they any good? cheers

DSJR
20-12-2011, 18:24
They work well, but under the flash mouldings is a humble cheapo Sony CD drive which has been modified. Should mean cheap laser replacements though and the casework is to die for...

This, from Andr'e some time ago -

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/TEAC-T1/VRDS-T1.html

jon1
20-12-2011, 18:37
Teac vrds t1 or se,Anyone had one of these,are they any good? cheers

Dan Looks like you might have to aim for a higher model:)

jon

ledzep
20-12-2011, 19:01
I know jon1 but its what funds allow, oh dear i wont bother with that after reading the info (DSJR) ,also ive got to save to buy a a croft power amp (Dave W)

Ali Tait
20-12-2011, 19:13
Pioneer PD series make good transports. Can be picked up cheaply too.

jon1
20-12-2011, 19:13
I know jon1 but its what funds allow, oh dear i wont bother with that after reading the info (DSJR) ,also ive got to save to buy a a croft power amp (Dave W)

Dan It's a teac cd player/sony at the end of the day..as the saying gose it is your choice... like you said it is only £100..and you are saving up croft amp good choice BTW;)

jon

jon1
20-12-2011, 19:17

I have a teac cd player i yous it as a transport myself:eyebrows:

jon

ledzep
20-12-2011, 19:17
wont bother with the teac now lol,yeah i got the croft 25 pre (stunning!!),cant wait to get the power amp. ok how about a leema stream2 cdp anythoughts?

jon1
20-12-2011, 19:20
wont bother with the teac now lol,yeah i got the croft 25 pre (stunning!!),cant wait to get the power amp. ok how about a leema stream2 cdp anythoughts?

Aye,Glenn the maestro:eyebrows:

jon

ledzep
20-12-2011, 19:22
Glenn Croft the name in every household

jon1
20-12-2011, 19:25
Glenn Croft the name in every household

Dan... just the one room:D

jon

ledzep
20-12-2011, 19:27
getting back to original thread,are leema cdps any good?

hoopsontoast
20-12-2011, 19:32
The VRDS T1 is the same mech as the VRDS 7 but just the transport, which i belive is the same as the VRDS 9.
The VRDS 10 or 10SE is the model to start with, they use the proper VRDS mechs (CMK-3.2) which is the same as the 20,25, 25X and above. The main difference being the DAC board(s).
The main downside of the better models is the availability of the KSS-151 laser, can get expensive if you need a new one.

FWIW, I have gone from a £300 VRDS 10SE to a £50 Philips CD-850 and have not noticed a massive difference. The Philips CDPs of this vintage are said to be great transports.

DSJR
20-12-2011, 19:59
Wish I could find one for £50 :)

You know, an Arcam Alpha 5 or 6 may have a lousy case, but the CD-M9 mech was one of the best tracking transports Philips ever made, the loading cog can be easily obtained now as a pattern copy and the chipset in the 5 and 5 Plus can be modified to high heaven. They can still go for under a ton I think. For half that, a Marantz CD63 series is fair bodging game and the Rotel 965BX in any form is very cheap still...

jon1
20-12-2011, 20:06
Wish I could find one for £50 :)

You know, an Arcam Alpha 5 or 6 may have a lousy case, but the CD-M9 mech was one of the best tracking transports Philips ever made, the loading cog can be easily obtained now as a pattern copy and the chipset in the 5 and 5 Plus can be modified to high heaven. They can still go for under a ton I think. For half that, a Marantz CD63 series is fair bodging game and the Rotel 965BX in any form is very cheap still...

Funny you should say that dave i have a arcam alpha 5+one owner fron new:D..not for sale

jon

Audioman
20-12-2011, 23:08
The so called bodged transport does appear to work to some degree in my experience. I picked a VRDS 7 over the current Alpha circa 1994. Frankly it was much better IMHO and represented good value at it's price. It's probable that Dac design has as much influence on the sound differences anyway. The VRDS7 is a nice player to use and is very well built apart from the let down of a plastic draw. Not Sony ES standards of build though ! The machines are reliable and are still repairable which is the most important thing with old models, otherwise you end up with an expensive door stop.

hoopsontoast
21-12-2011, 08:34
Oh compared to most transports the T1/VRDS7 are great, but not in the same league as the 'proper' VRDS ;)

But then as mentioned, I am happy enjoying the Philips CDP which is even older than the 10SE :mental:

Dingdong
21-12-2011, 09:22
The VRDS T1 is the same mech as the VRDS 7 but just the transport, which i belive is the same as the VRDS 9.
The VRDS 10 or 10SE is the model to start with, they use the proper VRDS mechs (CMK-3.2) which is the same as the 20,25, 25X and above. The main difference being the DAC board(s).
The main downside of the better models is the availability of the KSS-151 laser, can get expensive if you need a new one.

FWIW, I have gone from a £300 VRDS 10SE to a £50 Philips CD-850 and have not noticed a massive difference. The Philips CDPs of this vintage are said to be great transports.

The 9 is slightly different from the 7. Different lasers. Both still available cheaply, though.
I quite like the Teac vrds players. I'm using a 7 at the moment. Picked up for £90. I've got a spare one that I picked up for £85. I replaced the mains cable and put it on a Mission Isoplat and it sounds bloody good to me. Might upgrade the clock and maybe the op-amps and regulators when I can be arsed, but there is no rush for that.
If you are looking for an older cdp or transport I'd always recommend one were you can still get replacement lasers.

DSJR
21-12-2011, 12:19
I had a VRDS10 SE for a while when it was current and in the AVI/ATC system it came into its own as a transport I seem to remember, used with the rare but good AVI DAC (with "our favourite" chipset inside). I also had a Marantz CD10, but the "bitstream" chipset was just a bit too squidgy in my then setup. Probably easily sorted today, but I wasn't into bodging back then.

After the heavyweight mechs of the late 80's, I do have a very high regard for the CD-M9 mech, as it's reliable, reads and tracks CD's superbly compared to the cheaper far eastern "triple beam" alternatives from this era and I think it's still servicable to a degree..

Reid Malenfant
21-12-2011, 19:37
You know, an Arcam Alpha 5 or 6 may have a lousy case, but the CD-M9 mech was one of the best tracking transports Philips ever made, the loading cog can be easily obtained now as a pattern copy
:lol: Yes that blasted loading cog was a bitch ;) I'm assuming the same was used with the CDM-9 Pro? Some kind of light brown looking thing which started stripping teeth :( Poxy design...

I got so hacked off with it that I cut the offending teeth off & glued on Nylon teeth from some other player that was fubar to get my Theta Data Basic draw running sweetly again :eyebrows:

jon1
21-12-2011, 19:45
:lol: Yes that blasted loading cog was a bitch ;) I'm assuming the same was used with the CDM-9 Pro? Some kind of light brown looking thing which started stripping teeth :( Poxy design...

I got so hacked off with it that I cut the offending teeth off & glued on Nylon teeth from some other player that was fubar to get my Theta Data Basic draw running sweetly again :eyebrows:

Just had to replace mine:D

jon

Reid Malenfant
21-12-2011, 19:49
As ever Mark does it on the cheap, but if the new ones aren't nylon they give eventually to.

I even considered putting a handle on the draw to do it manually until I found that Nylon version :idea:

In the end I thought I'd better not, keep it standard as it's worth more ;)

:eyebrows:

jon1
21-12-2011, 19:53
As ever Mark does it on the cheap, but if the new ones aren't nylon they give eventually to.

I even considered putting a handle on the draw to do it manually until I found that Nylon version :idea:

In the end I thought I'd better not, keep it standard as it's worth more ;)

:eyebrows:

Mark you have being watching to much blue peter:D

jon

Reid Malenfant
21-12-2011, 19:59
:lol: You know they still had to be shown how to use a toilet roll tube & how not to glue their fingers together :rfl:

I just think about things before doing them :hmm:

jon1
21-12-2011, 20:04
:lol: You know they still had to be shown how to use a toilet roll tube & how not to glue their fingers together :rfl:

I just think about things before doing them :hmm:

Did you take note?:eyebrows::D

jon

smithy
05-02-2012, 13:45
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/cityopticians/photo-22.jpghttp://My P700

jon1
05-02-2012, 16:55
Very nice Philip:thumbsup:

jon

vintagevinyllover
09-02-2012, 09:40
Hi,
I had a Teac vdrs T1 bought from new for years, maybe 10+. I adored it, both the noises it made and the heavy duty build quality. Total bargain! At one time I was partnering it with a Pink Triangle DAC (supposedly the last one ever made according to PT).
Then sadly the T1 got into bother with the CD sled jammingintermittantly. Professional diagnosis said it couldn't be repaired and no parts - it might be a sony sled but the VDRS clamp system I'm told was unique to the T1, although VDRS was used in other Teac players apparently they were all subtly different or of different materials and didn't fit. That was from an independent repairer not looking to sell me any new kit. Only solutions was either to obtain another one for the parts or move on....I moved on and the PT DAC also went to a good home. A sad day but this T1 was in constant use in it's lifetime and worth every penny, and until the untimely end it was totally reliable. I now have a Copland single box solution and it needed a much bigger outlay to better the T1 in sound and build

and I'd totally forgotten that I'd had the Teac clocked by trichord about half-way through its life - that really made all the difference!