PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compared Whest PS.30r and Ayre P-5xe phono stages?

misterharrison
20-12-2011, 15:37
Hi all

After faffing around with various mid-range phono stages such as Heed, Lehmann and so on, I have decided to try to buy the last phono stage I will ever need. I did get hold of an EAR 834P, but I didn't like what it did with the bass, especially since a large portion of my collection is electronica and other electronic music, so I have decided to stick to SS phono pres. I also listen to a lot of 70s soul, jazz and funk. The groove is king round these parts!

The Whest PS.30r and the Ayre P-5xe both have had stellar reviews and are around the same price point, so I am surprised not to have found any direct comparisons online. I like that they both have the option of balanced XLR outs, as my custom preamp has balanced inputs, as does my RME soundcard for ripping purposes. I'm not sure if I would use the Ayre's balanced inputs, although I am curious about them! It is difficult for me to get either of them in for an audition as I live in Portugal, so I need some experienced heads with experience of these units to give me the low down, if at all possible.

I am aware that MartinT on here uses the Whest and Selfaddict uses the Ayre, so any input from them would obviously be nice. Also I don't know if either of them have ever done a direct comparison?

My cartridges are a 2M Black (MM, obviously) and a soon-to-arrive Shelter 5000 (MC). My speakers are ATC SCM50 actives.

Many thanks in advance.

Wakefield Turntables
20-12-2011, 20:37
This should be interesting cos I have ATC ASL50's and I also intend at some point to get the Whest 3.0xx or maybe even something a little more exotic if funds permit.