PDA

View Full Version : Yet another headshell cartridge match question

TBL
19-12-2011, 23:07
Been doing some searching on headshell matching and only succeeded in confusing my self. I realise that matching a cartridge to a headshell requires taking a number factors into consideration such as arm/cartridge mass compliance etc. But as a general principal would it be safe to assume that the heavier the cartridge the light the headshell and visa versa?

So for example one of my carts is a Dynavector 17d2 weighing in at a measly 5.3g I currently have this mounted on a aloy headshell weighing 10.7g.

Is there such thing as an optimum target for the combines weight? For reference I use a medium mass arm (12" Thomas Shick)

Reason for the question is a new chrissie present winging its way as we speak which is almost sumo by comparison and weighing in at a hefty 13.5g and I'm wondering if I should be searching out a more suitable headshell.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

MartinT
19-12-2011, 23:34
But as a general principal would it be safe to assume that the heavier the cartridge the light the headshell and visa versa?

No. It's better to think that the lower the compliance the heavier the headshell required.

In other words, a high compliance cartridge like a Shure MM will need a relatively light headshell. A low compliance cartridge, like most MCs, will need a heavier headshell. The Dynavectors you quote would be happy with 12-16g headshells at a guess (it does depend on the arm's effective mass, too). The 13.5g shell may well be ideal.

My Shelter 5000 cartridge rather likes the 18g Dynavector headshell I run it in.

TBL
20-12-2011, 09:47
No. It's better to think that the lower the compliance the heavier the headshell required.

In other words, a high compliance cartridge like a Shure MM will need a relatively light headshell. A low compliance cartridge, like most MCs, will need a heavier headshell. The Dynavectors you quote would be happy with 12-16g headshells at a guess (it does depend on the arm's effective mass, too). The 13.5g shell may well be ideal.

My Shelter 5000 cartridge rather likes the 18g Dynavector headshell I run it in.

Thanks Martin the 13,5g quoted was the weight of the new cartridge not the headshell. However the new cart is an Air Tight PC-3 and try as I might I can't find any info on compliance. I'm guessing that as a pretty hi end MC it will be low, but could easily be wrong.

MartinT
20-12-2011, 10:30
My guess would be it's low, too. Nice cartridge.

Something like this would be appropriate:
http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Cartridges/product/Audio-Technica_AT-Ti15ANV_50th_Anniversary_Limited_Headshell.html

1000RPM
20-12-2011, 13:06
so how would a DL-110 HOMC fair with a Sumiko? Having just ordered said headshell, I'm keen to know if it is an ok match for the Denon cart.

MartinT
20-12-2011, 15:34
The DL110 is a medium compliance high output MC and should suit the Sumiko headshell well.

TBL
20-12-2011, 16:39

Something like this would be appropriate:
http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Cartridges/product/Audio-Technica_AT-Ti15ANV_50th_Anniversary_Limited_Headshell.html

I was thinking of something more like this

http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=90&products_id=3746&osCsid=wzwufbvqrx

or Possibly a wooden Yamamoto at about half the price

MartinT
20-12-2011, 17:59
The Ikeda looks nice and solid. I wouldn't buy the wooden 'shell without trying it as it may be too light for the Air Tight.

1000RPM
21-12-2011, 00:28
The DL110 is a medium compliance high output MC and should suit the Sumiko headshell well.

thanks Martin

TBL
30-12-2011, 15:50

Nope, we were both wrong. Received it today and Air Tight classify it as high.

chelsea
30-12-2011, 15:54
How does a headshell make a difference?
Surely once you have reset the weight of the headshell it is null and void.

MartinT
30-12-2011, 18:10
Headshells are subject to tiny stresses and resonances, which can easily be picked up by the transducer in the cartridge. The lower the compliance, the stiffer the headshell needs to be, generally speaking.