PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, low output power amps (T-Amp/Digital or ??)

hoopsontoast
19-12-2011, 22:33
Ive started reading through this thread -
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6050

And I am still on the look out for a replacment power amp for the TA2020 based T-Amp and Bantam Gold that are both on loan.
I have a Cambridge Audio P500 as well atm to tide me over.

I dont need much power, getting more than enough output from the TA2020 and I actually prefer it to the Bantam Gold. Seems more open and lively.

Got a pre-amp soon so power amp would be ideal. And a mono version of the TA2020 would be perfect but as far as I know, there are not any mono versions of the Tripath PCB's/Chips. Gainclone style DIY is an option as well.

Are there any other low powered cheap power amps around? (<£100)

jandl100
20-12-2011, 07:29
What's to stop you staying with a Mini-T TA2020 as that seems to give you what you want, Rob? :scratch:

Just wind it up to full volume if you are using a pre. :thumbsup:
If your speakers can bi-wire, then get 2 Mini-T amps for bi-amping, one for each channel with a y-splitter cable connector.

When there is good Mini-T / speaker synergy the Mini-T is bloody hard to beat! I agree with you that it sounds better than the higher powered T-amps. :eyebrows:

worthingpagan
20-12-2011, 07:44
If your speakers can bi-wire, then get 2 Mini-T amps for bi-amping, one for each channel with a y-splitter cable connector.

I agree with you that it sounds better than the higher powered T-amps. :eyebrows:

Jerry, is that the right way to use these amps? I'm sure i read somewhere that the pre/source had to be cranked right up and the t amp volumed accordingly? (just checking, not looking for a fight) ;) I followed your point about the sound quality and rather than plum for the 50watt version have gone for the ta2020. Cheers, mark

jandl100
20-12-2011, 07:57
Wow - you've bought a Mini-T? That's great - you can always send it back for a refund if you think I'm talking rubbish! :)

Re: volume setting. Yup, fine, Just do what suits you best! I'm pretty sure that the volume on the Mini-T is just a passive attenuator, so winding it up full would seem to be taking it most out of circuit, which should be best I would have thought? ... :scratch:

Dunno. Whatever! :) Enjoy! ... I'm much looking forward to reading your thoughts about the amps!

hoopsontoast
20-12-2011, 08:28
I wanted to see if there were any other similar alternatives to the 'standard' TA2020 T-Amp. Possible DIY, like the DIYparadise Charlize, or AMP32/41Hz.

Tarzan
20-12-2011, 13:51
What's to stop you staying with a Mini-T TA2020 as that seems to give you what you want, Rob? :scratch:

When there is good Mini-T / speaker synergy the Mini-T is bloody hard to beat! I agree with you that it sounds better than the higher powered T-amps. :eyebrows

Jerry, can you get any extra gain/volume using the Mini T in either fashion?:)

jandl100
20-12-2011, 13:58
Bi-amping Mini-T's?

No extra gain, but you get the 2ch power of each amp into each speaker (1 channel for the mid/tweeter, 1 for the bass), so a tad more wallop is available.

TBH, when I tried it the gains weren't large, but then I was happy with 1 - but if you're at the edge of the acceptable envelope with 1, 2 should help, I think.

hoopsontoast
20-12-2011, 14:11
Jerry, did you try using one channel from each, so the Left speaker uses one T-Amp on the left channel, and the Right speaker uses another T-Amp on the right channel?
So effectively mono-blocks, but without the circuits being bridged.

jandl100
20-12-2011, 14:14
Nope, I didn't try that, Rob.

I guess that would let the whole PS just feed one channel? Hmm ... that never occurred to me at the time.

hoopsontoast
20-12-2011, 14:20
Yeah thats what I was thinking, maybe could get an improvement in channel separation/soundstage?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15411.0

Tarzan
20-12-2011, 15:13
Jerry, did you try using one channel from each, so the Left speaker uses one T-Amp on the left channel, and the Right speaker uses another T-Amp on the right channel?
So effectively mono-blocks, but without the circuits being bridged.

This is getting interesting- you couldn't damage amps/ speakers using this set-up could you?:scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
20-12-2011, 18:45
No - you won't damage anything as long as you wire it up right
Vertical bi-amping (as described) usually gives better results than doing it horizontally because of the absolute separation of channels.

Tarzan
20-12-2011, 19:30
How would you connect to a pre- amp? Excuse me for being stupid:)

Reid Malenfant
20-12-2011, 19:33
Use something like this or similar (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLD-1-2-RCA-PHONO-AV-AUDIO-VIDEO-Y-SPLITTER-ADAPTER-/290389045536?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item439c893120) to split the output of the pre amp to drive two power amps :)

The Grand Wazoo
20-12-2011, 19:44
As Mark implies, take the left channel interconnect & plug it into one of the sockets on the splitter he linked to (other more blingy versions are available), add one more to the other side & stick it into the left channel pre out, then connect the other ends to one of the power amps. Do the same for the other side. It pays to label everything as you go so you don't end up with something silly like the left channel bass coming out of the right hand speaker.

If you put your power amps close to the speakers & the pre to power links are a long way, you might want to think about saving some of your cable budget by putting a 3-way all-female splitter (http://images.buyitsellit.com/1105949_290.jpg) at the end of a long stereo pair & having just a short run from it to the power amps

Alternatively, Mark Grant sells a bespoke bifurcated cable (http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_60&products_id=210) specifically for the job.

The Grand Wazoo
20-12-2011, 19:46
...........oh & this article (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818) in the AOS Library may just help you get your head round the layout of the cable spagetti!