PDA

View Full Version : Shure cartridges

Lee Henley
19-12-2011, 13:49
I really like the Shure cart that I have the SC35C new type not the original USA made one, is there any other Shure carts a bit further up the chain I could consider, there are alwys some for sale on the 'bay' but to me its a bit of a minefield.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Lee

DSJR
19-12-2011, 20:10
The SC35 has, what I'd call anyway, a rolled off treble... This response is refined and shared in all of the "EJ" variants. I have here the M70EJ and M93E in working condition and both the thin and thicker diameter cantilevers. Too dull for me though...

The current M97XE has loading issues like many Shures and will also exhibit a slightly falling treble into 47K and nominal capacitance. I understand that this one ideally needs 68K to flatten it fully - so no problem fir Quad 33 owners then :) With any luck, you'll get most of the "balls" of the SC35, but more refinement and tons better tracing of inner grooves.... The traditional way of just adding capacitance boosts the sagging response a little, which then dies a death above this (around 10kHz IIRC). Increasing the impedance load keeps the bandwidth beyond 20KHz but lifts the level to something approaching "flat."

So, the M97XE should be the modern one to look for and later, fit a Jico SAS stylus to it :)

Dingdong
19-12-2011, 21:35
You could try a V15iv, VST V or even an Ultra if you can find one. Slap a new Jico SAS stylus in it and I'm sure (parden the pun) you'll be quite happy.

DSJR
19-12-2011, 21:51
I agree, but they don't sound like the SC35.....

[Waffling bullsh*t removed]

Dingdong
19-12-2011, 22:04
I have an M95ED and a VST V. The 95 is quite a decent cartridge, but the VST has far more detail and a tighter bottom end.
I may compare it to an mc one day. Maybe after I get the SP10 over Xmas.

kor952
20-12-2011, 00:14
I have two old Shure cartridges, a M75D and a V15 III, the M75 sounds best at the moment with a Tonar HE needle, with the radial and elliptiacal needle it sounds dull that's why I am now looking for a HE needle for the V15 III to.

Ronald.

Dingdong
20-12-2011, 00:21
Try one of these. They are highly rated.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1444

kor952
20-12-2011, 00:52
Try one of these. They are highly rated.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1444

Thanks, but it's rather pricey...a Tonar VN35HE is half the price. And because I only will play them in my old Dual 701 I think I'll go for the Tonar.

Ronald.

DSJR
20-12-2011, 09:06
You ONLY play them in a Dual 701??? wash your mouth out sir!!!! :D

The 701, with soft spacer in the label recess and an NAS Spacemat (in my case) can sound superb still and although the arm is a bit "lively," it's more than good enough for medium to high compliance cartridges... Shure's V15 series work perfectly as the counterweight was tuned for them, although an Ortofon MC30 Super and AT OC9 sound fab too (one of my Supex 900E's far less so).

Seriously, the V15 III with stock stylus does sound a bit relentless and hard-toned whereas a VN35 HE stylus I fitted once sounded far better (and in a TD160 with heavy headshell too).

I understand that EsCo can sell and recommend third-party Shure styli as well - and for not much money either. Not made by them, but hopefully vouched for as being basically suitable...

My favourite vintage cartridges in the Dual 701 so far are the Ortofon M20FL Super (needs some albums under its belt before it "frees off" its new stylus) and the V15VMR, which apparently is taken higher with an SAS stylus...

More meaningless waffle, apologies and hope it helps a bit.....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/2f23ffb2.jpg

kor952
20-12-2011, 15:36
Hi Dave, I did send you a PM....

Ronald.

DSJR
20-12-2011, 16:16
Turntables come and turntables go (rarely round here ;)), but the 701 shall stay for ever...

Lee Henley
20-12-2011, 17:06
Thanks for all the options guys, certainly something to look into

Cheers

Lee

Lee Henley
30-12-2011, 13:59
Well I brought a cartridge in the end, a Shure M75ED, it arrived today and Im just giving it a play, for £22 delivered its a real nice cart, I do like the Shure sound.

Im going to get me a Goldring G800 next followed by an Ortofon VMS, the Ortofon VMS are supposed to be very good for old Jazz records, Ive just brought 13 Oscar Peterson recordings from a local charity shop for £13 so figure they need the right cart to go with them!

Here is a link to the Shure

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130622172366?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2234wt_1165

Cheers

Lee

cuddles
30-12-2011, 14:55
You ONLY play them in a Dual 701??? wash your mouth out sir!!!! :D

The 701, with soft spacer in the label recess and an NAS Spacemat (in my case) can sound superb still and although the arm is a bit "lively," it's more than good enough for medium to high compliance cartridges... Shure's V15 series work perfectly as the counterweight was tuned for them, although an Ortofon MC30 Super and AT OC9 sound fab too (one of my Supex 900E's far less so).

Seriously, the V15 III with stock stylus does sound a bit relentless and hard-toned whereas a VN35 HE stylus I fitted once sounded far better (and in a TD160 with heavy headshell too).

I understand that EsCo can sell and recommend third-party Shure styli as well - and for not much money either. Not made by them, but hopefully vouched for as being basically suitable...

My favourite vintage cartridges in the Dual 701 so far are the Ortofon M20FL Super (needs some albums under its belt before it "frees off" its new stylus) and the V15VMR, which apparently is taken higher with an SAS stylus...

More meaningless waffle, apologies and hope it helps a bit.....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/2f23ffb2.jpg

'One World'?

DSJR
30-12-2011, 20:27
Yeah, think so :)

Leepal
31-12-2011, 20:20
Well I brought a cartridge in the end, a Shure M75ED, it arrived today and Im just giving it a play, for £22 delivered its a real nice cart, I do like the Shure sound.

Im going to get me a Goldring G800 next followed by an Ortofon VMS, the Ortofon VMS are supposed to be very good for old Jazz records, Ive just brought 13 Oscar Peterson recordings from a local charity shop for £13 so figure they need the right cart to go with them!

Uncannily, I own all three of those cartridges. I think the Shure M75 just about shades it as my favourite although they are all good and there's not much in it. I'm using generic replacement styluses for all these, the VMS is a 5E which is bottom of the range. I'm thinking of maybe a Jico SAS for the Shure but that's a way off yet as they're not cheap.

DSJR
31-12-2011, 23:51
The VMS5E isn't bad at all and tracks pretty well. The 20 and 30 models are a bit under damped in the bass region IMO and not as good as an M20FL Super, which comes up for sale occasionally, along with new styli (needs some running from new, but really good once bedded in).

Lee Henley
01-01-2012, 16:51
Had a few days with the Shure and to be fair for the money its a real nice cart, definitely tightened the bass up a bit compared to the Sc35C that I was previously using, now off to track down a VMS !