PDA

View Full Version : Celestion ditton 25 opinions please

dantheman91
17-12-2011, 15:48
Hi

im thinking about buying a pair of these speakers but i would like to know what there sound capabilties are like. are the similer to the 66's opions would be greatfull ;):cool:

Dan

Ali Tait
17-12-2011, 16:54
Bit difficult to describe really. The midrange is unmatched when you have them set up correctly. Statics give incredible transparency, so will tell you exactly what is going on with the electronics feeding them. Impedance is generally kind, though there is a dip to 2 ohms or so in the treble, which can upset some amps, especially SS ones.

Some folk say they are curtailed in the bass, though I think a lot of that is just the different presentation of a panel speaker. A lot of folk say the same about OB's when they first hear them, but it's just that you are not hearing the contribution of a box to the bass, so it sounds subjectively lighter, but in reality it's just more accurate bass. The 57's go lower than you think, though if you are used to box speakers, they do sound lacking at first.

You do need the space to accommodate them, and if you could live with a stacked pair, so much the better!

Reid Malenfant
17-12-2011, 16:58
:scratch: ditton 25 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=celestion+ditton+25&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ncnsTpeKLcPr8QPD17GsCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1159&bih=640)

They'll be very similar to the ditton 66 in the bass end. The only real difference is the mid & treble drivers. I last heard a pair when I was about 14 so can't really comment :eyebrows:

dantheman91
17-12-2011, 18:12
fair enough guys ill think about it but again i dont think i need anymore speakers i have 7 pairs and about 4 amps so my room i a little cluttered at the moment:mental: though i dont think im that bad at houling.

theres a really nice pair on the bay at the moment
Dan

DSJR
17-12-2011, 20:58
Ditton 44's and 66's eat them alive in the midrange and you'll need to sit well away from them for the two side-by-side tweeters to even begin to blend...

"Muddle in the middle" was the HiFi Sound review conclusion I remember. HiFi dave has this speaker group test I discovered, but I don't think he has a scanner...

The two tweeters were needed to bring the treble sensitivity up to match the bass units. The HF1300 doesn't go low enough for a seamless transition to the large bass-mid driver but that wasn't such an issue back then (late 60's to early 70's).

In your shoes, I'd wait for some Ditton 44's, or Beovox 5702's (yes, really ;))

Rare Bird
22-12-2011, 14:35
You could get yourself a pair of 'MD500' midrange units, a pair of old 66 X-Overs, you could build yourself a pair of '66's out of them.

In your shoes, I'd wait for some Ditton 44's, or Beovox 5702's (yes, really ;))

Woof Woof Tandberg TL-5020 ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/TL5020.jpg