PDA

View Full Version : Why does my MC Scheu (Benz Micro glider) not perform?

kor952
14-12-2011, 11:24
I bought my Scheu Premier in 2000 along with a Scheu Classic tonearm and a MC Scheu high output catridge (wich is a Benz Micro Glider clone). I was/am not impressed by the sound quality of the MC Scheu. A few years back I bought a DL-103R and this cartridge sounds much better as the MC Scheu. Anyone any idea what is wrong? Is it the combination arm/cartridge? Is it because it's a high output (1,6 mV) MC? It sounded at it's best combined with a pair of Lundahl 1:5 stepups. I also tried it in my Dual 701 but also in this TT it is outperformed by a Shure M75 with a HE needle.
I ordered a new Jelco SA-750 LB (did not receive it yet) but I already did read that the combination Jelco 750 (can't remember if it was the D or the L) with the Glider also isn't a good match either.
I thought a Glider should outperform a DL-103R or am I wrong?
Below some pictures from the Scheu mounted in a Dual headshell.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k544/kor952/005-detail.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k544/kor952/003-detail.jpg

sq225917
14-12-2011, 13:14
Well looking at the top picture, you don't seem to have enough weight on it for starters, that cantilever looks far from being in the middle of the circular cut out of the Yoke, in fact it almost looks like it's still touching the underside. What tracking weight do you have it set at and how do you measure this?

Secondly what phonostage is it running into and what was the Denon running into. A MM stage might not load the cart correctly rolling off the top end, while a MC stage might be driven into clipping.

kor952
14-12-2011, 14:15
Well looking at the top picture, you don't seem to have enough weight on it for starters, that cantilever looks far from being in the middle of the circular cut out of the Yoke, in fact it almost looks like it's still touching the underside. What tracking weight do you have it set at and how do you measure this?

Secondly what phonostage is it running into and what was the Denon running into. A MM stage might not load the cart correctly rolling off the top end, while a MC stage might be driven into clipping.

That with the cantilever not in the middle of the whole I also noticed. That's why I took the pictures and send them to Ulla Scheu. She answered me yesterday that she is not able to judge from pictures so I have to return the cartridge to her and she on her turn will send it to Benz.
I use a 36 dB gain MM Audio Note M7 Phono clone preamp, load is 47K. I also tried a 40/50 dB strapable preamp also 47K load, both with same result. I use both also with the 103R + Lundahl 1:10 stepups.
The VTW used is 2g (mN) (adviced is 1.8 - 2.2), checked with a Shure SFG-2 force gauge.
I also thought the cantilever touches the underside of the whole in the Yoke, but afterwards i think the sound should be much worse if it realy does. The cantilever is mounted in a very small white plastic tube maybe this tube still makes contact with the Yoke.
Thanks,

Ronald.

Audioman
14-12-2011, 16:05
By high output do you mean it has equivalent output to a MM or a lower output higher than the normal MC ? I think Benz may do both in which case a MC compatible pre amp may be required. Also in the passive position photo that cantilever looks mighty close to the aperture in the body and could be touching.

kor952
14-12-2011, 17:36
By high output do you mean it has equivalent output to a MM or a lower output higher than the normal MC ? I think Benz may do both in which case a MC compatible pre amp may be required. Also in the passive position photo that cantilever looks mighty close to the aperture in the body and could be touching.

The output is 1.6 mV. I think it is lower as a MM with 3.5 - 5 mV but much higher as a low or medium ouput MC.

Ronald.

Edit.

I have decided to send it to Mrs Scheu in January, I first want to give it an opportunity in the new Jelco SA-750 LB.

Werner
15-12-2011, 11:04
I bought my MC Scheu some 13 years ago. It was, and still is, an excellent cartridge in all respects. It is happy with any loading over 1 kOhms, and I even used it successfully into current-mode phonostages. It also went well with Rega, SME, and Technics arms.

BTW, it is not a Glider. When the MC Scheu was conceived it was more advanced than the contemporary Glider. The Glider has evolved since then, perhaps it is now closer to the Scheu?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/benz_mc_scheu.jpg

kor952
15-12-2011, 11:20
I bought my MC Scheu some 13 years ago. It was, and still is, an excellent cartridge in all respects. It is happy with any loading over 1 kOhms, and I even used it successfully into current-mode phonostages. It also went well with Rega, SME, and Technics arms.

BTW, it is not a Glider. When the MC Scheu was conceived it was more advanced than the contemporary Glider. The Glider has evolved since then, perhaps it is now closer to the Scheu?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/benz_mc_scheu.jpg

Thank you Werner for your answer. I always have thought the MC Scheu is something special. Do you also have the High Output version? You did write a review for TNT-Audio, didn't you?
What is a current-mode phonostage, is this something like the 47-labs 4712 Phonocube? The arms you used are they all 9"? Maybe a 12" arm is to heavy for the MC Scheu. Is your cantilever also so close to the apperture in the yoke (please see pictures above)?

Ronald.

snapper
15-12-2011, 13:47
Hi Werner

Before you go any further, could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, as you were asked to do in the registration email you received - ta!