PDA

View Full Version : speaker cable for QUAD 63?

da2222
13-12-2011, 10:33
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for appropriate speaker cable to use with electrostatics, in this case QUAD 63s?

Thanks in advance

Ali Tait
13-12-2011, 18:03
Statics seem to like low capacitance cables, so perhaps something like NVA cables would suit.

Barry
13-12-2011, 18:36
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for appropriate speaker cable to use with electrostatics, in this case QUAD 63s?

Thanks in advance

It might be amusing to quote Peter Walker's (designer of the 63s) thoughts on the matter. When asked what the requirements of a good speaker cable were, he is said to have replied:

" There are only two requirements a speaker cable should satisfy. The first is that it should be long enough to reach between amplifier and speaker. Then having done that, the only other requirement is, ideally, the colour of the insulation should match that of the surface on which it is lays."

When asked to list some of the best speaker cables, Peter Walker replied:

"The best kind are those that conduct electricity."

For what it's worth, in my opinion any decent cable ought to be sufficient. I use QED 79 strand cable (20A rated) with my Quad 57s. Quad when they demonstrated the 63s used 10A lawnmower cable (with the orange coloured outer insulation).

Mark Grant
13-12-2011, 18:46
For a starting point I would say a simple piece of 2.5mm Van Damme blue, very low cost for good quality copper.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_21&products_id=169

If long lengths than look for 4mm. (I dont have any 4mm in stock)

baron
13-12-2011, 20:06
I'm using Sterling Black Mamba speaker cable on the 63's and the 57's, they work for me.

DSJR
13-12-2011, 20:13
The Van Damme may be ignored by some snooty types, but it's a darned good cable and cheaper than QED original. A no-brainer imo.

If you MUST have a cable with some designer pedigree, then the new Talk Electronics cable at £4 per meter (which looks suspiciously like the old Cable Talk Theatre 2.1 I used to sell - Kevin configured/designed both I understand) should be considered too...

Barry
13-12-2011, 20:22
The Van Damme may be ignored by some snooty types, but it's a darned good cable and cheaper than QED original. A no-brainer imo.

If you MUST have a cable with some designer pedigree, then the new Talk Electronics cable at £4 per meter (which looks suspiciously like the old Cable Talk Theatre 2.1 I used to sell - Kevin configured/designed both I understand) should be considered too...

Van Damme make some excellent cable, both for low signal interconnects and for speakers.

Don't think they were around when I bought the QED 79; it was over 30 years ago!

Regards

da2222
13-12-2011, 20:58
Statics seem to like low capacitance cables, so perhaps something like NVA cables would suit.

I've heard about low capacitance cables with QUADS, which NVA ones in particular would you recommend?

da2222
13-12-2011, 20:59
Van Damme make some excellent cable, both for low signal interconnects and for speakers.

Don't think they were around when I bought the QED 79; it was over 30 years ago!

Regards

Thanks!
For 3m lengths would 4mm or 2.5mm be best?

Ali Tait
13-12-2011, 21:49
I've heard about low capacitance cables with QUADS, which NVA ones in particular would you recommend?

LS 3 or 5, depending on how much you want to spend.

Ali Tait
13-12-2011, 21:50
Or perhaps DNM cable. I found that very good, and it's not too pricey.

Barry
14-12-2011, 00:23
Thanks!
For 3m lengths would 4mm or 2.5mm be best?

In principle the larger the better, as this implies lower resistance, so 4mm.

The loop resistance of the speaker cables will appear in series with the output impedance of the amplifier. The impedance 'seen' by the speaker will thus be increased, so reducing the damping factor, or how well the amplifier absorbs the back emf of the speaker acting as a generator, rather than a motor. In other words, an amplifier/speaker cable combination with a low impedance stops the "tail wagging the dog".

This is important for most speakers using moving coil drivers, since with their relatively massive cones and hence inertia, they have a lot of generated back energy to absorb. Electrostatic speakers on the other hand have very low mass diaphragms (which is why they are noted for their good transient response and attack), so are happy with an amplifier/speaker cable combination with a higher impedance.

Given a 3m length of copper cable, the loop resistance will be as follows:

4.0 sq mm: 0.026 Ohm
2.5 sq mm: 0.042 Ohm

I would go for the 2.5 sq mm; it will be more than adequate.