PDA

View Full Version : Back in Black

enbee23
07-02-2008, 11:26
After a good few years with silver and "champagne" kit, I put this stuff together last summer. Haven't changed much apart from wires since which is maybe a good sign.

Top down:

Denon TU-1500RD
Freeview HD recorder - CA640p
Brinkmann Integrated
Merlin BAM - PSU for phono stage
Telly
Toshiba SD-9500e
Nakamichi CR-7
Electrocompaniet ECD-1

Speakers are Merlin VSM-MM perched on some granite
Headphones are Sennheiser HD-600s with Cardas wire

Wires are Virtual Dynamics, KAS Audio, Zanash, Cardas, Audience, Shunyata, PS Audio

The rack is an Ugli from IKEA and is as far as I'm going towards yer traditional angle-iron scaffolding :D

You may notice that I list a phono stage but no TT? Well, there is a freshly fettled LP12/LVII/103 (inherited, before all you gobshites start up with your noise :p) in the cupboard with a wall shelf but the only free wall near the kit isn't flat enough or strong enough to take it and this is a rented place... :mad: The 'dek does get wheeled out and plopped on a table for occasional use but the floor is bouncy and there are kids and a cat about.

Sounds ok on the whole, really need a bigger room.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/enbee23/Audio/squintycorner.jpg

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 11:30
Very nice Nick, and I like the pattern on your rug. Electrocompaniet do a great finish. ;)

Funny how fashion turns. Champagne is great but black is the new silver. :D Is your Naka deck still going strong?

Gromit
07-02-2008, 11:33
Looks very good Nick - quite a rig! :)

Highly droolworthy Nak too - I only had a DR1 which I still can't believe I gave to my dad a couple of years ago. :(

Edit: Just noticed your great avatar pic of old Gilles in the Ferrari. Awesome driver. :)

enbee23
07-02-2008, 11:36
Had to pay Electrocompaniet a fortune for that, custom finish dontcha know ;) Black does seem to have come back "in" which I quite like. The one thing I will say though is that it is an absolute bastard to photograph!

The Nak is working superbly thank you. Quite amazing the sound it can dredge off some of my crappy 20 year old tapes. I've still to be disappointed by it.

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 11:38
Had to pay Electrocompaniet a fortune for that, custom finish dontcha know ;)

Is it a chromium finish?

I know that it's tricky to photograph as I've had to do a few shoots like that, however there are a few wangles. :)

enbee23
07-02-2008, 11:46
Looks very good Nick - quite a rig! :)

Highly droolworthy Nak too - I only had a DR1 which I still can't believe I gave to my dad a couple of years ago. :(

Edit: Just noticed your great avatar pic of old Gilles in the Ferrari. Awesome driver. :)

I lived in Italy when I was a kid ('76-'83) and GV was genuinely revered and loved as a national hero. We in the UK have little idea of how deeply the Italians take their national sporting representatives to heart. Anyhow, he was my childhood favourite almost by default. As an adult, I found out more and rediscovered my own past in a way, I just love the way Gilles drove and what he stood for. There have been better drivers but none have been as genuinely and transparently committed to being the fastest. A real old fashioned romantic racing hero.

:o

enbee23
07-02-2008, 11:47
Is it a chromium finish?

I know that it's tricky to photograph as I've had to do a few shoots like that, however there are a few wangles. :)

Polished acrylic slab with a black backing. Reflections & fingerprints aplenty...

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 11:56
Polished acrylic slab with a black backing. Reflections & fingerprints aplenty...

Aye, owning several Apple bits and bobs I fully understand. :D

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 11:56
Looks great though! :)

Vinyl Grinder
07-02-2008, 14:21
Hi nik
Though this was gonna be an AC/DC topic for a mo..
Yeh nice those Electrcompaniet amps...

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 14:25
...Yeh nice those Electrcompaniet amps...

NO WAY! Something NEW that Andre likes?! :confused: :D

enbee23
07-02-2008, 14:45

It's a DAC :D

I had one of their power amps a couple of years ago, it was good too. Another amp worked better with my speakers at the time so it didn't stick around long.

Vinyl Grinder
07-02-2008, 18:16

:eek:Let me just put in the late '70's model...Wouldn't want anyone thinking i was trendy now:D