PDA

View Full Version : Wireless (WI-FI)

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 16:30
Ok this might sound dumb, but i can be sometimes, especially where pooters are concerned! As from now we've scrapped the desktop pooter for laptops but Wireless, the thing i'm concerned about is our connection safety, how do you know if someone else is'nt using your connection?

When i first connected wirelessly i had to put in a code to connect does this mean were safe?

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 16:56
You can change the code & it's probably a good idea to ;) You'll never be 100% safe Andr'e, there are a few programs out there deliberately designed to hack Wifi even if it's a coded connection.

All you have to do is break the code & you are in. I have a list of those programs somewhere, the only one that I can remember offhand is called "Airsnort" :scratch:

I'll never use Wifi, the first thing I did when I received this new BT homehub was disable the transmitter. Give me a wire every time, though I understand it's not always possible ;)

MartinT
11-12-2011, 17:03
Paranoids 'R Us!

Set your wi-fi for WPA2 (PSK) and give it a 13-character key that's not easily guessed. Use the same key in the clients. Frankly, you'll be so safe that any effort entailed in breaking it would only suggest that you have some serious secret worth obtaining!

Do it and wory about other more important things.

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 17:07
WPA2? :scratch: i just have a WPA Security connection no '2'!

On another note what the flaming hell is bluetooth connected?

MartinT
11-12-2011, 17:10
You set that up in the router, Andr'e. Access the router by its web address (typically something like 192.168.0.100 but you'll have to RTFM) and find the wi-fi encryption options. Choose WPA2 and give it the keyword you've chosen. Then just set up each client with the keyword, they should detect the encryption type automatically.

Welder
11-12-2011, 17:28
The simplest way to ensure valuable information doesn’t get stolen from your computer is not to leave it on there in the first place!

Put your all your passwords bar your master pass which you need to remember, in a file and put it on a USB flash drive along with banking info etc.

Use multiple email addresses, one for friends, one for those annoying sites where you may have to register for a single item of interest, one for your most visited sites etc.

Use a separate bank account for internet transactions and keep just enough money in it to cover purchases. It may not be convenient but it will curtail a bit of that impulse buying.

Wi Fi, sure, its easier to hack than wired but if no sensitive info is on your computer then you don’t need to worry.

The thing is, if you’ve bought something on the net the chances are some site or other has your card details on file; worry about that if anything :eek:

Tim
11-12-2011, 17:41
Spot on there Martin and John and I do all those things ..... I use a 23 character 135 bit strength password, similar to something like this %8K#&#K6BJdAU92upgxbeoW.

As well as using WPA2 as suggested, my wireless network SSID is non-broadcasting, that is you won't see what the name is when it's signal is picked up, so unless you correctly enter the name and password, you cannot access my Wi-Fi network.

All these options can normally be accessed through the router André.

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 17:41
No worries about delicate info on here, there aint any the issue im worried about is someone illegally downloading via my connection!

Whats the difference between WPA & WPA2, as i can see a virgin Media connection in range that's WPA2

Tim
11-12-2011, 17:44
No worries about delicate info on here, there aint any the issue im worried about is someone illegally downloading via my connection!
Me too, the last thing I want is the old bill knocking on my door due to some form of illegality occurring via my IP address. Trust me, it happens ;)

Tim
11-12-2011, 17:46
Whats the difference between WPA & WPA2, as i can see a virgin Media connection in range that's WPA2
Just two differing protocols, WPA2 is more recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 17:49
Yes, I agree entirely & like you I have nothing of value on the PC ;)

keiths
11-12-2011, 18:19
Most wi-fi routers also support MAC address filtering. This allows you to specify a list of MAC addresses (unique hardware identification numbers) of devices that are allowed to connect. Any device that isn't listed is denied access.

Also, change the administration password for your router from the default so if someone does get on they can't change the settings and lock you out of your own connection :eyebrows:

People looking for a free connection tend to go for the 'low hanging fruit' - completely unsecured connections or only lightly protected ones (eg. those still using WEP), so if you use WPA/WPA2-PSK, don't broadcast your SSID and use MAC filtering this will ensure that your connection is probably much better protected than your neighbours' - and that's the important thing.

MartinT
11-12-2011, 18:33
WPA2 is more secure. Use it if all your devices are compatible.

bogle111
11-12-2011, 21:55
Paranoids 'R Us!

Set your wi-fi for WPA2 (PSK) and give it a 13-character key that's not easily guessed. Use the same key in the clients. Frankly, you'll be so safe that any effort entailed in breaking it would only suggest that you have some serious secret worth obtaining!

Do it and wory about other more important things.

But Andre's got a mother-in-law.

That's it - your new code "Ilovemymotherinlaw" - no one will ever guess it. And should anything happen, you have an alibi.:eek:

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 22:00
:lolsign:

Alex_UK
11-12-2011, 22:11
I'd definitely turn off SSID Broadcast, and use a complex passcode - MAC address filtering is a good idea too, but a pain if you let friends access your network with their iphones etc. when they come to stay.

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 22:25
<snip> but a pain if you let friends access your network with their iphones etc. when they come to stay.

Didn't they come to see you or your wife? :scratch:

Why the hell are these people on the phone all the time? :eyebrows: Didn't they come to see you?

So what the hell are they doing on the phone :scratch:

Oh I guess I'm on another planet as well :D

Alex_UK
11-12-2011, 22:35
Good point Mark - from now on any visitors get frisked and if I find a mobile device on them I'll stamp on it! ;)

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 23:00
:D