PDA

View Full Version : FS: KAB modified SL-1210 Mk5SE + lots of extras

scoobs
26-11-2008, 16:33
I have the following analogue goodies for sale, due to purchase of a new turntable.

KAB modified SL1210 Mk5SE. (see below for details) £450 delivered to UK.
Zupreme 12g Alloy headshell, high grade OFC litz headshell leads. SME fitting, £35. SOLD
Glanz 9g alloy headshell. Rare, SME fitting, £15
Vintage Denon headshell, no headshell leads. SME fitting. £15
Audio Origami OFC/silver cocktail Tonearm cable with right angle Cardas din plug and modified gold RCA plugs, 60cm. £65
Audio Origami OFC/silver cocktail RCA-RCA interconnects. 40cm. £30

The 1210 has been much discussed on here and other fora, so I wont go into great detail, but it is a serious piece of kit that will embarass a whole lot of decks that cost considerably more, the arm re-wire and psu bringing considerable gains over the stock deck, I know this because I have a stock 1210 that was bought recently with a view to some developing some plinth mods, this plan is now shelved.

The 1210 was bought new and imported in January this year. The mods consist of:

External PSU
Cardas re-wired tonearm
Cardas 5 pin DIN socket this is technically and aesthetically preferable to the phono box option that is appended to the rear of the deck and does not require any soldering to remove/replace.
Tonearm fluid damper
Strobe light disabler

This deck requires a right angle DIN tonearm cable.
The deck comes with custom heavy brass counterweights made by Thrunobulax. These allow greater flexibility with cartridges, and increase the mass which is essential when using the heavy alloy headshells like the Zupreme & Sumiko etc.

The deck is for sale with the stock headshell, and counterweight and Technics 5mm audiophile turntable mat.

NOTE the RDC puck in the image is NOT included. The wooden plinth surround is available separately.

I have added a modification of my own by replacing the stock feet with threaded RDC 1 cones, although should you want the stock feet replaced, just say.

Both the deck and lid is in excellent condition and comes with original box.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/indypepa/hi-fi-again-005.jpg

Also for sale:

Solid Beech isolation base / plinth surround. As seen in picture. This box is my DIY effort at killing seismic vibrations and does the job admirably with silver sand and a 1” granite slab. I had the granite slab cut for this box and it fits snugly without contacting the sides. The box can be used with any type of isolation material you can think up, I have used pipe isolation foam cut in half, a bicycle inner tube and sand. I’m looking for £50 cash on collection is the only option with this, due to weight.

Thanks

Marco
27-11-2008, 12:00
Scoobs, best of luck with the sale, but why the drastic change? :confused:

What have you bought instead and why? :)

Marco.

anubisgrau
27-11-2008, 14:10
we can make a quiz:)

my guess is a big naughty denon

Filterlab
27-11-2008, 14:21
Please don't say you've bought an LP12!

John
27-11-2008, 15:30
Like everyone else interested in what you bought instead. Good luck with the sale

scoobs
27-11-2008, 17:31
Hey fellas :)
anubisgrau gets it in one. The big, fat directly driven flying saucer.

I've decided to blow my xmas bonus in advance on a mint (unused) Denon DP80. I've always admired the quirky looks of the big Denon's, and I'm becoming more and more enamoured with these over engineered / timber clad beasts.

The sheer rarity of this one (being new) was just too tempting, it comes with a brand new Denon plinth, and there could well be a rather nice tonearm to follow (along the lines of Marco's new Jelco). The Denon plinths are nice, but can be improved on, so this will give me a project to get my teeth into longer term. Once I've done this, I'll be looking at this tt as my last. :doh: (will someone please hold me to this)

I look forward to getting along to some fest's to compare the DP80 with an SP10. What little that has been written (in English) about them suggests that they are on a par with the Technics sp10 Mk2, but I understand that the sapphire bearing on the Denon is outstanding, and I intend to get the deck into the best plinth I can to extract the best from it.

Marco
27-11-2008, 17:59
Congrats, matey, that sounds like one seriously interesting project! :respect:

Thank f*ck it wasn't an LP12 :lol:

We want pictures! Best of luck with it and keep us posted. I've had a similar 'discovery' recently with the Jelco arm - good as the modded Techy arm is, and it is good, the Jelco (once fully run-in) takes the performance of the 1210 to another level.

I should get to write that piece on it tomorrow.

Marco.

Mike
27-11-2008, 18:02
Does it look like this? :)

http://www.thevintageknob.org/DENON/DP80/DP80.html

or this: http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/5802/7656748309102763205.html <gulp>

scoobs
27-11-2008, 18:14
Cheers Marco
LP12...hell no! I'm done with suspended / belt drive for good.

Mike, yes exactly like that one. That is the DK300 plinth, which is what I will have. Not decided on the arm yet, but it will be an s-shape (I love s-shaped arms). How are you getting on with your Denon by the way?

Mike
27-11-2008, 18:21
How are you getting on with your Denon by the way?

I'm considering 'showing it the door' TBH! :scratch:

Although, to be fair, I should try it in a different plinth first. And maybe with a different tonearm.

Marco
27-11-2008, 18:45
Nice one, Scoobs. Just be careful though - can you get those Denon motor units serviced in the event of failure? Are parts still available? Can you test it before you buy it? I'd hate you to sell your 1210 and end up with a pup...

It's for all of the above reasons that I never went down the SP10 route. That's the beauty of the 1210, apart from it sounding amazing when fully modified, it's current and serviceable.

As for arms, I would recommend you go for the Jelco SA-750D. Apart from the Ortofon, Ikeda and Audio Technica arms, which aren't worth the money IMO, I can't think of any other good quality new S-shaped arms on the market, and you certainly don't want to buy old second-hand tonearms unless you're thinking along the lines of an SME 3012, if it'll fit on your plinth. You're talking just shy of £600 (with the cables and mounting plate) for a Jelco - it's beautifully engineered to jewel-like precision, looks sexy as a very sexy thing, and above all, sounds *amazing*. It's just so effortless and 'unflustered' compared to the modded Techy arm.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy the journey!

Marco.

Sid and Coke
30-11-2008, 11:30
Hey Scoobs, wrong side of christmas for me I'm afraid, love the look of your deck ( i'm part way there myself) but would need to ditch mine first.

Mind you i think 'er indoors reckons I've bought myself enough new toys for one year ! ( vrooomm, vroooomm.....)

good luck with the sale...

scoobs
30-11-2008, 11:43
Thanks Tim. Yes it's the worst time of year to sell, although Marco hasn't done too bad. If I can hold out till the new year without selling I will. What timber did you decide on in the end?

Marco
01-12-2008, 10:02
Yep, I've done well and I’m very grateful to those who’ve bought the stuff I was selling. A little tip, although it doesn't always work, is to ask people for "reasonable offers" rather than print fixed prices, even with an "o.n.o" attached.

Nine times out of ten people will respect that approach and not insult you by offering a ridiculously low amount - but, crucially, it gets dialogue going and people who perhaps thought they couldn't afford the asking price end up enquiring and more often than not buying because they are drawn in by the bartering process and the fact they feel more in control of the outcome. Similarly, the seller may be tempted to sell for a lower price than initially stated simply because there's a tangible offer on the table. It's a win-win situation as both parties usually feel that they've ended up with a good deal, and that's the key with sales.

Just a little thought for you - it's all psychological. I'm not a successful businessman for nothing, you know, haha ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
01-12-2008, 10:43
£30? ;)

That's the 1 out of 10 sorted for you. :)

Marco
01-12-2008, 10:53
Hehe, but you're just a tease :eyebrows:

Marco.

John
01-12-2008, 16:02
Hey fellas :)
anubisgrau gets it in one. The big, fat directly driven flying saucer.

I look forward to getting along to some fest's to compare the DP80 with an SP10. What little that has been written (in English) about them suggests that they are on a par with the Technics sp10 Mk2, but I understand that the sapphire bearing on the Denon is outstanding, and I intend to get the deck into the best plinth I can to extract the best from it.

As everyone points out slate is probarly the best way to go with this

scoobs
01-12-2008, 17:08
Yes I will definately look into a slatedeck plinth, beauty and brutality at the same time. I'm not sure if they have a template for a Denon DP80 though and I'm going to be using a 10" arm, so lots of queries to follow up. I do like my wood plinths though, and will also look into replicating this heavyweight beast.
http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~junk-ima/kyabi1.jpg

John
01-12-2008, 18:24
One of my friends made a template for his Orbe and then had a slate designed to work with it; he uses the Verus drive to good effect. So perhaps you could either speak to slatedeck around this or your friendly stone masons
That plinth is one heavy weight unit
The plinth could be used as a template