PDA

View Full Version : Leona Lewis performing Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' - why?

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 21:42
Just seen Leona Lewis version of Hurt....on the X Factor. I ask the question Why?

as the judges might say.....Wrong song choice, poor performance, awful diction, she murdered it totally...in my opinion.

Go watch Johnny Cash's version to see how wonderfully emotional this song is. If you can make it to the end of his version + accompanying video with out being choked up then you are as hard as nails.....Nine Inch ones...

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 21:48
Neil, as I'm sure you can appreciate it's best not to watch the TV nowadays ;)

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 21:51
Neil, as I'm sure you can appreciate it's best not to watch the TV nowadays ;)

Lol, a few of us do still watch it from time to time. Agreed though it is becoming poorer and poorer. I watch much less than I used to.

Its really a question of artistic merit re her version of the song and the performance. I am curious if anyone thought it was any good.

Regards D S D L

Marco
10-12-2011, 21:57
When I read the title of this thread, I thought Leona Lewis had been injured!!

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 21:59
When I read the title of this thread, I thought Leona Lewis had been injured!!

Marco.

Hi Marco

Perhaps it is a bit vague.....:doh:

No, but the song Hurt was murdered totally in my opinion

Regards D S D L

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 22:01
as the judges might say.....Wrong song choice, poor performance, awful diction, she murdered it totally.

Regards D S D L

pretty darn accurate me thinks as well

brian2957
10-12-2011, 22:04
Aye , better staying away from TV . I tend to watch Blu Ray these days

and most of these are nature programs or music discs . When I'm not

listening to music on the excellent system I've built on the advice of

the guys on this forum .

Roy S
10-12-2011, 22:25
Apparently she's been shot

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 22:27

I heard there is a queue for the pleasure

Alex_UK
10-12-2011, 22:28
Interesting - I watched it on TV, and tend to agree but I bet it will sound fab as a recording played through a proper system -TV just can't deal with the subtlety and big dynamic range of her performance I think...

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 22:34

Nope just Marco playing about with the admin panel and changing the title of the thread.

The actual title was Leona Lewis - Hurt - Why?

Marco :doh:

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 22:34
Interesting - I watched it on TV, and tend to agree but I bet it will sound fab as a recording played through a proper system -TV just can't deal with the subtlety and big dynamic range of her performance I think...
Even though I don't, I'd never listen to TV programs through the TV speakers ;)

Take it like a man Alex :eyebrows:

:spank:

:lolsign:

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 22:36

Maybe Alex, maybe but her diction was non existent at the start, it was impossible to make out a single word and she was not singing. The rest of it was not much better in my opinion.

My issue is what on earth possessed her to perform this song in the way she did. I would go so far as to say why do it at all. JC's version is for sheer emotion, depth and meaning unbeatable in my opinion. The X Factor judges would have crucified her for it if she had been a contestant still.

Regards D S D L

Tim
10-12-2011, 22:39
What's the X Factor and who is Leona Lewis? :ner:

Spectral Morn
10-12-2011, 22:40

:lolsign:

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 22:41
:youtheman: :youtheman:

Sums it up nicely :eyebrows:

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 22:54

oh how i wish i could say that in all honesty, it ain't going to happen in our house with 4 kids and a wife who's number 5

Tim
10-12-2011, 23:02
a wife who's number 5
You have had 5 wives? :eek:

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 23:09
You have had 5 wives? :eek:

i wish, what i meant was she's the biggest kid of all at times bless her

sq225917
10-12-2011, 23:21
I think but I can't be sure that it Might be Simon Cowell trying to be funny. Last year Joe McEldery was kept from the top spot by an anti X-factor campaign promoting Rage Against The Machine, well this year he's fired back with Leona Lewis singing a Nine Inch Nails song.

The funny thing last year of course was that Cowell won anyway because the rights to most of the RATM back catalogue are owned by the record label that Cowell is a major shareholder in anyway.

Welder
10-12-2011, 23:31
Should have been watching Strictly Come Dancing instead which this season has been fantastic; no Simon Cow, no "you're gonna be a star", much friendlier, and some gorgeous looking women. :stalks:

Marco
11-12-2011, 05:47
Gorgeous looking women aside, that shit does nothing for me whatsoever. To me, SCD is distinctly hackneyed and old-fashioned. Good luck, though, John if you enjoy it :)

Marco.

freefallrob
11-12-2011, 09:53
I thought it was great, you could sense the 'what the ****' in Wembley, even through the medium of telly.

Marvellous!

:lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
11-12-2011, 10:57
The irony is she has actually created an empire of dirt just by singing it ...
Well a thread at least ... But I bet this thread isn't the only forum thread questioning the song choice ...
But then I suppose at least it will bring a bit more attention to the better versions of te song ... Was it last year that Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley made it into the high numbers in the charts after someone off xfactor sang 'hallelujah'? ... Even a few of my non muso mates know who Jeff Buckley is now, and before then they wouldn't have had the first idea ... Despite me playing Grace pretty much on loop for about 4 years of my life...

I'm young enough to have found my way to the red hot chilli peppers through the all saints ...
I even remember the convo ... "that new all saints track has a really good bit of guitar in it" "yea, that's because it's red hot chilli peppers cover" ... I was sat in my mates living room at the time ... He played me BSSM and I was hooked!
Just in time really, a year later they brought out that californication dross and went right down hill, I'd probably never have been interested in looking back at thier earlier stuff if I'd heard that first!

There is always a silver lining, and if in this case it is that more people get to witness that Johnny cash version music video then that can't be a bad thing ...

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 11:16
Should have been watching Strictly Come Dancing instead which this season has been fantastic; no Simon Cow, no "you're gonna be a star", much friendlier, and some gorgeous looking women. :stalks:

I am really letting the cat out of the bag now, but I watch that too. Hot women, hot dances and the Tango :eyebrows:;):) I can't dance for toffee but the Tango if I could, would be my kind of dance.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 11:19
The irony is she has actually created an empire of dirt just by singing it ...
Well a thread at least ... But I bet this thread isn't the only forum thread questioning the song choice ...
But then I suppose at least it will bring a bit more attention to the better versions of te song ... Was it last year that Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley made it into the high numbers in the charts after someone off xfactor sang 'hallelujah'? ... Even a few of my non muso mates know who Jeff Buckley is now, and before then they wouldn't have had the first idea ... Despite me playing Grace pretty much on loop for about 4 years of my life...

I'm young enough to have found my way to the red hot chilli peppers through the all saints ...
I even remember the convo ... "that new all saints track has a really good bit of guitar in it" "yea, that's because it's red hot chilli peppers cover" ... I was sat in my mates living room at the time ... He played me BSSM and I was hooked!
Just in time really, a year later they brought out that californication dross and went right down hill, I'd probably never have been interested in looking back at thier earlier stuff if I'd heard that first!

There is always a silver lining, and if in this case it is that more people get to witness that Johnny cash version music video then that can't be a bad thing ...

Hi Hamish

You have some good points there Hamish but that presupposes that folks know it is a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song, that Mr Cash then covered. I suppose a google search might bring it up; I hope so.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
11-12-2011, 11:54
Well, it was Tomita that introduced me to Debussy :)

sq225917
11-12-2011, 14:04

and the price of American iv on vinyl will rocket.

Welder
11-12-2011, 14:06
Gorgeous looking women aside, that shit does nothing for me whatsoever. To me, SCD is distinctly hackneyed and old-fashioned. Good luck, though, John if you enjoy it :)

Marco.

Old fashioned hackneyed shit eh!
I thought you liked all that retro stuff Marco, you know, fine food, a decent wine, old buildings with character; in fact, 1950’s would seem to suit you down to the ground ;)
I’m convinced there’s a closet ballroom dancer in you somewhere mate. Most women love a man that can dance.:)

Apart from the fact that I love dance, from ballet to modern, and that I’ll pay good money to go and watch (pay good money to go and do it in fact) Strictly Come Dancing has aspects that I find quite amazing.

I’m constantly impressed by how hard these people work. The professional dancers leave me in awe tbh. It’s not just that their dancing is gobsmackingly good; its how they manage to coax the best out of what must be a very wide range of temperaments, personalities and abilities week after week.

Perform some of these dances can be more physically demanding than a three min amateur lightweight boxing bout.
Anyway, I could watch something like this all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=874ZvIQMxmQ

Oh yeah, I rather like Sir Bruce as well. I know he’s corny but as show hosts go he’s way better than the vast majority of the modern tossers like “rant and feck”

I’m looking forward to watching Aliona and Harry on iplayer at the finals….I hope.:clap::respect:

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 18:47
Hi John

Yes beautiful sensual, sexy and passionate dance there.

I thought this was incredible....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxokZ9oUT0

as did the judges.

Regards D S D L

John
11-12-2011, 19:18
When i read threads like this it makes me realize i live in a slightly different reality to most people;)

Tim
11-12-2011, 19:22
When i read threads like this it makes me realize i live in a slightly different reality to most people
Me too :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 19:23
When i read threads like this it makes me realize i live in a slightly different reality to most people;)
I hope not :D You live in the very same reality, it's just that you do different things than other people while you are here ;)

Just like me :eyebrows:

Tim
11-12-2011, 19:28
About 40 or so years ago, I went round to some very close friends of my Mum & Dad's who I had known most of my life. They were extremely well off, drove a beautiful Mercedes and lived in a gorgeous house. I was in their living room doing as expected 'little boys should be seen and not heard', when I realised they didn't have a TV - I thought they were mad, all that money and no TV :scratch: ...... now I know different ;)

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2011, 19:32
Yep, plenty of TVs here but none are used to watch what is broadcast over the airwaves :eyebrows: I think I gave a mate a Hitachi 28" widescreen CRT just to get the damn thing out of the way :D

Spectral Morn
11-12-2011, 19:43

If we were all the same John it would make for a very boring world.

Regards D S D L

Tim
11-12-2011, 19:48
If we were all the same John it would make for a very boring world.
+1

John
11-12-2011, 19:56
The trouble with a utopian society woulf be the sheer boredom

Roy S
11-12-2011, 19:59
+1

If the world was full of mes nothing would ever get done

Welder
11-12-2011, 20:16
Hi Neil.

I’m glad I’m not completely alone in finding SCD entertaining. :)

Yep, Jason pulled a blinder. What a wonderfully curvy women Kristina is :stalks:
This series has some excellent “celebrity” dancers and its great to see some men getting right into it. Harry Judd is wasted in McFly. :doh:

Holly Valance is a gorgeous looking women and I find it strange that despite acting and modeling she comes across as a bit shy and restrained.
This is one of my favorite dances albeit a bit sloppy in places. They obviously had a great deal of fun with it and put a whole new twist on the Charleston.
If they had got the timing spot on this had to be worth tens just for Artem’s choreography.:clap::clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEn_koM3agk&feature=related

I rather look forward to watching SCD on iplayer, but even this wouldn’t make me get a TV. Thank Christ for the UTube………………………now who sang that song? :scratch:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-12-2011, 09:33
SCD is ace

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00612/SNN11BB01A-280_612463j.jpg

they do dancing do they ... i hadnt really noticed ... ;)

MartinT
12-12-2011, 09:44
Didn't Leona Lewis murder Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah! too? I remember a friend bringing it over to listen to on my system and I pulled a face at the end. I then played him the proper version by Cohen. No contest.

StanleyB
12-12-2011, 10:08
In defence of Leona, she tries to come up with a different rendition based on the original words. She makes little or no attempt to try to copy the style, beats, or notes. So if you are looking for a rendition that is same or close to the original artist cover version, then Ami would be a better choice.

Spectral Morn
12-12-2011, 13:26
Hi Neil.

I’m glad I’m not completely alone in finding SCD entertaining. :)

Yep, Jason pulled a blinder. What a wonderfully curvy women Kristina is :stalks:
This series has some excellent “celebrity” dancers and its great to see some men getting right into it. Harry Judd is wasted in McFly. :doh:

Holly Valance is a gorgeous looking women and I find it strange that despite acting and modeling she comes across as a bit shy and restrained.
This is one of my favorite dances albeit a bit sloppy in places. They obviously had a great deal of fun with it and put a whole new twist on the Charleston.
If they had got the timing spot on this had to be worth tens just for Artem’s choreography.:clap::clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEn_koM3agk&feature=related

I rather look forward to watching SCD on iplayer, but even this wouldn’t make me get a TV. Thank Christ for the UTube………………………now who sang that song? :scratch:

Hi John

I suspect there are others too but they don't want to fess up to it ;)

I didn't watch it in the old days but I have kept my eye on it the last few years and I enjoy watching folks being stretched into doing things (dancing) that they would not have entertained doing before being on the show. The way talent and ability grow from awkward beginnings is also very interesting as well.

Its a fun show and I have no problem saying I enjoy it and would love to have a go at things like the Tango but I know full well it would be a....."disasterrrrr..." :lolsign:

Here's a thought hows about a 'Strictly Come Dancing AOS', now that could be a lot of fun and a good laugh.

Regards D S D L

Canetoad
12-12-2011, 15:14
I stopped watching X Factor when I realised it had gone from a talent show to a reality TV show full of ponces and w@nkers! Seems to be more about the judges and talentless contestants. All designed to polarlize the viewing public. I'd rather slam my knob in a car door than watch it! :mental:

SCD - Sorry, I'm afraid to watch that! My head might explode or I might turn into my grandparents! :ner:

Alex_UK
12-12-2011, 15:42
Big Strictly fans in this house - Brucie is a legend. And yes Haqmish, Ola does dance sometimes. :)

Spectral Morn
12-12-2011, 15:52
Big Strictly fans in this house - Brucie is a legend. And yes Hamish, Ola does dance sometimes. :)

Well that's you Alex, Me and John who watch it; anyone else want to fess up to watching beautiful women in sensual clothing, dancing in an interesting ;) manner......

I know what bernie means though I used to think it was old folks too, but in reality its for everyone of all ages and if you think that then those 'old folks' are up to some pretty racy stuff...... Lets be honest here many of those dances, particularly the Tango come pretty close to a sexual act.

Regards D S D L

Marco
12-12-2011, 16:16
Well that's you Alex, Me and John who watch it; anyone else want to fess up to watching beautiful women in sensual clothing, dancing in an interesting ;) manner......

Well, there's bugger all wrong with that! However, it's just the type of dancing which doesn't appeal to me, and sexy or not, it's rather old-fashioned. I mean, how many people do you see doing the Tango, Waltz or Foxtrot in a nightclub? :eyebrows:

Personally, I much prefer what could loosly be described as 'disco dancing'. Watch John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever (he was as cool as fuck in those days), or Michael Jackson at his best (Janet Jackson, in her heyday, was also a superb dancer), and they epitomise the style of dancing I like to watch. And when it comes to females dancing sexily, then the dancers doing some of the routines, accompanying the acts in X-Factor, are much more my cup of tea....

Also, and I've said it before, for sheer dancing skill, in a modern style that appeals to me much more than the old-fashioned stuff on SCD, I'd rather watch Diversity, any day of the week:

PtwVfJqBfms

Now *that*, for me, is what you call dancing!

I know what bernie means though I used to think it was old folks too, but in reality its for everyone of all ages...

I think that's absolutely true, but I'm afraid that it just ain't my scene. It doesn't look cool. Good job we're all different, eh! :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
12-12-2011, 16:19
Well, there's bugger all wrong with that! However, it's just the type of dancing which doesn't appeal to me, and sexy or not, it's rather old-fashioned. I mean, how many people do you see doing the Tango, Waltz or Foxtrot in a nightclub? :eyebrows:

Personally, I much prefer what could loosly be described as 'disco dancing'. Watch John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, or Michael Jackson at his best (Janet Jackson, in her heyday was also superb!), and they epitomise the style of dancing I like to watch. And when it comes to females dancing sexily, then the dancers doing some of the routines, accompanying the acts in X-Factor, are much more my cup of tea....

A good example would be the 'Air hostessses' dancing with Marcus on his first song last night! :eek:

Also, and I've said it before, for sheer dancing skill, in a modern style that appeals to me much more than the old-fashioned stuff on SCD, I'd rather watch Diversity, and day of the week:

PtwVfJqBfms

Now *that*, for me, is what you call dancing!

I think that's absolutely true, but I'm afraid that it just ain't my scene. Good job we're all different, eh! :)

Marco.

Indeed...

Regards D S D L

Tim
12-12-2011, 17:05
Well that's you Alex, Me and John who watch it; anyone else want to fess up to watching beautiful women in sensual clothing ......
Nope, not me.... I consider Saturday night to be the absolute dregs of British Television (personal opinion and I know the majority will disagree) and have done for probably around 30 years.

I actually don't watch any live TV, apart from sports. I do get the Radio Times which I peruse and set my recorder for the programmes I really want to watch. When I feel like watching some TV I have a selection available, but the TV never rules my evenings and it never just gets switched on as a matter of course - my Hi-Fi is the only thing that goes on as a matter of course, together with my 'puter' to see what's happening in the world of AoS, which is far more entertaining ;)

Marco
12-12-2011, 17:21
Nope, not me.... I consider Saturday night to be the absolute dregs of British Television (personal opinion and I know the majority will disagree)

+1 (with knobs on)!

Most of it is dire brain dead bullshite... However, singing competitions are one of my guilty pleasures ;)

Returning to the subject of dancing, perhaps rather strangely (given my visual entertainment proclivities) I love the ballet, and often take Del there, and also out for dinner, when it's her birthday or our wedding anniversary, and we love watching all the dancers and listening to the superb classical music. So yes, I love watching ballet dancing, but hate the crap that they prance around doing (although undeniably skilful and sometimes sexy) on SCD... :eyebrows:

I think a lot of it, you know, is to do with the cheesy music that they dance to. I only tend to like dancing which accompanies music that I might actually buy and/or like listening to. You'd need to be about 70 (and have extremely bad taste) to like the MUSIC that they play on SCD!

What makes Strictly even more dire for me is the clown 'celebrities' who, erm, 'perform', and that can't dance for toffee - all in the name of so-called 'entertainment'... I mean what was that Russell Grant thing all about? A wee fat guy, in a red helmet, being pulled through the air in a, what was it? :mental: Only the (seemingly easily satisfied) British could classify such mindless banality as 'entertainment'!

Maybe if the programme featured talented amateurs, competing against each other for an enviable prize, it might be vaguely tolerable. Sadly, though, it's mostly populated by has-beens seeking to revive their failing and/or failed careers.

For me, it's reality TV at its worst. But then some may say exactly the same about the X-Factor, and they'd have a valid point!

Marco.

MartinT
12-12-2011, 18:24
I actually don't watch any live TV

Me too. I'm very selective and only ever watch recordings at times that suit me. For that, and the picture quality, my Sky HD box is perfect.

Canetoad
12-12-2011, 19:33
I never watch anything live. I can't stand the ads! Ahhhh. the fast forward button! A life saver! :)

Alex_UK
12-12-2011, 19:53
I never watch anything live. I can't stand the ads! Ahhhh. the fast forward button! A life saver! :)

+1. :)

Welder
12-12-2011, 22:17
Yeah! £13 richer thanks to Harry Judd and Aliona Vilani making the final. :)

Double money if they win. :)

DSJR
13-12-2011, 09:50
I watched and heard the offending track last night. That was truly awful, Moana yodelling and annihilating that track. She even got a standing ovation from the judges too.

A couple of days ago, Mick Hucknell was singing his new Christmas single? live. Didn't much like the track, but he sang properly, with mic well away from his mouth and with him singing OVER, rather than INTO it, just like the singers used to do in the 60's. I'm sure this means he can sing the quieter bits a bit harder and with better pitch, the mic distance dictating the "volume" of his singing. Why do modern "singers" have to have the mics practically in their mouths?

prestonchipfryer
13-12-2011, 10:18

Yeah, don't those ads get on your nerves. :steam: Five minutes of programme then five minutes of b***dy ads.

SCIDB
14-12-2011, 22:28
Didn't Leona Lewis murder Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah! too? I remember a friend bringing it over to listen to on my system and I pulled a face at the end. I then played him the proper version by Cohen. No contest.

Hi,

That was Alexandra Burke.

Not a big fan of either version.

Alex_UK
14-12-2011, 22:37
Jeff Buckley's version is by far the best - IMHO.

keiths
15-12-2011, 01:33
Barmaid in my local pub (24 year old) was raving about "the new song Leona sung" on Saturday. I played her the Johnny Cash "Hurt" tonight - she said it was "the shitest thing" she'd ever heard :doh:

Spectral Morn
17-12-2011, 21:14
Barmaid in my local pub (24 year old) was raving about "the new song Leona sung" on Saturday. I played her the Johnny Cash "Hurt" tonight - she said it was "the shitest thing" she'd ever heard :doh:

Did the same myself with the teenager who helps us out in the bookshop, she said the same thing.

Anyway back SCD so the great British public get it wrong again. The best couple in my humble opinion are out :(

Oh well such is reality TV show competitions.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
17-12-2011, 21:16
Harry to win now, then - I'd have liked Jason to have done it for the "old codgers" :lol:

Alex_UK
17-12-2011, 21:25
Although that rumba was fab from Chelsee... oh, I don't know!

Spectral Morn
17-12-2011, 21:27
Although that rumba was fab from Chelsee... oh, I don't know!

It was intense, wee bits of Tango attitude in that one......but the American smooth was .............................very smooth ;)

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
17-12-2011, 21:38
Excellent Tango................there wow :)

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
17-12-2011, 21:42
Knockout blow with the Argentine Tango I reckon... but I'm usually wrong!

Spectral Morn
17-12-2011, 21:59
Knockout blow with the Argentine Tango I reckon... but I'm usually wrong!

Great British public voting again.....:doh: we shall see but that Tango was awesome.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
17-12-2011, 22:01
Yes! :)

Spectral Morn
17-12-2011, 22:09
Yes! :)

Having watched a wee bit more closely I think she was a tad better than Jason and thus a worthy winner.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
17-12-2011, 22:16
Loved Brucie getting "eggie" with the rest of McFly for their "stage invasion" - classic! :lol: Great entertainment. :)

Welder
17-12-2011, 23:44
Not that I’m obsessed with SCD or anything, but what about that show dance in the results last week :stalks:

I’ve also been watching It Takes Two on iplayer, Aliona Vilani, she’s absolutely gorgeous. :)

Ahem……waiting for iplayer to support this weeks final :eyebrows:

The Black Adder
23-12-2011, 10:03
Not that I’m obsessed with SCD or anything, but what about that show dance in the results last week :stalks:

I’ve also been watching It Takes Two on iplayer, Aliona Vilani, she’s absolutely gorgeous. :)

Ahem……waiting for iplayer to support this weeks final :eyebrows:

With the rise of SCD, stay safe this Christmas and use a condom.

Canetoad
23-12-2011, 11:11
You're assuming there'll be some on offer... :(