PDA

View Full Version : Which Tannoy's??

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2011, 21:13
Guys,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Tannoy's for some time now. I'd just like to ask for a few opinions as to which i should consider. They will be going with my Radford pre and power amp, Garrard 301 set up. Any recommendations would be greatly welcomed.

Andy

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 21:14
Dc's of course:doh:

How deep is your pocket?

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2011, 21:16
How deep is your pocket?

Pretty deep!

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2011, 21:17
Sorry should have pointed out that I'm after an old pair of Tannoys and not some of the newer offerings.

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 21:32
Sorry should have pointed out that I'm after an old pair of Tannoys and not some of the newer offerings.

I'm still in love with Marco's Lockwoods, i think they are a good mix of just enough cabinet size and a driver that really sings, these to my ears sound better than the Westminsters i've heard as i'm yet to hear a pair of Westies in a big enough room to get the full benifit of that cabinet size, i still hoping for that day, 12 inch Lancasters sound very nice too, don't dismiss the Prestige range though until you've heard a pair, my Sterlings are very room friendly

DSJR
10-12-2011, 22:23
Old DC's are silly money I feel and need work on the crossovers, drivers or both. Newer large-cone DC's may be harder to get in the UK, but should offer superior performance out-of-the-box, as the crossovers were re-worked/re-designed....

Has anyone tried the 12" or 15" DMT models?

Reid Malenfant
10-12-2011, 22:30
Has anyone tried the 12" or 15" DMT models?
The drivers used in those have a low Qts, thus they'll only have a decent response to about 40Hz in the case of the 15" unit.

They could go deeper with a shelved response but the enclosures would be huge :eek: As it is though they are sensitive as all hell. If i remember right the 15" is good for 98Db/1W/1M :)

That's one hell of a lot of sound with not many Watts :cool:

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 23:10
Tannoy 'Dorset' or 'Mayfair'

:sofa:

spendorman
10-12-2011, 23:12
Recently got some HPD 315's, loving them. Mine had the surrounds replaced. Of course they work beautifully with my Radford STA25 III.

I have added some extra damping material inside the cabinets. This has firmed up the bass and reduced the midrange colouration.

Marco
11-12-2011, 07:35
Old DC's are silly money I feel and need work on the crossovers, drivers or both.

It depends what you mean by "silly money"...

Considering that my Lockwoods (with 15" MGs) cost £3500, and I spent another £1000 on new crossovers, using the best modern components, internal speaker wire and quality binding posts, and so for £4.5k I now own a pair of speakers that, sonically, can compete with speakers I've heard at £30k, then I'd call that a bloody bargain!

"Silly money", for me, is speakers that cost £30k, and that don't sound as good as 40-year old ones at a fraction of that price!! ;)

Marco.

DSJR
11-12-2011, 10:39
At least old Tannoy drivers can be rebuilt to better than new? Same can't be said for many other once great speakers, sadly...

spendorman
11-12-2011, 10:51
At least old Tannoy drivers can be rebuilt to better than new? Same can't be said for many other once great speakers, sadly...

Agreed, my recently acquired (quite reasonably) HPD 315's already had new surrounds fitted, but I could detect some distortion in the treble region on one unit.

It was a simple matter to remove the tweeter diaphragm, check it (was perfect), refit and centre the voice coil and secure it with the four screws.

Result was perfect.

The Black Adder
14-12-2011, 17:53
If your going for some Lancasters, Andrew then get 12" drivers as 15" in Lancs are too big for the cabinets and stifle the sound.

My 12" MG in Lancasters sound superb and I'm well happy with them. New crossovers yes.. an absolute must. I've got newly built crossovers in them already but I'm getting some upgraded ones made pretty soon.

Oh and get them off the floor too and on to some open stands, a huge improvement. I had some Something Solid XF stands made and they are superb. They look like they were made for them too.

Tannoys on the Raddy will be bliss mate. Really though, there really is nothing out there (without you spending a fortune or lopping off a limb) that will come close to the quality of the sound of the MG's. The sound is so well focused and bang in front of you with no smear.

Hope that helps matey.

Wakefield Turntables
14-12-2011, 19:53
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I must admit the Tannoys at the moment are a flight of fancy as I have umpteen mods to do to the 1210 and I have a garrard 301 to completely rebuild from scratch! I think its just a matter of getting a pair cheap enough now :eek: Thans as always, Andy.

spendorman
14-12-2011, 20:11
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I must admit the Tannoys at the moment are a flight of fancy as I have umpteen mods to do to the 1210 and I have a garrard 301 to completely rebuild from scratch! I think its just a matter of getting a pair cheap enough now :eek: Thans as always, Andy.

If cost is a major consideration, HPD's are a bargain. Mine are the early type with the Alnico style magnets and chassis much like the Golds.

I have owned Silvers and Golds, and I'm not really missing them, apart from their much increased monetary value.

The HPDs work very nicely with my Radford STA25 III

Wakefield Turntables
14-12-2011, 20:34
Cheers mate. Any Tannoy's I buy will be probably well into next year but i'm getting my research done now!