PDA

View Full Version : Prog Rock Desert Island Picks

jazzpiano
10-12-2011, 06:52
I've noticed that many of your more intelligent audiophiles are into prog rock. I get all warm & fuzzy with nostalgia when I hear KC or VDG. Had a good friend growing up who was really into this stuff and it really takes me back to good times. Early hi-fi and prog rock go together in my mind. So, I'm wondering what records (or cds) AOS's prog rock connoisseurs would take with them to a desert island? Personally, I'm partial to a 'spacier', more relaxed/atmospheric style of prog rock, but not sure which bands specialize in this?

Best,
Barry :wheniwasaboy:

Tim
10-12-2011, 08:52
Blimey, that's a hard one Barry - I'll give it some thought and will be interested to see what the other 'proggers' on the forum pick too?

intelligent audiophiles :)

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 09:50
Spacier !

The Grand Wazoo
10-12-2011, 09:57
Spacier?

..........Andre want to take 5 copies of Stacia to his island!!

http://www.starfarer.net/gallerya/italia_stacia72.jpg http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/StaciaStrobo_11t.JPG http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/HawkStaA_07At.JPG http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/HawkStaA_24At.jpg http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/StaciaCol_04At.JPG

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 10:13
Yes please :eyebrows:

If it's spacier Rock your after Barry you want stuff like early Mythos self titled album & Dreamlab

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2011, 17:20
ANY Dream Theater or Marillion (my guilty pleasures!)

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 17:54
:lolsign:

Roy S
10-12-2011, 22:01
Hmmmm, spacier, Steve Hillage, Gong, Ramases...

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 23:16
yeh i suppose Gong 'You' has a spacey feel

Roy S
10-12-2011, 23:20
I was thinking of 'pot head pixies'

Rare Bird
10-12-2011, 23:23
Gong trilogy:
Flying Teapot, Angels Egg & You..The Hillage 'Fish Rising' is a good one.Good choice Roy

Roy S
10-12-2011, 23:26
and how about some Hergest Ridge for good measure

YNWaN
10-12-2011, 23:30
You is one of the php albums - I've got those three that Andre mentions - I've got some other Hillage. Gong and Daevid Allen (the Divided Alien) too - found I had two Here & Now albums last week too :).

jazzpiano
11-12-2011, 00:26
OK, I'll play, but not just fixate on the 'spacey' word (Ken Nordine just popped into my head if you are familiar with him) - I'm wondering about records by groups like Caravan, Can, Gentle Giant, Eloy, PFM, Matching Mole - bands I'm not that familiar with. Do they belong on the list? I'm familiar with Yes (had an early Yes/Relayer boner for a long time), King Crimson - normally don't like anthologies but enjoyed "The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson", as well as "Starless...", others, Tangerine Dream, VDG - "H to He Who am the Only One"., ...

~Barry

Roy S
11-12-2011, 00:55
Ot-WjnvLIp0

Wolfie
11-12-2011, 01:01
I'm quite enjoying listening to Electric Orange who, whilst not being prog as such, do have a sort of Hawkwind/Can thing going on, and may still be of interest:-

dXBNbYN4De4

Mick

John
11-12-2011, 05:40
A strictly personal desert Island list
agitation free River of return
Grobschnitt Solar Music
More modern Opeth Damnation
Lots of Dream Theater and POS
Riverside Out of Myself
Zero Hour The Towers of Avarice (this is extremly heavy with lots of time changes and polyrythms;not easy listening)
Porcupine Tree Deadwing

Marco
11-12-2011, 05:51
Spacier?

..........Andre want to take 5 copies of Stacia to his island!!

http://www.starfarer.net/gallerya/italia_stacia72.jpg http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/StaciaStrobo_11t.JPG http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/HawkStaA_07At.JPG http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/HawkStaA_24At.jpg http://www.angel.dk/hawkwind/thumbs/StaciaCol_04At.JPG

Ooo-er, I spy some lady fur! Bet there was a fair bit of dandruff left on that stage! :eyebrows:

Marco.

YNWaN
11-12-2011, 09:48
There isn't anything 'spacey' about Matching Mole (which is a pun on the French for Soft Machine - the Band that Matching Mole essentially were*). I can't say I find King Crimson to be spacey either.

I can't really play this game -I like and have quite a lot of prog, including a lot of that discussed in this thread (loads of Hawkwind albums for example- 20 or so). But if I were on a desert island I wouldn't want my play-list to be limited to just 'spacey sounding prog'.

* In much the same way The Dukes of Statosphear were actually XTC (I've got both their albums too :)).

Probably the best known Matching Mole track:

OzJwryxoob4

Rare Bird
11-12-2011, 13:53
I can't play this game either cos it got out of perspective half way through.:lolsign:

jazzpiano
11-12-2011, 22:14
OK, let's just say Desert Island Prog Rock choices - no descriptors.
It's your choice - not mine, and I respect it.

Best,
Barry

Rare Bird
12-12-2011, 00:29
OK, let's just say Desert Island Prog Rock choices - no descriptors.
It's your choice - not mine, and I respect it.

Best,
Barry

Ok Barry
Mainstream Prog Fuzzies i hold in high regard (I can list you tons more goodies) I'm more of an obscure Psych/Prog man tho, so i kninda don't listern to the below too much..

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Genesis - Trespass
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Islands
Pink Floyd - More
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile Yes
Yes - Close To The Edge

(Majority of these should be on on Spotify)

MartinT
12-12-2011, 07:30
Agree with all of those, Andr'e. Add to the list PFM, early Uriah Heep and Hawkwind (prog or psychedelic?) and it's a good selection.

Rare Bird
12-12-2011, 10:55
Agree with all of those, Andr'e. Add to the list PFM, early Uriah Heep and Hawkwind (prog or psychedelic?) and it's a good selection.

PFM - Photos Of Ghosts
PFM - The World Became The World
Hawkwind - Hawkwind
Hawkwind - In Search Of Space
Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido
Hawkwind - Hall Of The Mountain Grill
Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time
Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself
Uriah Heep - Demonds & Wizzards

Hows That..Hawkwind are more Psychedelic space Rock, The Uriah Heep verge more on the heavy Rock side with plenty lashings of Prog (The Title track from their 'Salisbury' fuzzy is a prime example of this).

MartinT
12-12-2011, 11:19
:)

keiths
12-12-2011, 16:45
Great lists those.

Just one question - and I'm sure I should know this and it'll probably be a :doh: moment when someone tells me - but what's a "fuzzy" ?

MartinT
12-12-2011, 18:26
what's a "fuzzy" ?

Andr'es name for vinyl. :lol:

MartinT
12-12-2011, 18:28
Hows That

I'm finding the desert island quite appealing!

Roy S
12-12-2011, 18:53
Pink Floyd's obscured by clouds is a film soundtrack isn't it? haven't heard it in years, got it on vinyl somewhere. What about their first two albums?

keiths
12-12-2011, 19:02
Andr'es name for vinyl. :lol:

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

jazzpiano
12-12-2011, 20:07
Thank you all. I will search for the ones I'm not familiar with (any PFM, some of the VDG, and old Floyd).

~Barry

Rare Bird
12-12-2011, 21:01
Pink Floyd's obscured by clouds is a film soundtrack isn't it? haven't heard it in years, got it on vinyl somewhere.

Yes ST for La Valle'e.

Bluedroog
13-12-2011, 16:04
Eye in the Sky by The Alan Parsons Project, love this album.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/TheAlanParsonsProject-EyeintheSky.jpg

sparrow
13-12-2011, 16:27
oops..wrong thread..

Wolfie
16-12-2011, 14:07
Eye in the Sky by The Alan Parsons Project, love this album.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/TheAlanParsonsProject-EyeintheSky.jpg

Ah yes, the last song is sung by Colin Blunstone, who still sings this whenever he tours, whether as The Zombies with Rod Argent & co., or with his own band.

Mick

Rare Bird
16-12-2011, 14:14
Since when's that been prog? :lolsign:

Bluedroog
16-12-2011, 15:17
Since when's that been prog? :lolsign:

It's on the boundaries of a couple of genres but it's definitely got a bit of Prog about it.

Rare Bird
16-12-2011, 17:48
I'll bring that up on one of the prog forums, it should be intresting :lolsign:

Bluedroog
17-12-2011, 13:18
Ok, have fun! :ner:

Rare Bird
17-12-2011, 13:34
There isn't anything 'spacey' about Matching Mole (which is a pun on the French for Soft Machine - the Band that Matching Mole essentially were*).

For the intrested in Feb Matching Mole 's/t' will be available as 2CD expanded edition, also the Matching Mole 'Little Red Book' as 2CD edition

WOStantonCS100
26-12-2011, 21:52
I usually don't split hairs (or much care); but, Dream Theater, prog rock??? :scratch: As liberal as I am, I can't much see that. (I say that repectfully, knowing some will disagree.)

What I find really humorous is that in the photos of Stacia, folks seem to be largely ignoring her for the music. :lol: It's pretty hard to ignore that; but, if they are, the music (or the drugs) must be good. :lol: As such, I will have to check into this band. :) What LP should I start with?

DanJennings
27-12-2011, 10:21
I usually don't split hairs (or much care); but, Dream Theater, prog rock??? :scratch: As liberal as I am, I can't much see that. (I say that repectfully, knowing some will disagree.)

What I find really humorous is that in the photos of Stacia, folks seem to be largely ignoring her for the music. :lol: It's pretty hard to ignore that; but, if they are, the music (or the drugs) must be good. :lol: As such, I will have to check into this band. :) What LP should I start with?

any of these:

Warrior On The Edge Of Time,
Doremi Fasol Latido
Space Ritual
In Search Of Space

Rare Bird
27-12-2011, 10:36
any of these:

Doremi Fasol Latido
Space Ritual
In Search Of Space

They fit in the sub gen:Space Rock

The first self titled album aswell as 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill' are important too

MartinT
27-12-2011, 12:15
Doremi Fasol Latido
Space Ritual
In Search Of Space

Spot on! I would start with Space Ritual, as it gives the whole essence of their music.

Rare Bird
27-12-2011, 12:44
Just remember 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' is of paramount importance :eyebrows:

MartinT
27-12-2011, 13:39
Yes, agreed, and the best sounding recording too.

Wakefield Turntables
27-12-2011, 15:03

They split the metal and prog genre - Hence ProgMetal and there are other bands that appear in this genre such as the brilliant Opeth. ;)

John
27-12-2011, 15:55
Bands like Dream Theater are either love or hate.
Dream Theater certainly has many progressive influnces
Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Genesis and even bits of ELP
They also have plenty of metal influnces such as Metallica, Rush, Iron Maiden, Rainbow and Deep Purple
I must admit I do not want to get in another debate here about what is progressive or not. I tend to cause offence without meaning to, but be happy to have this talk anytime over a drink.

The Grand Wazoo
27-12-2011, 18:46
I must admit I do not want to get in another debate here about what is progressive or not.

Hear hear! - I ain't saying nuffink guv'nor!

Wakefield Turntables
27-12-2011, 19:45
They also have plenty of metal influnces such as Metallica, Rush, Iron Maiden, Rainbow and Deep Purple
I must admit I do not want to get in another debate here about what is progressive or not. I tend to cause offence without meaning to, but be happy to have this talk anytime over a drink.

John you have great taste, I have have just about every album on vinyl for the bands that you mention. This is mainly because 1st pressing prog vinyl goes for silly silly money, I paid £50 for a so-so 1st pressing of Egg's 1st album. I'm searching for a couple of Hatfield and The North's album's on vinyl, mainly The Rotters Club but they also seems to go for silly wonga. :(

Hear hear! - I ain't saying nuffink guv'nor!

+1 lets stick to the thread topic.

John
27-12-2011, 19:56
Well with Dream Theater been a fan since I first heard the first album playing in Shades when it first came out. Saw the band both nights at the Marquee and only missed a few tours, the last because it just costs crazy money and when the played Shepards Bush I actually lost my ticket for that one:doh:

WOStantonCS100
27-12-2011, 20:11

Right... nope... not looking for an argument and I've certainly got a lot of DT in my collection. I just always thought of them as "intelligent" hard rock/metal. :) Just another example of why "genre labeling" is a big pain in the -------.

John
27-12-2011, 20:19
Agree about labeling totally Biff

Grez
03-01-2012, 14:47
I like me prog.... Rick Wakeman, ELP etc.

LOVE this.... give it a spin!

66DpPh7q7xw

Haselsh1
06-01-2012, 16:28
I'd like to nominate Ozric Tentacles' 'Become The Other' as my desert island 'Prog' album as I definitely consider it 'Prog' and very 'spacey'. Unfortunately, this is the album where their drummer walked away to form Eat Static so a lot of the drums and percussion are provided via Roland. It is such a shame but I still think it is a classic album in a 'space/rock' theme.

oceanobsession
08-01-2012, 23:12
Must have a listen to some Van der Graaf Generator.