PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Fringe

jazzpiano
09-12-2011, 07:06
I'm wondering if any of you have any humourous or bizarre hi-fi stories you'd like to share (feel free to share the same regarding record store experiences). I used to work, many years ago, in the early 80s to be exact, in an audio shop. We sold Magnepans or "maggies". We knew that we had to be careful selling them because A) they were unusual in appearance, size, etc. and, B) they required quite a bit of space around them to sound good and were 'finicky' about placement. So, one day we get a call from a guy who lives on a couple acres of farmland with a pond he shares with a neighbor. He asks if it's possible to dry out and reuse a pair of Magnepans. Seems his neighbor owned a pair,got totally frustrated with trying to get them to sound "right" and chucked them in the pond. It doesn't end here. In a "creepier" maggie story, one day a guy comes in with two children of about 13, 14 years of age. He says he's interested in applying the Magnepan principle to the invention of a sex toy. He says this in front of the children, who giggle away. Thankfully, he didn't buy and I never saw him again.

~Barry

The Grand Wazoo
09-12-2011, 07:36
The guy with the pond was probably trying to improve their ef-fish-iency.

............God, I know, I know..............I'm sorry, I really, really am so sorry!

bobbasrah
09-12-2011, 09:11
The guy with the pond was probably trying to improve their ef-fish-iency.

............God, I know, I know..............I'm sorry, I really, really am so sorry!

.....and transparency Chris, you missed the opporchancity.....:lolsign:

jazzpiano
09-12-2011, 17:31
Brilliant! and yes, you should appologize. I've heard of sticking an electric probe into water to kill fish but...

~Barry

The Grand Wazoo
10-12-2011, 12:31
I was wondering if he might chuck the odd power amp in there to, in an attempt to improve the damping factor.......

Ok, Ok, I'll just go, shall I?

http://www.wrought-iron-crafts.com/gifs/wrought-iron-gifts-hooks.jpg

Macca
10-12-2011, 12:40
No Chris - don't become des-pond-ant,,,

jazzpiano
10-12-2011, 20:08
I hear he fancies more liquid highs Chris, something I wouldn't carp about.

~Barry

Sorry, you started this...

Roy S
10-12-2011, 20:54
dSINO6MKtco