PDA

View Full Version : Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/5a V2/ Harbeth P3ESR

basnas
05-12-2011, 19:01
Hi
Any who have compare the Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/5a V2 and the Harbeth P3ESR.
My amp is croft micro 25RS and a Series 7.

best jan

DSJR
05-12-2011, 20:00
Either should be a wonderful combination, but the P3ESR is now a far cry from the original P3 which showed the Harbeth LS3/5A the door way back when both models were made side by side at Harbeth. Having said that, the V2 is a very different animal to the old 3/5A's as well and I'm told by a fan that some BBC engineers who love their old-uns really like the V2, which I understand has/had a lot of work done on it by Derek Hughes (citation needed here), who I understand has had a huge hand in the NEW LS3/6 that will be sold first by Walrus Systems (who says I only shill for my mate Dave?). The voicing of the 3/5A shouldn't be so different to the original, but consistancy of drivers should be in a different league, as those pesky old KEF drivers were a pain in the backside I remember.

How the new 3/6 incarnation compares to the Spendor SP1/2R series (also originally designed by Derek H I think) for a few hundred quid less will be very interesting and of course, there's the cheaper Harbeth SHL5 to consider as well :)

Martyn Miles
05-10-2018, 21:30
Hi
Any who have compared the Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/5a V2 and the Harbeth P3ESR.
My amp is croft micro 25RS and a Series 7.

best jan

I have just bought a pair of V2s ( at a very competitive price ) to compare with my ‘ESRs. I thought if I don’t like them
I could sell them on without losing money, or even make a small profit.
I’ve owned various LS3/5as over the years, Audiomasters, Falcons and Harbeths, so I know the ‘3/5a well.

After setting the V2s up in place of the ‘ESRs, I’ll admit I was rather apprehensive. I shouldn’t have been, the V2s are
superb.
The famed LS3/5a midrange was there, but there seemed to be a subjectively deeper bass with a slightly brighter and smoother top. Piano sounded gorgeous, just as it does on the P3-ESRs.

It’s easy to be enraptured by a pair of speakers, so I linked up the Harbeths again.
They were smoother, with a deeper bass and an unobtrusive top end. The image was bigger than the V2s.
Piano sounded just that bit more realistic, with more ‘body.’
Where the V2s came in to their own was with a Linn LP12 and a Denon 103. The Denon can sound bass heavy with
some recordings when using Spendor BC1s. With the Stirling V2s, that bass end worked perfectly giving a beautiful
balance.
In conclusion, I feel the Harbeths P3-ESRs are the superior speakers but I could easily live with the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2s.

Ninanina
05-10-2018, 22:26
I had the standard Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a's and they sounded wonderful with the right amp so I would guess the V2 is probably even better

hifi_dave
06-10-2018, 10:02
I've done several demos of the various modern incarnations of the LS3/5A against the Harbeth P3ESR and not a single customer could find anything they did which could equal the Harbeths.

To my ears, the Falcon LS3/5A had slightly more body and weight to the others but still not a patch on the P3ESR.

Martyn Miles
06-10-2018, 16:23
I've done several demos of the various modern incarnations of the LS3/5a against the Harbeth P3ESR and not a single customer could find anything they did which could equal the Harbeths.

To my ears, the Falcon LS3/5A had slightly more body and weight to the others, but still not a patch on the P3ESR.

I wouldn’t disagree re. the P3-ESRs, but there is something about the Stirling V2 I like.
It seems to improve on the ‘Kef drivered’ models of which I’ve had experience.
They were Audiomasters, Harbeths & Falcons.
I would agree the Falcons were the best of the bunch.
The ‘ESRs are my most used speakers.
By the way, Dave, I bought the Harbeths from you via. David Rance.

hifi_dave
07-10-2018, 09:49
Hi Martyn. Yes, I remember, thank you.

graham67
07-10-2018, 22:09
I would also highly recommend listening to the Graham Audio Chartwell LS 3/5, the predecessor to the 3/5A. I haven't done a side by side comparison with other 3/5As but I really liked these. There was a real generosity to the sound and what surprised me was they could really rock out.

Martyn Miles
08-10-2018, 05:42
I was planning to go and listen to a pair of Grahams at Hidden Systems in Hampshire, but events took another turn.
I’d still like to hear a pair sometime.
On the Pink Fish Media Classic section, under ‘Falcon v Graham ( and Stirling ? )’ someone who has bought a pair of Graham 3/5s has posted his findings.
Very interesting...

Martyn Miles
18-11-2019, 17:28
I am hoping to listen to the Stirling V3s in the New Year, at home.
Could be interesting...

IHP
18-11-2019, 18:01
I am hoping to listen to the Stirling V3s in the New Year, at home.
Could be interesting...

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the V3 Martyn and enjoyed reading your comments on the V2. They are all such beautiful speakers though like yourself I went for the Harbs.

And Jan, May I be so bold as to suggest you consider sending your Croft 7 back to GC and having the monos returned at some point in the future (funds are involved !) ? I've just done this and it's a bit of a wow !! Put it on the list :)

Nice thread hearing what people have to say - like us all here I just adore the LS3/5a variations, what they all do they seem to do just perfectly. I've not been fortunate enough to hear a pair of Graham 3/5s, would love to. If only distance weren't such an issue - LS3/5a iteration bake off !

Martyn Miles
05-02-2020, 20:47
Well, I’ve had my V3s for about 5 weeks now and they are superb.
So superb that I’ve sold my Harbeth P3s.
( Yes, you read that correctly )

The V3s have the best bass end of any small speakers I’ve ever heard.
Period.
The are so holographic, images just ‘hang in the air’ like no speakers I have ever heard.
I am constantly surprised when I dig out a recording I thought I knew so well.
Stirling have made a great step forward with this model.

Do get to hear a pair....

eldarvanyar
28-04-2020, 23:22
Hope you don’t mind me jumping in, how would the P3ESR compare to my Proac Response 1 SC speakers? Mine are cherry

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200428/f2b3085283a590f5d51b049fa9a53741.jpg

I have seen the prices of the Harbeth P3ESR and the Stirling V2, similar price, and they seem a much better bet than trying to buy LS3/5a second hand or even building a Falcon pair.

I like the cherry in the P3ESR
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200428/3970488f56ab1003868412bbff07a487.jpg
I am wondering if I should seriously consider buying the P3ESR as a keeper pair.

My room is 3.5m x 3.5m and I have valve and ss amps I could pair with them. If I need to start a new thread please say.

Thanks

Lee

eldarvanyar
29-04-2020, 07:06
Hope you don’t mind me jumping in, how would the P3ESR compare to my Proac Response 1 SC speakers? Mine are cherry

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200428/f2b3085283a590f5d51b049fa9a53741.jpg

I have seen the prices of the Harbeth P3ESR and the Stirling V2, similar price, and they seem a much better bet than trying to buy LS3/5a second hand or even building a Falcon pair.

I like the cherry in the P3ESR
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200428/3970488f56ab1003868412bbff07a487.jpg
I am wondering if I should seriously consider buying the P3ESR as a keeper pair.

My room is 3.5m x 3.5m and I have valve and ss amps I could pair with them. If I need to start a new thread please say.

Thanks

Lee

Oh, what difference is the P3ESRse to the normal P3ESR, is it just upgraded internal wiring?

Thanks

hifi_dave
29-04-2020, 09:01
The P3ESR are superb and I sell quite a few. I have often done demos against various LS3/5A clones and never had anyone not prefer the P3ESR.

Not sure what an SE is, maybe made for export markets some time in the past but I've never seen any.

eldarvanyar
29-04-2020, 14:07
The P3ESR are superb and I sell quite a few. I have often done demos against various LS3/5A clones and never had anyone not prefer the P3ESR.

Not sure what an SE is, maybe made for export markets some time in the past but I've never seen any.

Hi Dave
How much are they in Cherry?
Thanks
Lee

eldarvanyar
29-04-2020, 19:51
Sorry I should probably have asked you to PM me as I don’t want to break any rules- I will drop you a pm as I couldn’t see on your website
Thanks
Lee

high.spirits
30-04-2020, 08:48
Well, I’ve had my V3s for about 5 weeks now and they are superb.
So superb that I’ve sold my Harbeth P3s.
( Yes, you read that correctly )

The V3s have the best bass end of any small speakers I’ve ever heard.
Period.
The are so holographic, images just ‘hang in the air’ like no speakers I have ever heard.
I am constantly surprised when I dig out a recording I thought I knew so well.
Stirling have made a great step forward with this model.

Do get to hear a pair....

Where did you manage to listen to them Martyn? Getting an audition list together for post lock down. Thanks