PDA

View Full Version : Phono stage 'hiss'

sprint
03-12-2011, 10:39
How much 'hiss' would you expect to get from a phono stage?

I have M.F. Nu-Vista integrated amp and using a A.N.T. Kora 3T Ltd MC phono amp. With the phono amp not connected and the vol level at the 12 o'clock position there is some audible hiss with you ear close to the speakers but not at the listening position, approx 3m away. At the 3 o'clock position, don't normally play above the 12 position, there is audible hiss from the listening position.

With the phono amp connected I now get significant audible hiss at the 12 o'clock position and also between the 10 and 12 o'clock which is normal listening level.

I think the gain on the phono amp is about 62db so there will be an increase in noise level (I get no hum whether the arm earth leads are fitted or no) but would you expect to have audible hiss at the normal listening vol level between the 9 and 12 o'clock?

YNWaN
03-12-2011, 11:02
Yes, probably.

YNWaN
03-12-2011, 14:52
I see someone has told you that a good phonostage shouldn't produce any hiss - if that is the case then there aren't any good phonostages; absolutely all the ones I have ever come across produce some hiss. If someone thinks there's isn't producing any hiss they need to listen a bit more closely.

I can hear hiss from the phonostage (without a record playing) when I sit in my listening seat and listen at what I consider to be a normal listening level (which is quite loud).

sprint
03-12-2011, 21:15
I see someone has told you that a good phonostage shouldn't produce any hiss - if that is the case then there aren't any good phonostages; absolutely all the ones I have ever come across produce some hiss. If someone thinks there's isn't producing any hiss they need to listen a bit more closely.

I can hear hiss from the phonostage (without a record playing) when I sit in my listening seat and listen at what I consider to be a normal listening level (which is quite loud).

Thanks.

Having never owned a high quality T/T system and separate phono stage before I have no experience of what to expect and as a result concerned that something is not in order as I was expecting no audible hiss?

However, I do note that the Nu-Vista has a separate independent phono input in MM mode and it actually produces more hiss that the input I am using with the A.N.T.

lurcher
03-12-2011, 21:50
What cartridge are you using? 62dB should be ok for a MC with 0.3mv or so output. I would expect hiss when turned up, beyond listening level, or with ear to tweeter, but not at listening levels at normal listening distance. How does the hiss level compare to the background noise of a quiet record?

sprint
04-12-2011, 09:57
What cartridge are you using? 62dB should be ok for a MC with 0.3mv or so output. I would expect hiss when turned up, beyond listening level, or with ear to tweeter, but not at listening levels at normal listening distance. How does the hiss level compare to the background noise of a quiet record?

The cartridge is a Benz Micro Wood SL, 0.4mv output.

With the phono amp not connected there is audible hiss close to the speaker, but not 3m away with the vol in the 12 o'clock position. With the phono amp connected there is noticeable audible hiss from 3m away.

lurcher
04-12-2011, 12:05
Without knowing your kit (or how quiet the background noise is in your listening room, quiet I would guess) its hard to say. How does it compare to the level of a silent section of a LP, if its louder or equal to that then its certainly too much,

jostber
04-12-2011, 20:18
Some input here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/phono-stage-hissing
http://www.head-fi.org/t/506250/how-do-i-stop-the-hiss-coming-from-my-phono-pre-amp
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=130977