PDA

View Full Version : The Most Severe Abuses of the English Language

The Grand Wazoo
30-11-2011, 18:50
As promised in this thread (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14331), I am now in a position to disclose the latest trends in bollocks speak.

Or, to put it another way, this thread is about what's currently trending in the communicational environment of the corpo-sphere and the quango-logical jungle, as well as both the central and locally focussed governmental realms.

Is it just the natural evolution of the English language?
Is it technical jargon?
Maybe it's ignorance?
.........perhaps it's contagious?

Personally, I think it's pretentious tossers who are unable to express themselves properly and have such an over-inflated sense of self importance that they constantly feel the need to impress with an apparently limitless grasp of all that is new and shiny. It's then perpetuated by a never ending spiral of one-upmanship caused by the need for all of these idiots not to look 'stupid' by saying something like "I'm sorry I don't understand that, would you mind explaining for me"

Here are some of the ridiculous things that are said and written by these idiots as a result of that situation:

You know when you used to have a meeting, you gathered several people round a table to discuss things? Well apparently, that is now a 'goldfish bowl facilitated conversation'.

If the meeting was planned in advance, it was probably 'pre-diarised'.

But it's all good, because it allowed the attendees the 'opportunity to conversate'.

The discussion is likely to begin with what used to be an overview, but since became a 'high altitude view' .......and has now become a 'helicopter view'.

Perhaps during the meeting you'll discuss a new product or idea that some people may think is badly thought through. In which case, they will possibly inform you that it has a 'feature gap'.

When the discussion goes into the fine detail it will be'down to a certain level of granularity'.

But it's OK, the problem can be solved because your organisation will, no doubt, have a 'basket of improvement levers'.

Hang on though! Does everyone know how to use these levers? If not they'll have to be trained, so we'll ensure that they 'undergo the appropriate enskilling process'.

When you report back to your boss about what went on in the meeting, you'll attend a 'washing up session'.

If you write up the minutes, you will be preparing a 'backward look statement'.

And it will probably be 'signed off by an informed lead'.

Now then.
If you ask these people to produce documents or make speeches, you get sentences like this:

"We are assessing and mitigating immediate impacts, and developing a high-level overview to help frame the conversation with our customers and key stakeholders"

"…….We must recognise the emergency of the 'wellderly'." (Harriet Harman)

"We will monitor using existing monitoring frameworks with information also provided to BARS. Information will show changes in extent of habitat as well as metrics for the improved connectivity and reduction in pinch points within the network"

"Using the national dataset of species dispersal ability along with the tier 1 and 2 data sets and relating to needs assessment on water management and climate change adaptation from the 3 city region GI Frameworks we have identified target pinch points in the Mersey Riverine system where interventions to improve management or create new habitat will have a significant biodiversity benefit and specifically provide additional water and climate change adaption functionality".

"The onion model set out the Government's vision of what was needed to achieve whole system change. There is an urgent need for still greater integration at every layer of the onion in frontline delivery, processes, strategy and governance. At the level of service delivery in particular there remains significant practical, philosophical and resource barriers to full integration. Further legislative changes at governance level alone will not automatically make it easier to address these barriers"

"The new spatial planning system moves away from what can be called the old style 'plan-present-defend' basis of consultation to one of consensus-building, working alongside stakeholders and communities in vision and strategy formation and its approach is therefore based on enabling engagement at every stage of plan-making and implementation."

Reid Malenfant
30-11-2011, 19:03
:lolsign: Damn it's actually quite sad in a way :doh:

AAshton
30-11-2011, 19:16
Apparently three quarters of those phrases originate in Yorkshire :eyebrows:

Andrew

Tim
30-11-2011, 20:20
Personally, I think it's pretentious tossers who are unable to express themselves properly and have such an over-inflated sense of self importance that they constantly feel the need to impress with an apparently limitless grasp of all that is new and shiny.
Abso-bloody-lutely.

prestonchipfryer
30-11-2011, 20:31
Whot anoyys me moar is the realy bud spalung thut seams vary pravalint those daze.

:steam:

Roy S
30-11-2011, 20:34
& text speak. l8ters

jazzpiano
30-11-2011, 22:32
"Pre-diarised" and "conversate" sound like George Bushisms to me.

~Barry

The Vinyl Adventure
30-11-2011, 23:15
We were talking about this at work the other day...
If you don't know what it means your not important enough!
It's becomes like an elitist clique I think...
We get them at work, lots of pointless acronyms too "proposal needs to be SO by EOP EOW" was a recent one ... My response "what in the world does that mean" ... "it needs to be signed off by the end of play, the end of the week"
.... Well why not just say that? Or just say "5pm Friday" ... "5pm fri" and you have used that same amount of characters...
It gives people a sense of self importance ...
I just don't get it!
What ever happened to talking to each other like human beings?

goraman
01-12-2011, 04:50
GETTING IT READY FOR YOU...
NEARLY READY...
ALMOST READY FOR YOU!
FREE MONEY!!!
FREE MONEY FOR YOU!!!!

Sounds like something Peter Sellers would have pitched in the MC.

Windthrope, try that with an American accent...
That was an American accent.
Good God Man,what is going on over there?

I've never been sacked in Afghanistan...

A classic film unknown to 99.999% of Americans.
The first time I saw that movie I was so smoked up.

Beechwoods
01-12-2011, 07:23
Don't forget you need to dive into the detail and leverage our IP. And benefits will of course be realised via baking into balanced scorecard objectives.

The Grand Wazoo
01-12-2011, 07:40
Leverage.........aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgghh!!!!

Puffin
01-12-2011, 07:47
"my fellow amphibians........"

bobbasrah
01-12-2011, 10:22
Thank you Chris,
Absolutely bloody priceless....

jazzpiano
01-12-2011, 18:47
"awesome"
"wow"
"really?"
"like ____"
"Are we having fun yet?"
"What's the good word?"

Roy S
01-12-2011, 19:04
'Quick and dirty' eh?

Beechwoods
01-12-2011, 21:02
Belt and braces!

The Grand Wazoo
01-12-2011, 21:12
"We must downdial our expectations and readjust the flightpath"

...........I kid you not!

Dominic Harper
01-12-2011, 21:20
What About 'No probs' or 'tomoz' although I have to say I have used these terms in many of my emails.

Natalie;)

DaveK
01-12-2011, 21:36
What about, "I am loving ....." - sounds to me like the sort of thing one of those telephone chat line girls might say to one of her more gullible clients, not that I have any experience of such things you understand :lol: .
Dave.

Dominic Harper
01-12-2011, 21:39
What about, "I am loving ....." - sounds to me like the sort of thing one of those telephone chat line girls might say to one of her more gullible clients, not that I have any experience of such things you understand :lol: .
Dave.

Yes, I bet you don't:lolsign:

Natalie;)

Roy S
01-12-2011, 21:44
Synergies, Silos & blue-sky thinking...

The Grand Wazoo
01-12-2011, 21:50
Naaah, plain old blue sky thinking is out. Now it's "upscale blue-sky thinking"

DaveK
01-12-2011, 22:11
Yes, I bet you don't:lolsign:

Natalie;)

Natalie, you have me at a disadvantage - I've never won an argument with a lady in my life so the less I add to my previous statement the better, I think :lol: :lolsign: :nocomment:
Dave.

The Grand Wazoo
02-12-2011, 00:42
"..........get all our ducks in a row before the five year olds wake up".

Beechwoods
02-12-2011, 07:22
I'm going to have to try and slip that one in at some point today!

The Grand Wazoo
02-12-2011, 07:29
I have one of my own creation that I like to use with tongue firmly in cheek as an inverted homage to this bolloxspeak: ......"there's going to be an effluent & fan interface scenario"

jazzpiano
03-12-2011, 20:00
I think something's hitting the rotary oscillator.

~Barry

Dominic Harper
03-12-2011, 20:18
I have one of my own creation that I like to use with tongue firmly in cheek as an inverted homage to this bolloxspeak: ......"there's going to be an effluent & fan interface scenario"

Chris, I think I am going to have to start using this myself, bloody funny and clever:lol:

Natalie

DaveK
03-12-2011, 20:42
We Brits have long had a reputation of speaking in cliches - is this not just a rather exagerated extension of that trend?
Dave.

Rare Bird
03-12-2011, 21:28
wor er'orless sey issur iffin yer cun undrstan wors bin rittun, dats orl er matturs loike.

Marco
03-12-2011, 21:45
Ah huvnae goat a scooby whit ye'ur chunterin' oan aboot! Maste ah yon pish comes fae bawbags.

Marco.

Dominic Harper
03-12-2011, 21:50
Ah huvnae goat a scooby whit ye'ur chunterin' oan aboot!

Marco.

I think that means 'I haven't got a clue what you are talking about' Am I right Marco?

Natalie;)

Marco
03-12-2011, 21:55
Spot on, Natalie! :eyebrows:

Marco.

bobbasrah
03-12-2011, 21:56
I think that means 'I haven't got a clue what you are talking about' Am I right Marco?

Natalie;)

I suspect that a few Stanley Baxter's BBC clips would be priceless at this juncture.....

Rare Bird
04-12-2011, 00:03
Ah huvnae goat a scooby whit ye'ur chunterin' oan aboot! Maste ah yon pish comes fae bawbags.

wor er'orless sey issur iffin yer cun undrstan wors bin rittun, dats orl er matturs loike.

(What i always say is if you can understand whats been written, that's all that matters like.)

:lolsign:

prestonchipfryer
04-12-2011, 08:51
sye, adgeer, veen ewhn ritwten ikle hits.

(yes, agreed, even when written like this).

The Grand Wazoo
18-02-2012, 01:27
How about a Random Mission Statement Generator?

Why hire a high-priced consultant to create a vapid, content-free mission statement for your organization when Nonsense can do it for you? By stringing a few buzzwords together, Nonsense can randomly generate mission statements that are just as meaningless as the real thing.

http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/demo/mission/

Just reload the page every time you want to see a whole new set of facile shite!

DaveK
18-02-2012, 09:10
This post is un-called for in these difficulut times. Many of our fellow human beings are being paid well for coming up with such statements and when many CEOs see this and realise that they can get a similar or better service for free the ranks of the unemployed are going to be swelled even more - shame on you!!