PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Shame Pressings (New / Reissue)

WOStantonCS100
29-11-2011, 23:26
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to make a running list of known bad vinyl pressings so folks can avoid such. I came across two recently. Both are in the "R&B" genre.

James Brown There It Is (Re-issue)

I rolled the dice with a second one of these. Several different cart/stylus combos and different turntable/arm combinations were tried. Alas, it looks like the problem is with the master. The distortion is clearly evident right at the beginning when the woman exclaims "Owww... There it is!!!" on both of my pressings. This one's a no go.

The New Birth Coming Together (Re-issue)

This one is truly sad, from a quality standpoint. The track "Yesterday I Heard The Rain" actually has a recorded skip in it!!! Obviously, they sourced this reissue from a questionable quality (original?) pressing. How does that get passed QA!?!?!? I did some research and found that, as expected, the original pressing does not skip. Furthermore, there was a CD reissue of this... ...which also has the recorded skip on this song!!! How in the world did that one get a green light?

-----------------------------

I fully realize that some companies are just spewing out cheap re-issues and not using the original master tapes and in many cases, I'm actually ok with that, if the sound quality is good and especially if obtaining an original copy goes for insane money (ie. Stark Reality / Hoagy Carmichaels Music Shop just went for $850 on the auction site). But, but, but....... c'mon... obnoxious distortion, a recorded skip!! I'll pass.

I've had mostly good luck with reissues. If you know of any other bodged pressings, in any genre, please share.

Audioman
30-11-2011, 20:30
Most US pressings not from RTI. Lost Highway label pressings are regularly very crackly. Had a copy of Ryan Adams Heartbreaker that was almost unlistenable with surface noise on Cobraside label.

WOStantonCS100
30-11-2011, 22:03
Most of my US re-issues are quite good. However, pressings coming from the Rainbow Records plant in California (that spit them out left and right) seem to be very hit or miss, as well as the pressings I've gotten from Brasil.

jazzpiano
30-11-2011, 22:28
I have not been happy with the late 70s basic re-issues (not 180 gram or audiophile label) of 50s jazz greats, like Monk on Riverside, etc. The exception would be Columbias which I think generally sound pretty good - for example, I have Leonard Cohen, Aaron Copland, and Miles Davis all on late Columbia and they all hold up pretty well. Some others though, I think they were just tossed off (American definition of "tossed" please)and have very thin poor quality vinyl, often are warped, and not as big a deal unless you're very persnickity, but the graphics are less clear (crappy printing).

~Barry