PDA

View Full Version : Retread car tyres

Covenant
27-11-2011, 13:12
I do a lot of miles in my Lexus, took it in for a service on Saturday and got presented with a list of things that need attention shortly. One of the items is that the two rear tyres have only 2mm tread depth so need replacing very soon.
As usual I trawled the web and they were mostly £60-£80 each for a mid range tyre. Just out of interest I tried ebay and found a company that offer retreaded tyres much cheaper. These are not remoulds but complete new treads. So I can have two Michelin pattern for £84 including delivery.
Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-tyres-Michelin-pattern-PROFIL-PROSPORT3-205-55-R16-91V-New-Retread-/330640214432?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item4cfbb149a0#ht_2066wt_942

What do you reckon?

Stratmangler
27-11-2011, 13:18
I wouldn't touch a retread with a ten foot pole.
I value my existance more highly than to fit retreads.

Welder
27-11-2011, 13:20
NO! :doh:

Thing Fish
27-11-2011, 13:26
Its like buying a cheap crash helmet. False economy.

Vinyleyes
27-11-2011, 13:39
As a general rule ... retreads are more susceptible to delamination than regular tyres if the tyre is not kept at the corrrect pressure or they run too hot.
They are generally not rated at the higher speeds and if you do a lot of motorway miles around 70/90 mph this could make them a candidate for overheating and possible failure.
They are used mainly on aircraft tyres and the trucking industry for the massive cost savings. But remember that trucks can have 18 tyres so one failure is not likely to be a problem .. and aircraft tyres only do the first and last mile of their journeys :-)
If you really must use them then do not put them on the steering axle .. use as rear tyres only and keep them correctly inflated and do not exceed their speed rating.
I used them as a student ... but I was invulnerable then .... :lolsign:

Tim
27-11-2011, 13:51
Absolutely and equivocally no way!

You have four points of contact with the road that contribute hugely to the handling and safety of your car. You may never need them to perform at their best depending on the circumstances, your driving style and the road/weather conditions. BUT, step outside those areas with tyres that are less than 100% efficient and you are gambling with your life and whoever you may be carrying.

IMO there's one thing you should never skimp on with car ownership and that's tyres - I could (but won't) relate some pretty gruesome stories about people who got this badly wrong, just to try and save a few pounds. These people are no longer amongst the living.

Covenant
27-11-2011, 13:56
Well you have put me right off retreads!
Two Pirelli P6000's for £104 sound better?

StanleyB
27-11-2011, 14:08
I always look at the ability of the tyres to provide good grip and long life time, versus their cost. At £104 for two P6000's I would fall well short of the purchase price of even one tyre on my car... And you wouldn't get me to fit Pirelli's even if you gave them too me. I had problems with the P6000 speed of wear and lack of cornering grip. Binned them before they were even 4000 miles old after a couple of near death experiences during fast cornering.
Have a look at the Michelin offers in Costco. I recommend them highly.

Stratmangler
27-11-2011, 14:08
I used these chaps last time my car needed new boots http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search
Had the tyres fitted at my nearest National Tyres Depot (fitting was in the price, so I didn't pay extra).

Covenant
27-11-2011, 14:20
I am not a fast driver Stan and my Lexus has the acceleration of a milk float, in fact it is dangerously slow. Now that you mention it I think I have had Pirelli in the past which didn't last long.

Tim
27-11-2011, 14:37
Tyres really are a good example of you get what you pay for. Maybe take a trip to the Library and read some Which reports on car tyres?

YNWaN
27-11-2011, 14:39
I use blackcircles who are very good on choice and price. I agree with everything above, and wouldn't dream of choosing re-treads. However, I do like to drive 'vigorously'.

I use Toyo Proxes at present - much beloved of boy-racers but they are actually excellent.

Alex_UK
27-11-2011, 17:37
Now that you mention it I think I have had Pirelli in the past which didn't last long.

As always - YMMV (:lol:) - I have Pirelli P7's on my car, which were on it from new - they are now due replacement (£160 EACH!) but I have got 50,000 miles out of them - needless to say, I'm sticking with the same tyres.

Avoiding retreads is definitely a good idea, though...

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 17:48
:lolsign: You car drivers have no idea about how expensive tyres can be :doh:

I was looking for a rear tyre for my Yamaha 1000 about every 1000 miles, maybe 1500 if I was lucky. At £120 a pop it wasn't a cheap hobby. Front tyres lasted longer, say 2500 miles & only cost £70 :eyebrows:

worthingpagan
27-11-2011, 19:12
No way, don't do it, never use remoulds or retreads, especially on a car capable of high performance, jesus, it's the only thing that keeps you attached to the road :stalks:

A cheaper solution would be to trade in the car and get a decent motorbike, then your trye bill will be halved and you'll have much more fun ;)

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 19:15
A cheaper solution would be to trade in the car and get a decent motorbike, then your trye bill will be halved and you'll have much more fun ;)
You obviously didn't read my previous post did you :lolsign:

Maybe a Suzuki GS500 might be cheap to run but a supersports 1000 most certainly isn't. It'd be cheaper to run a Porche by a good margin :doh:

Covenant
27-11-2011, 19:18
I would like to see the bike that could take the equipment I have in my boot-including two ladders, equipment bag, hi viz jacket, boots etc :lol:

worthingpagan
27-11-2011, 19:21
You obviously didn't read my previous post did you :lolsign:

Maybe a Suzuki GS500 might be cheap to run but a supersports 1000 most certainly isn't. It'd be cheaper to run a Porche by a good margin :doh:

Yeah, saw your previous post, but you didn't go as far as advising throwing the 4 wheels away though ;) So far as the difference between between a gs500 and ss1000, i'm not arguing, but i assumed the op wanted to get from a-b alive :lol:

worthingpagan
27-11-2011, 19:22
I would like to see the bike that could take the equipment I have in my boot-including two ladders, equipment bag, hi viz jacket, boots etc :lol:

it's one with a trailer :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 19:33
So far as the difference between between a gs500 and ss1000, i'm not arguing, but i assumed the op wanted to get from a-b alive :lol:
:D Good point, though I am & have never broken a bone in my life (& hopefully won't touchwood) ;)

Tim
27-11-2011, 19:44
. . . though I am & have never broken a bone in my life
. . . doh, that's your Christmas screwed then :doh:

:lol:

Reid Malenfant
27-11-2011, 19:46
Nooooo, I touched wood :eyebrows:

Puffin
27-11-2011, 21:44
I have jsut recently replaced the front tyres on my Megane. I had a full set of Bridgestones last time, the rears are still ok after about 45,000. So what did I buy for the front.......

Covenant
27-11-2011, 21:54
Bridgestones?

Rare Bird
28-11-2011, 03:42
I don't drive but if id did i think the best tyres would be of the upmost importance to me.

MartinT
28-11-2011, 06:33
I use blackcircles who are very good on choice and price. I agree with everything above, and wouldn't dream of choosing re-treads. However, I do like to drive 'vigorously'.

I use Toyo Proxes at present - much beloved of boy-racers but they are actually excellent.

Another vote for Black Circles here, I've been using them for years. I like Proxes and have used them before but my current favourites are Avon ZZ3. At £150 each, they are not cheap but I value my life in the rain and snow and they stick like glue.

MartinT
28-11-2011, 06:35
:lolsign: You car drivers have no idea about how expensive tyres can be :doh:

I was looking for a rear tyre for my Yamaha 1000 about every 1000 miles, maybe 1500 if I was lucky. At £120 a pop it wasn't a cheap hobby. Front tyres lasted longer, say 2500 miles & only cost £70 :eyebrows:

Well, my car came specified for run-flats at £1000 a set. The rears last no more than 10,000 miles. I now use non-run-flats for the superior grip and at almost half the price. Bridgestone run-flats may as well be polished mirrors in the snow :eek:

Covenant
28-11-2011, 19:36
I don't drive but if id did i think the best tyres would be of the upmost importance to me.

Tyres are just another consumable. Also to be replaced are the rear brake calipers, pads and the front discs. All are important but you have to shop around a bit otherwise you would never be able to buy hifi!

Reid Malenfant
28-11-2011, 19:46
Well, my car came specified for run-flats at £1000 a set. The rears last no more than 10,000 miles. I now use non-run-flats for the superior grip and at almost half the price. Bridgestone run-flats may as well be polished mirrors in the snow :eek:
So it's still cheaper on tyres than a 1000cc supersports motorbike even if you kept to the £1000 run flats ;)

I always used to burn out the sides of the tyres before the middle, but then I liked twisty roads :eyebrows:

MartinT
28-11-2011, 20:47
but then I liked twisty roads :eyebrows:

Me too, the centre of my tread always lasts longer than the edges!

cellistic
02-12-2011, 21:26
Ok everyone:

-No run flats
-No bridgestones
-NO RETREADS (yes I'm shouting)

RETREADS=RETARDS (just a handy mnemonic)

Lord, I've met a half dozen nearly-dead-but-very-nice people that had a retread delam or explode while they were on a three lane road.

I'm going to go do something productive now, like retrieve another pint in my non-retread slippers (not to be confused with non-retard slippers).

Reid Malenfant
02-12-2011, 21:49
no idea why I'm posting this, but
You might just save someones life, I think that's a pretty good idea myself ;)

Have a good weekend Rob, you have done your bit for humanity :)

Whether they take heed or not is another thing entirely :D

Covenant
03-12-2011, 09:43
Well I did take heed! I bought two new mid-range tyres, supplied, fitted , valves and balanced for £131.
Not a bad price for a local garage I thought.

Tim
03-12-2011, 10:27
Phew, glad you got new tyres there Jerry.