PDA

View Full Version : Imagination?

icehockeyboy
27-11-2011, 12:53
Nothing better to do.....well....except paper one wall of a bedroom in a toile de jouets over priced paper the wife bought from Laura Ashley, anyway, the important thing.......I swapped out the spikes and shoe cups from my loudspeakers, and stuck on some cheap floor type protector pads, possibly not sorbothane, and it probably is my imagination, but I believe the outcome is a slightly better sound, nothing night and day, just an apparent improvement in bass and middle, possibly even treble too.
I did leave the granite plinths in situ, which are on laminate on a concrete floor.
Thoughts?

Ta! :)

YNWaN
27-11-2011, 12:55
I suspect that when you put the spikes back on, you will find the sound improves again.

icehockeyboy
27-11-2011, 13:00
I suspect that when you put the spikes back on, you will find the sound improves again.

Quite likely! :lol:

Although I am listening to some of my favourite tracks, and some I don't care about, but do sound good, and there does seem a difference, definitely in the upper mid and treble mostly.

Plus of course the waf kicks in as they now sit lower, and are less obtrusive!

Mods, thanks for the move, I actually didn't think to put it here in the first place, mainly cos I thought it may be just my imagination! :)

icehockeyboy
27-11-2011, 13:32
Just listening to "Because" first track on The Beatles "Love" album, and never before was I aware of birds in the background on what I thought were silent bits!

It was certainly worth the experiment! :)

worthingpagan
27-11-2011, 14:42
you left the biwired cables in :lol:

icehockeyboy
27-11-2011, 16:17
you left the biwired cables in :lol:

Don't be silly! :ner:

I'm using pure silver jumpers courtesy of that very nice man Effem! :cool:

Just played soooooo many songs, currently on "Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits, sounding better than it ever has, so that little "tweak" has worked very well!

worthingpagan
27-11-2011, 19:17
yeah, those solid silver jumpers make a pleasant little upgrade, at a fraction of the cost of silver i/c's & speaker cables. I made my own 16 strands per speaker as I saw an ebay seller flogging 8 strands per speaker for over £65 :stalks:

icehockeyboy
28-11-2011, 21:47
This really is silly, just listening to Al Stewart's "Year of the cat" and on many tracks, there are things I definitely have never been aware of before

EG, on " Broadway Hotel" there is the noise
of an old fashioned phone ringing, I'd swear I never heard it before!

Now, if I was reading this from another forum member on how removing spikes etc, and replcing them with cheap foam pads brought about such a difference, I would say they were crazy...........or:glug

worthingpagan
29-11-2011, 00:00
Someone needs to check the ink levels, parts of my posts just seem to keep fading away :rolleyes:

YNWaN
29-11-2011, 00:56
I'm afraid I still think it will sound better if you change back.

icehockeyboy
30-11-2011, 11:53
I'm afraid I still think it will sound better if you change back.

Tried it.....meant having to spend a whole quid on some more pads...sat listening to familiar trax last night.............sounded better using pads onto granite plinth! :)

YNWaN
30-11-2011, 13:44
Try removing the granite.

icehockeyboy
30-11-2011, 19:42
Try removing the granite.

Are we looking at a theoretical improvement if I do, or the opposite?

And yes, I appreciate only I can tell what happens, but I am doing some lousy rotten paper hanging and taking a quick break, so rather that actually doing it, I'm asking. :)

icehockeyboy
09-12-2011, 17:10
I did remove the plinths, and in doing so, the sound seemed to develop a "harshness", actually, that isn't fair, a better way of describing what happened would be to say the upper mid/lower top were enhanced .

Unless it was my imagination.......hang on, isn't that where we started this whole thread? :)

worthingpagan
09-12-2011, 22:49
you seem to spend a lot of time analizing sound, have you tried chilling out and just listening to the music? :eyebrows:

icehockeyboy
10-12-2011, 09:44
you seem to spend a lot of time analizing sound, have you tried chilling out and just listening to the music? :eyebrows:

Nah....music is for wimps! :eyebrows:

Joking aside, how long do you think it took to slide out the granite plinths etc?
A matter of seconds, play a very well known track....3 and a half minutes, evaluate, and put 'em back........4 mins max,not a lot of time really, in the great plan of things.

Anyway, if we never tried things like this, there would be no "Stroke of genius" section here! :eyebrows:

PS, the man in your avatar, well at least the actor who portrayed him, was born less than 3 miles from where I live now. :)