PDA

View Full Version : Interesting and Lovely BUT........

Lodgesound
24-11-2011, 12:44
In best Simon Cowell voice........."Seriously seriously how much???????"

The machine is nearly 48 years old and very lovely though it is I find that buy it now price to be staggeringly high...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-valve-tube-Vintage-Studer-C37-reel-reel-tape-recorder-GWO-Warranty-/170725715206?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item27c00bad06

Barry
24-11-2011, 14:48
In best Simon Cowell voice........."Seriously seriously how much???????"

The machine is nearly 48 years old and very lovely though it is I find that buy it now price to be staggeringly high...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-valve-tube-Vintage-Studer-C37-reel-reel-tape-recorder-GWO-Warranty-/170725715206?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item27c00bad06

Without a doubt the price is too high. Especially considering spare parts are now no longer available, and the condition of the heads is not clear.

I nearly paid £800 for a C37 (complete with recording level meters), available within a couple of hours drive a few moths ago, but declined because I didn't think I would use it to it's full capability, and for the reasons stated above.

Lovely piece of kit nonetheless! :)

Lodgesound
24-11-2011, 16:31
Hi Barry;

£800 is a perfectly acceptable price for such a machine in working condition - above that as you say there are no longer spares available and service / repair is becoming increasingly hard.

If it was a Studer A820 in immaculate condition £2500 would be an acceptable price - again your problems with equipment like this is when it goes wrong (and believe me it will).

The person selling this wanted to charge nearly £3500 for an A80 a while back.

Spectral Morn
24-11-2011, 17:45
'Reel to Reel Man' most expensive prices on Ebay (next to a few of the German sellers) that I ever saw when I was looking into reel to reels a few years ago. No doubt he does a great job servicing etc but he was way too rich for me at the time and still would be today. He is a collector and asks collectors/retail prices.

Regards D S D L

Lodgesound
24-11-2011, 18:08
Mmmmmmm...yes....

I was offered £1000 by said person for a fully loaded Nagra T machine with bridge and stand.

Nagra T's are worth a lot of money because they play almost anything quarter inch wise - I would expect to pay 2 - 3 thousand pounds for a good one.

I strongly suspect that said machine would have appeared on ebay for £6000 if I had let it go.

The best one was a Nagra D which was sold by Richmond Film Services for £1500 one week and then miraculously re-appeared a couple of weeks later for nearly £4000 - the sales picture of the machine even showed the RFS ident on the display as the machine booted up.

ComradeSaigon
25-11-2011, 13:37
Don't be afraid to use Professional gears. Sod these high and mighty nostalgic bull shits.
Digital Village is the supplier for any recording gears if any be interested.

Lodgesound
25-11-2011, 16:10
Not quite sure where you are coming from there to be honest.

Yes it's professional and very high quality but it's just overpriced by nearly 5 times. Apart from that it's a very good machine.

There is plenty of reasonably priced high end equipment out there - you just have to know where to look, what to look at and be technically astute enough to maintain it.

Beechwoods
25-11-2011, 16:16
Don't be afraid to use Professional gears. Sod these high and mighty nostalgic bull shits.
Digital Village is the supplier for any recording gears if any be interested.

Each to their own :scratch:

ComradeSaigon
25-11-2011, 21:35
People into Hifi in particular tend to go for what once was a highly sought after machine and keep singing mighty tune about it. I'd dare say that tape machine is really passed it used by date.
I only want to make that point. There so many capable Professional gears that you can spend money on plus cheaper to give you more than those high mighty ones that people keep pointing at.
Yes, each to their own. But we shouldn't be sentimental what is passed it used by date.
For recording machine in particular.