PDA

View Full Version : Great Tracks Featuring... Xylophone/Glockenspiel/Vibraphone

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 11:33
Been a little while since I've started one of these...

Someone said somewhere recently (apologies - I can't remember who it was or which thread!) that they didn't like the sound of a xylophone... which got me thinking - 'cos I love it! (Or any other sort of similar instrument...)

So, I'd like a playlist of great tracks featuring xylophones et al for when I need a mallet induced ringy fix, please!

Here's my starter for 10 -

Dire Straits - Love over Gold

nKCpMDpSP8M&ob

Anyone got some good ones? I'll start a Spotify playlist if there's enough interest. :)

Stratmangler
24-11-2011, 12:50
Frank Zappa's work is littered with percussion of the xylophonic persuasion.
You not find it on Spotify unfortunately.

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 13:54
Thanks Chris - yes, I did find one or two Zappa bits on You Tube...

yzfzsKENCbU

I guess Cal Tjader would be one of the most prolific vibraphone players - I've got this album that he did with Stan Getz, but should try some more of his stuff...

http://open.spotify.com/album/3iWdwHvDLvXklZr03ZoSoc

T-M1teNsDT4

Then there's this one, of course...

UcCHRW8G9yY

Rare Bird
24-11-2011, 14:22
Does the use of Tublar Bells count?

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 14:36
Does the use of Tublar Bells count?

Yeah, I reckon - any mallet played percussion instrument will do! ;)

keiths
24-11-2011, 15:00
Mike Oldfield - Incantations - It's Xylo-tastic :eyebrows:

SyjPL_o0fjc

keiths
24-11-2011, 15:06
Pretty much anything from The Modern Jazz Quartet (MJQ) - Milt Jackson on Vibes.

S_VRsGo-FAA

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 15:53
Great stuff, cheers Keith, I've never heard of The Modern Jazz Quartet... I'll be checking out some of their stuff. :)

keiths
24-11-2011, 15:57
Here's another Jazz Vibraphonist that I like - Orphy Robinson

QfZQNz-qHVU

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 16:21
Here's another Jazz Vibraphonist that I like - Orphy Robinson

Oh yes, I like that! (Spotify doesn't, though... :()

keiths
24-11-2011, 18:27
Another great great jazz vibes player - Lionel Hampton

R_rTICMVXQQ

keiths
24-11-2011, 18:41
Last one (for now...)

JH9L6VonhQc

Rare Bird
24-11-2011, 23:13
Yeah, I reckon - any mallet played percussion instrument will do! ;)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ''Toccata''

:sofa:

The Grand Wazoo
24-11-2011, 23:20
Yeah, I reckon - any mallet played percussion instrument will do!

F9nGyPz9uT0

aquapiranha
24-11-2011, 23:39
There's always one isn't there?? :lol:

5_msHpEa3_Y

Oh, and there is one in here too...

W8JLqsbK5V0

The Grand Wazoo
25-11-2011, 00:03
Frank Zappa's work is littered with percussion of the xylophonic persuasion.

Especially the period around when Ruth Underwood was in the Mothers. 'One Size Fits All' is positively bursting with her fantastic percussion work.

As featured earlier by Alex, the 'Rollo Interior' section of 'St Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast' is the piece that folks always seem to cite. I like 'Dog Meat' though..........

JCVaFK4FV-Y

Roy S
25-11-2011, 00:11
ooh ooh!

ypuhlLoFDRs&feature=related

The Grand Wazoo
25-11-2011, 00:22
Interesting interview with Ruthie here about FZ making the marimba electric so they could use it in a live context.

YSavN19ZJ4g

..........but watch 'er go at it mallet & tongs in the first 20 seconds! (That song is called 'Approximate')

Werner Berghofer
25-11-2011, 07:23
Alex,

So, I'd like a playlist of great tracks featuring xylophones et al for when I need a mallet induced ringy fix, please!

the music of Gary Burton and David Friedman should be added to this list. In 1978 David Friedman’s band “Double Image” recorded the legendary album “Dawn” (published by ECM Records) which unfortunately is available only second hand on vinyl. The lead instruments on this record are vibraphone and marimba, played by David Friedman and David Samuels.

Werner.

Welder
25-11-2011, 09:36
0wtuApXR3CU

keiths
25-11-2011, 10:28
the music of Gary Burton and David Friedman should be added to this list.

:doh: how on earth did I forget Gary Burton?

gZt7VySrAEE

Werner Berghofer
25-11-2011, 10:38
Keith,

how on earth did I forget Gary Burton?

don’t worry, sh*t happens :-)

Walt Dickerson and Karl Berger also should be mentioned here, but their music is from the free jazz side and may not be suitable for many listeners.

Werner.

Alex_UK
25-11-2011, 20:47
Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

jimdgoulding
26-11-2011, 12:34
Alex,

the music of Gary Burton and David Friedman should be added to this list. In 1978 David Friedman’s band “Double Image” recorded the legendary album “Dawn” (published by ECM Records) which unfortunately is available only second hand on vinyl. The lead instruments on this record are vibraphone and marimba, played by David Friedman and David Samuels.

Werner.

Dog! I LOVE "Dawn" by Double Image! So much so that I bought an extra copy used from Amazon in the hope that it would be quieter. It's about the same as my original, so no problem. Bass player Harvie Swartz's contribution is quite good, too.

Bobby Hutcherson is a fantastic player of the instrument and quite a composer. He has a pretty large collection on Blue Note.

Werner, you're trippin me out, dude.

Werner Berghofer
26-11-2011, 12:44
Jim,

Dog! I LOVE "Dawn" by Double Image!

Nice to hear that! I had the joy to hear “Double Image” in a live concert in Vienna’s Auditorium maximum back in 1978. I even was allowed to place my Sennheiser dummyhead condenser microphones directly on stage and to record the whole performance on my beloved Uher Report mobile two-track reel-to-reel recorder I used at that time. (Don’t ask: Unfortunately I have no idea where the tapes of this evening are since I moved around a lot in the meantime.)

David Friedman and the other members of “Double Image” were kind, generous and really likable guys – and great musicians of course.

Werner.

jimdgoulding
26-11-2011, 13:27
My man. Thanks

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
26-11-2011, 21:11
How about,
Dave Grusin - Discovered Again.

Andy's -SDDW

MartinT
28-11-2011, 07:39
If you're going to talk about percussion instruments like these, you have to include the wonderful Evelyn Glennie.

BLAQ0myEFgA

jimdgoulding
28-11-2011, 13:23
If you're going to talk about percussion instruments like these, you have to include the wonderful Evelyn Glennie.

BLAQ0myEFgA
Nice, Martin.

I have an album from the 70's that's quite good: Percussion Music- The Tristan Fry Percussion Ensemble (GALE maximum fidelity recordings). Various composers. Cheers.

Jason P
30-11-2011, 18:44
You're forgetting one of the greats:

8DUEAG5eO6c

Big John and Adolf too. Who'd a thought it?:)

DSJR
30-11-2011, 18:53
Did anyone mention Pierre Moelen's Gong by any chance. A graduate master of percussion I believe and sonme wonderful music...

Gong - Shamal
Gong - Gazeuze
Gong - Expresso II
PM Gong - Time is the Key
PM Gong - Second Wind

As for Mike Oldfield, Incantations Pt 4 features an EXCELLENT vibraphone sequence by M. Moelen no less... Played it this week :)

keiths
30-11-2011, 18:57
Good call Dave.

Nice to see you back too.

Alex_UK
30-11-2011, 21:58
Thanks peeps - I will be trying to put together a Spotify playlist when work calms down.

JRS
15-01-2012, 00:59
The late great Monty Stark rates very highly with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4xXnMZUBtA
They did a whole albums worth of Hoagy Carmichael songs (re-issued on stone throw) for a public broadcast kids music show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=n6DKhvLbwI4
My favorite ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6oxjz7KPz8&feature=related
Not to be missed;)

Mr Nad
15-01-2012, 09:14
Keith beat me to it (by a long way).

But how about Love Cats by The Cure? There's some glock in there close to the end, very subtle, hidden in the mix.

jazzpiano
16-01-2012, 01:15
The Red Norvo Trio w/ Charles Mingus and Tal Farlow (Savoy and Discovery labels), also the early Walt Dickerson on New Jazz ("This is Walt Dickerson" and "To My Queen" are quite accessible). ...and of course I'll second the MJQ rec's (on "Blues at Carnegie Hall" you get a particularly nice dose of Milt Jackson, likewise on "The Quartet" on Savoy.)

~Barryo

keiths
16-01-2012, 01:19
The Red Norvo Trio w/ Charles Mingus and Tal Farlow (Savoy and Discovery labels), also the early Walt Dickerson on New Jazz ("This is Walt Dickerson" and "To My Queen" are quite accessible). ...and of course I'll second the MJQ rec's (on "Blues at Carnegie Hall" you get a particularly nice dose of Milt Jackson, likewise on "The Quartet" on Savoy.)

~Barryo

Nice picks Barry - listening to some MJQ right now.

Barry
16-01-2012, 18:38
May I suggest:

Eric Satie - 'Trois Morceaux en Form du Poir' ('Three pieces in the shape of a pear') ?

shane
17-01-2012, 10:21
Slow, cool, shimmering and gorgeous:

1c_fEG05Vt4

Originally from the LP Place Vendome, which is a brilliant recording:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_Vend%C3%B4me_%28Swingle_Singers_with_MJQ_alb um%29

shane
17-01-2012, 10:32
Alternatively, Fast, furious and fantastic:

jfBUEFJl1MY

Another famously brilliant recording. Something of a standard for hifi demos, and probably familiar to many here.

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-at-Pawnshop-Various-Artists/dp/B000002481

Barry
17-01-2012, 19:24
May I suggest:

Eric Satie - 'Trois Morceaux en Forme du Poir' ('Three pieces in the shape of a pear') ?

Apologies Everyone,

What I had in mind was:

'Gassenhauer' from Carl Orff's 'Schulwerk'

A sound clip of this music, used in the film 'Badlands' can be heard here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qm4h_badlands-theme_music

In my defence, the Satie piece previously quoted is also used in the film.