PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screen Design

icehockeyboy
20-11-2011, 11:34
There really are some stunning looking sets around at the moment, recently perused the new Samsung with the screen almost up to the edge of the frame, fabulous! However, there is a big design flaw on probably most sets of a similar design........access to all the sockets needed for connection once it is fitted onto the wall with a normal non extending bracket ( I haven't looked but I assume they are available at a silly price!

I recently wanted to connect mine to the 'tinternet, and had to apply the skills of a gynaecologist to get my hand up the narrow gap!
Why on earth didn't Samsung, or any make for that matter that doesn't have easy access remember that once installed on the wall it is so hard to connect anything to it?
:steam:
Rant over.

Carry on. :)

jon1
20-11-2011, 14:31
There really are some stunning looking sets around at the moment, recently perused the new Samsung with the screen almost up to the edge of the frame, fabulous! However, there is a big design flaw on probably most sets of a similar design........access to all the sockets needed for connection once it is fitted onto the wall with a normal non extending bracket ( I haven't looked but I assume they are available at a silly price!

I recently wanted to connect mine to the 'tinternet, and had to apply the skills of a gynaecologist to get my hand up the narrow gap!
Why on earth didn't Samsung, or any make for that matter that doesn't have easy access remember that once installed on the wall it is so hard to connect anything to it?
:steam:
Rant over.

Carry on. :)

Can you not plug the cables in the back before fixing it on the wall?cables to sort?:eyebrows:

jon

Rare Bird
20-11-2011, 16:21
I love the look of the big Sony 3D set when wall mounted, but i'm not intrested in 3D tbh.

icehockeyboy
21-11-2011, 10:47
Can you not plug the cables in the back before fixing it on the wall?cables to sort?:eyebrows:

Obviously did that! :doh:

jon

Obviously did that! :doh:

However, when I needed to attach something a year or so down the line..........well, you know the rest.:)

MartinT
21-11-2011, 12:01
I have the same problem with my Panny screen, but had the forethought to attach a network cable to it that I now need :)

aquapiranha
21-11-2011, 12:46
I think forward planning is the key here as is the choice of bracket (of which there are many). I would not discount some other brands, particularly Samsung and LG who both have some brilliant looking TV's atm with really good LED screens.

kcc123
22-11-2011, 15:50
I think there are some wall mounts with a 180° swing arm that you can move the TV to a suitable position and do the connections easily. I am going to get one for my Samsung plasma 3D TV which is on its own stand at the moment.

icehockeyboy
22-11-2011, 16:58
I think there are some wall mounts with a 180° swing arm that you can move the TV to a suitable position and do the connections easily. I am going to get one for my Samsung plasma 3D TV which is on its own stand at the moment.

True, but I bought a fairly costly "thin" bracket just under a year ago, and don't want to spend any more dosh, as I said in my OP, the problem goes back to what in my estimation is bad designing at the planning stage. :)

Why they had to stick them so high up the back of the set, and not lower, possibly on the bottom, I will never fathom out.