PDA

View Full Version : Stereo balance for the deaf in one ear.

Labarum
18-11-2008, 20:54
I have high frequency deafness in my left ear - 50dB down at a frequency I cannot remember.

I would have thought that would lead me to prefer a stereo balanced to the left, but it doesn't; and I would have thought that the stereo image would shift if I switched the hearing aid on and off, but it doesn't move. A central voice remains central with or without a hearing aid. I can precisely position (say) a string quartet with or without my hearing aid.

Why? Isn't most of the directional information in the high frequencies?

Any audiologists out there?

Ali Tait
18-11-2008, 22:08
Ask on Audio-Talk or WD.Andrew Ivimey is your man.Has a pHd in this type of thing.

Steve Toy
19-11-2008, 02:43
Left/right balance is perceived throughout the whole frequency range in terms of sheer output, whilst time delay between channels - specific to a critical given high frequency is what determines your perception of image.

In other words your hearing loss isn't goint to interfere with the time delay issue if you still have some hearing at that frequency.

The other question to ask is does your hearing loss affect your perception of imaging?

Primalsea
21-11-2008, 19:15
I'll hazard a guess that:
Your brain has learn't to automatically compansate and that its not the case that the left ear hears the left channel only and the other the right channel only. They both hear both channels. Perception of image is based more on what your brain does with the info.

jandl100
23-11-2008, 08:29
Yes, that is strange and interesting. Whatever the reason .... given that you have a hearing defect, it seems a good outcome and not one that I would have expected!

Out of curiosity, Labarum - what effects does the 'lop-sided' hearing defect have on your enjoyment of music?

Labarum
23-11-2008, 12:03
Out of curiosity, Labarum - what effects does the 'lop-sided' hearing defect have on your enjoyment of music?

High Frequency hearing loss makes individuals intolerant of loud noises - percussion can be painful, and loud brass (or reed stops on the organ) can cause me pain.

At moderate volumes classical music is great - I clearly cannot know what I am missing. I do not think it is much, as judged by using the hearing aid - or not.

Rock-pop music can be extremely painful, but that is not to my taste, anyway.

StanleyB
23-11-2008, 12:17
In that case I wouldn't advise the MOD21 to you Brian. It would cause you immense discomfort. The bass is more rapid and deeper. I reckon a MKIII like what Jerry has would have been your ideal solution.

Labarum
23-11-2008, 12:21
In that case I wouldn't advise the MOD21 to you Brian. It would cause you immense discomfort. The bass is more rapid and deeper. I reckon a MKIII like what Jerry has would have been your ideal solution.

Doesn't it depend on the absolute volume?

jandl100
23-11-2008, 17:10
Brian - so you have always had the condition?

.... and I think my Mk3 Beresford is wonderful! :)

Labarum
23-11-2008, 17:58
Brian - so you have always had the condition?

A loud bang on the Artillery Ranges 30 years ago. It's a very common probem with soldiers. The army monitors hearing constantly.

And I like my 6/3 too.