PDA

View Full Version : Kate Bush - 50 words for snow, out 21st..

aquapiranha
19-11-2011, 22:56
Kate bush has a new album out in a day or two, details here..

http://www.katebush.com/news/kate-release-brand-new-album-50-words-snow-november

Here you can listen to the whole LP before you buy.. (link stolen from another forum..)

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/13/142133269/first-listen-kate-bush-50-words-for-snow

Enjoy.

Spectral Morn
19-11-2011, 23:18
Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Regards D S D L

Audioman
20-11-2011, 00:19
My vinyl copy arrived today. :)

slate
20-11-2011, 00:52
The witch is back... come to daddy

keiths
20-11-2011, 01:31
Started off hating it, ended up loving it. The title track is bonkers:lol:

Spur07
20-11-2011, 21:14
interesting first listen, not keen on a couple of the tracks, but worth buying the vinyl because when the stock runs out no doubt they'll be going for silly money on ebay.

Audioman
20-11-2011, 23:50
Just listened to the vinyl. Lovely album. The pressing quality is superb. CD silent background including run offs. Rather different from any of Kate's previous work and makes a lot of use of guest male vocals.

Spur07
21-11-2011, 08:40
Thanks for tip off Paul

Have you heard the Aerial vinyl at all?

MartinT
21-11-2011, 12:03
Thanks for that. I'll be ordering it.

Spectral Morn
21-11-2011, 12:09
Bought this AM so will listen later. I hope its better than the Directors Cut.

Regards D S D L

sparrow
21-11-2011, 17:12
Bought it this morning ..not bad at all..some more spins should help.

Audioman
22-11-2011, 11:38
Thanks for tip off Paul

Have you heard the Aerial vinyl at all?

I have the Aerial vinyl. It is very good provided you get a clean copy. Lots of bad pressings. I managed to mix and match to get a perfect set after ordering 3 copies from Amazon. So for a used copy (very expensive) only go for play tested and don't risk sealed.

Spur07
22-11-2011, 13:19
I have the Ariel vinyl. It is very good provided you get a clean copy. Lots of bad pressings. I managed to mix and match to get a perfect set after ordering 3 copies from Amazon. So for a used copy (very expensive) only go for play tested and don't risk sealed.

Thanks Paul

Tim
23-11-2011, 13:18
Not sure about this yet, very slow and melancholic and will need quite a few more listens to work it all out I reckon? It's OK, but I'm not blown away so far.

Mika K
24-11-2011, 11:01
Great album have to say. It has a depth and might need still few more spins before really getting in to it. Also quite surprised by the performance of Sir Elton at the "Snowed in at the Wheeler Street" together with artist herself.

Nice.

Alex_UK
24-11-2011, 11:15
Not sure about this yet, very slow and melancholic and will need quite a few more listens to work it all out I reckon? It's OK, but I'm not blown away so far.

My feelings entirely - though I hated Aerials, so I wasn't expecting great things to be honest, and maybe some expectation bias set in! But I must admit I had to keep skipping through the tracks as I just wasn't "getting it" and I'm not sure I ever will!

Audioman
24-11-2011, 11:19
Great album have to say. It has a depth and might need still few more spins before really getting in to it. Also quite surprised by the performance of Sir Elton at the "Snowed in at the Wheeler Street" together with artist herself.

Nice.

Have to agree about Elton. Had to check the booklet that it was him as his singing voice is way better than I can remember on his later recordings. Also I don't have a problem with Steven Fry's contribution. As for Bertie he is no budding Aled Jones or Kate but it all works quite well on the first track. As for the bum note on track 2 (which sounds like him) he is not credited.

Spectral Morn
26-11-2011, 22:28
Listening to it now.......:scratch: not sure, so far one stand out track 'Wild Man'

I think this one will need a few listens.

Regards D S D L

Jonboy
26-11-2011, 22:57
it must need a few listens as i'm not blow away :(

Mika K
30-11-2011, 08:52
Here it just keeps getting better and better.. :)

aquapiranha
30-11-2011, 09:16
Well I think it is great, so you who don't like it must be deaf! :lol:

:lolsign:

Marco
30-11-2011, 09:47
Yesh, but how much of that is due to the fact that you fancy her? :eyebrows:

Marco.

YNWaN
30-11-2011, 09:56
I'm just listening to it now on Spotify and considering whether to buy the LP.

I quite like it, particularly the very sparse tracks; but I'm not quite so keen on the more 'up tempo' sections.

On balance, I've already got the new Ane Brun album on order and I think I would rather have that.

aquapiranha
30-11-2011, 11:29

Marco.

Hmm, that is a fair question. I cannot decide between Kate Bush, Nigella Lawson, Billie Piper or Cara Dillon.

Decisions decisions... :lol:

MartinT
30-11-2011, 12:53

In my case, it contributes ;)

morris_minor
30-11-2011, 14:39
You want more words for snow . . ?

Link (http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/snjoord.html)

bobbasrah
30-11-2011, 15:15
You want more words for snow . . ?

Link (http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/snjoord.html)

And there is always the Zambian word wtf :scratch:

Tim
30-11-2011, 17:36
I have to admit, this is growing on me and I don't even fancy her!

(Nigella Lawson mind you is a different matter :eyebrows:)

Mika K
30-11-2011, 19:20
No idea who this Nigella Lawson is but Kate Bush is one mysterious lady with talent and that's something you do not encounter these days very often..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02058/kate_2058518b.jpg

Audioman
30-11-2011, 20:17
No idea who this Nigella Lawson is but Kate Bush is one mysterious lady with talent and that's something you do not encounter these days very often..

This is Nigella. Bigger Babooshkas than Kate.

RtS2Ikk7A9I&feature=related

2 good reasons to become a cookery enthusiast. :lolsign:

Tim
30-11-2011, 20:23
".... my clam flesh is absolutely addictive..."

:D:D:D:D

Reid Malenfant
30-11-2011, 20:38
".... my clam flesh is absolutely addictive..."

:D:D:D:D
:lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:

ROFLMAO :eyebrows:

sparrow
30-11-2011, 21:36
I must be mad I bought the CD and vinyl only to find after a few listens that I don't really like much of the new album from Kate. It's nice but thats all. There are no tracks on there at all that stick in your head and I personally think it's her poorest album of all.

Tim
30-11-2011, 21:39
I must be mad I bought the CD and vinyl only to find after a few listens that I don't really like much of the new album from Kate. It's nice but thats all. There are no tracks on there at all that stick in your head and I personally think it's her poorest album of all.
It's doesn't grab you, but does get better after a few listens. However, I doubt I will pay it very much in the future - if ever, once it hits the CD rack.

keiths
05-12-2011, 18:12
Have just received 50 Words For Snow on vinyl from Amazon and it's superb - totally quiet pressings, excellent sound quality and a really nice large format booklet with the lyrics etc.

It's one of those albums that just gets better and better each time you hear it.

sparrow
05-12-2011, 20:03
Have just received 50 Words For Snow on vinyl from Amazon and it's superb - totally quiet pressings, excellent sound quality and a really nice large format booklet with the lyrics etc.

It's one of those albums that just gets better and better each time you hear it.

I'm glad some folks like Kates new record. I being honest don't like it much at all. It is very one paced and pedestrian for the most part but does have a few decent moments.

Stratmangler
06-12-2011, 16:52

I think I'd enjoy the album more if it was totally quiet - silent is the best option AFAIC :)
Dreary doesn't even begin to describe it :rolleyes:

Tim
06-12-2011, 16:59
I'm really trying to like it and it does improve (slightly) each time, but I have to be honest I have not been able to sit through the entire album yet :o I get bored after 2/3 tracks - I think I may give up soon.

In fairness, it is very well recorded and engineered with a pleasant warm analogue sound, but that's about all that I really enjoy at the moment. I will keep trying, as I was reading a review which has said similar things about it and in particular that it needs time, lots of time! Not sure if it will ever win me over completely and I'm really disappointed, as I have liked everything Kate has done up to this.

keiths
06-12-2011, 18:19
Odd how we all like different things, isn't it? To me, it's not dreary - it's calm and still like the morning after a fresh snowfall. The whole atmosphere of the album reflects the subject matter of snow and winter and bleakness.

In fact, I'm off to play it again :ner:

Audioman
06-12-2011, 20:19
I have to agree this is a superb album that conveys the right atmosphere for the subject matter. Does get better with each listen. Obviously too subtle for some but you need to be in the right relaxed mood probably to appreciate this.

Stratmangler
06-12-2011, 20:22
I have to agree this is a superb album that conveys the right atmosphere for the subject matter. Does get better with each listen. Obviously too subtle for some but you need to be in the right relaxed mood probably to appreciate this.

Thanks for the patronising comment :wanker:

Audioman
07-12-2011, 09:13
Thanks for the patronising comment :wanker:

No offence meant. It is however more subtle than Kate's earlier work and needs to be listened to without distractions preferably with a cold alcoholic beverage.:cool:

sparrow
07-12-2011, 15:54
Just finished listening to Kate's new one again..and finally I found myself enjoying the album. Very laid back but with a nice wintry feel to it.:cool: Looks like I'm going to have to eat my words posted earlier..:scratch:

Alex_UK
07-12-2011, 22:48
Oh god, I suppose I'd better play the damned thing again then! :lol: (Just don't make me play Aerials and the effing "washing machine song" ever again as long as I live, please! ;))

Stratmangler
07-12-2011, 23:01
Oh god, I suppose I'd better play the damned thing again then! :lol: (Just don't make me play Aerials and the effing "washing machine song" ever again as long as I live, please! ;))

You might find lift music more musically satisfying

inb1NxdoKNc

:ner:

John
08-12-2011, 14:02
I found myself quite liking the new album
Its lacks consistency but I like its quirky cool atmospheric feel
On the subject of Kate vs Nigela has Nigela ever looked like this
http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDodu5wuBO0DAANUxNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.im ages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dkate %2Bbush%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dfp-yie9%26b%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic&w=600&h=743&imgurl=www.therealstevegray.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fkate-bush-babooshka.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therealstevegray.com%2Ftag%2 Fkate-bush%2F&size=42.3+KB&name=Kate+Bush+%7C+The+REAL+Steve+Gray&p=kate+bush&oid=4f8b71b1e927113f084fbe85c3e787d6&fr2=&fr=fp-yie9&tt=Kate+Bush+%7C+The+REAL+Steve+Gray&b=0&ni=30&no=17&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=11efjjt19&sigb=12vuoaakl&sigi=123e0kqtf&.crumb=tlheWlYHKp3

Tim
08-12-2011, 16:25
On the subject of Kate vs Nigela has Nigela ever looked like this

. . . she does in my dreams John ;)

Marco
08-12-2011, 16:46
I've just bought this album on vinyl because I like snow, so it better be good!

But I've snow idea if I will....

Marco.

Tim
08-12-2011, 17:04
Well if you like snow Marco, you are half way there.... open a bottle of wine, dim the lights and relax - I think it works best if you are chilled :)

Marco
08-12-2011, 20:07
Lol - I'm always chilled, dude. I've got bugger all to be stressed about! ;)

Snow? Yes, we adore the stuff at Christmas time (we hope every year that we'll have a white one, but sadly, I don't see it happening in our lifetime :().

We only like it to look quaint on Christmas day and/or during the festive season, when we can watch the snow fall outside, whilst we're snuggling up to the log fire inside! It gives you a nice cosy feeling.....

After that, like in mid January (or worse February), when we often get snow these days, I could see it bloody far enough!

From reading your descriptions of Kate's new album, I think get the vibe.

It'll be one to listen to at night this winter, whilst the room is lit only by candles and the comforting luminosity of our log fire, watching the flames gently flicker against the darkness and basking in their orangey glow, whilst sipping a glass or three of vintage port and munching on some home-made mince pies.... Cosy and peaceful winter nights indeed are ahead at the house of Marco :)

Tim
08-12-2011, 21:17
It'll be one to listen to at night this winter, whilst the room is lit only by candles and the comforting luminosity of our log fire, watching the flames gently flicker against the darkness and basking in their orangey glow, whilst sipping a glass or three of vintage port and munching on some home-made mince pies....
That I think would be absolutley perfect for this album, the log fire will top it off nicely.

:cool:

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2011, 21:26
Don't forget some nice cheese to go along with the Port, Stilton is a good one :)

Wolfie
10-12-2011, 21:30
For those of a digital inclination HDtracks has this in 24bit/96KHz...

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD045778718603

Mick

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 21:37
I don't like it on first listen, perhaps it's a grower :uhho:

keiths
10-12-2011, 21:38
I don't like it on first listen, perhaps it's a grower :uhho:

yer all bloody deaf :rofl:

Alex_UK
10-12-2011, 22:25
That I think would be absolutley perfect for this album, the log fire will top it off nicely.

Completely agree - the top of a log fire is the perfect place for it! ;)

Jonboy
10-12-2011, 22:26

Tim
10-12-2011, 23:04
:lolsign: it's not that bad Alex...... well :scratch:

Stratmangler
10-12-2011, 23:18
I do keep trying to get on with this album, and I must admit that I'm getting to the point of being able to whistle some of the melodies :eyebrows:

Yeah, like that's going to happen :D
Tunes you can whistle my arse :lolsign:

Marco
11-12-2011, 07:25

Lol - I'll reserve judgement until I hear it properly for myself... I'd need to drink about 3 bloody bottles of port, though, before Britney bloody Spears would sound like anything other than primo-diarrhoea!!! :lol: :ner:

Marco.

Tim
11-12-2011, 11:23
I'd need to drink about 3 bloody bottles of port, though, before Britney bloody Spears would sound like anything other than primo-diarrhoea!!!

. . . touché

Marco
12-12-2011, 19:26
Well my vinyl copy arrived today and I've just given it its first spin....

I have to say that it's exactly what I expected: an evocative, cleverly crafted, almost spooky 'lullaby', dedicated to the unique atmosphere and ambience created by snowy winter days and nights. I love it! :)

My only criticism is that the sound balance Kate's producers seem to favour these days on her albums is verging on the syrupy and soporific. 'Aerial' was mixed in the same way. A little more treble sparkle and less bass warmth, and sonically, it would be perfect.

Still, when it's around 4.30pm, night time beckons, and darkness envelops the surrounding landscape, with glowing Christmas tree lights from neighbouring houses sparkling crystal-like in the night sky, I'll close the curtains, throw a log onto the fire, pour myself a glass of that vintage port, and bask in the candle glow of our darkened room and the cosy-warm vibe that this album so deftly creates....

Marco.

Tim
12-12-2011, 19:33
A little more treble sparkle and less bass warmth, and sonically, it would be perfect.
Hmmm, I wonder what a direct comparison to a CD would be like Marco? I remember Kate saying she was unhappy with the 'bright' sound of modern CD's and has gone backwards toward a more analogue sound.... of course this may work well for CD, but have the engineers accounted for the vinyl lovers :scratch:

I have warmed to it quite a bit now and under your listening conditions I reckon I would love it, especially if it were snowing outside.

Marco
12-12-2011, 19:48
Indeed, comparing it to the CD would be interesting. Sonically, the vinyl is far from disastrous, in fact it sounds rather good, but in seeking to create a "more analogue" sound, KB has tipped the sonic balance into the sleepy side of neutral.

I find that the result is usually always the same whenever someone goes out deliberately to create an "analogue sound", which in the end, usually means euphonically coloured. Thing is, when analogue is done well, it doesn't sound bloody warm - it just sounds 'right' (i.e. natural and unforced), in a way which even the best digital seldom does.

Marco.