PDA

View Full Version : John Blue JB-4 Speakers

Haselsh1
18-11-2011, 15:31
Does anyone out there know anything at all about these speakers...?

I am showing a little hint of interest but wouldn't be able to buy until well into next year. I hear they have holographic imaging and a stunning midrange...? If so, they should go with my EL84 powered amplifier.

Spectral Morn
18-11-2011, 16:25
Does anyone out there know anything at all about these speakers...?

I am showing a little hint of interest but wouldn't be able to buy until well into next year. I hear they have holographic imaging and a stunning midrange...? If so, they should go with my EL84 powered amplifier.

Hi Shaun

Being honest something I always try to be, in my experience they are pretty awful.

They have no weight or scale, no bass to speak off and have a cuppy colouration in the mid band. They do image well and work well with low powered valve amplifiers but only suiting light classical music and simple acoustic jazz limits their use to the point of them almost being useless.

I tried a set awhile ago and I could not get them to work well at all. I have read that close to wall and on the floor gives them a bit of bass but still no scale. I tried them every which way I could and I have to say I would not have the gift of a pair.

I always try very hard to get the best of anything I ever try and as hard as I could it was a dud for me. I would try a set at home before I part with any money as you may well end up hating them and the luke warm and poor reviews they have mostly got (a few good reviews though :scratch:) will I think make them a hard S/H sale.

If you want a small mini monitor type efficient enough for low powered valves then a pair of Triangle Titus preferably the EX version (beautiful tweeter, extended but smooth, the most coherent and musical version of the Titus. Earlier ones were a bit thin and the later version was a tad forward and bright; the tweeter was no longer as sweet) would be my suggestion. You should be able to get them cheap enough S/H.

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
18-11-2011, 17:30
I was about to post ' mid-band is all they've got' when I scrolled down to find a far more eloquent description.

Says it all really.

Haselsh1
18-11-2011, 17:36
Thanks for the response you guys. I guess I'll stick with what I have for a while.

Spectral Morn
18-11-2011, 17:59
Thanks for the response you guys. I guess I'll stick with what I have for a while.

No problem Shaun, I would hate to have seen you waste your hard earned money on a poor item.

Thank you HiFi Dave :)

Regards D S D L