PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD160 belt - BC (Mk2?)

bobbasrah
17-11-2011, 10:53
I'm finally into the plinth rebuild of the Thorens, but, having piled through umpteen Fleabay and other ads, have yet to nail down what length these belts are which variously are on offer.
One UK site has allegedly genuine Thorens version for 20+ quid, Thakker from Germany seems to be liked and reviled in equal measure at half the price, and a sea of different lengths seem to be available from various sellers claiming to be "compatible". None apart from the dubious latter state the size.

I believe the stock original was 255mm folded, but can any of the Thorens lads hiding in the shadow of the Technics coven here recommend a source either in the UK or EU please ?

worrasf
17-11-2011, 11:05
I'm finally into the plinth rebuild of the Thorens, but, having piled through umpteen Fleabay and other ads, have yet to nail down what length these belts are which variously are on offer.
One UK site has allegedly genuine Thorens version for 20+ quid, Thakker from Germany seems to be liked and reviled in equal measure at half the price, and a sea of different lengths seem to be available from various sellers claiming to be "compatible". None apart from the dubious latter state the size.

I believe the stock original was 255mm folded, but can any of the Thorens lads hiding in the shadow of the Technics coven here recommend a source either in the UK or EU please ?

I highly recommend Joel (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOEL-S-SERVICE-SET-THORENS-TD-124-LAGER-MOTOR-/290632941333?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43ab12bf15#ht_527wt_1189) - I have bought lots of Thorens stuff including belts and oil from him and been very satisfied - moreover he is an ex-Thorens engineer and knows his onions - written lots of in-depth tuning/setup articles for the more esoteric Thorens decks.

Steve

hifi_dave
17-11-2011, 11:19
Can't you get one from the present importer - UKD ?

bobbasrah
18-11-2011, 05:45
Thank you both,
UKD have original for 21 quid, Joel has pattern replacement for about the same, so will probably just get the original as don't need the oil etc..
Next up is rebuilding the Hadcock arm-lift and the PSU
Cheers
Bob

Dingdong
18-11-2011, 08:20
Good luck with the Hadcock. I've got an old GH228 Super with the ally arm tube. It was on my Thorens, but now it's on my Technics. The Hadcock needed a fair bit of patience to get set up right, but it sounds so very good once it is.
I got an original Thorens belt of ebay and it worked pretty well for me. Using a better mat and a clamp improved the sound a lot.