PDA

View Full Version : iMac to new speakers via an Amptastic T amp

Bonky
16-11-2011, 20:23
Have just connected my iMac to my T amp and then via a metre of Maplin's 'pure Cu" wire to a set of Q acoustic's 2010 'bookshelf' speakers.

I must say I'm impressed so far with the sound. Not as good as my main system, but better than I had before. I'm listening to iTunes via BitPerfect and Audirvana plus (demo). Both sound good ( better than iTunes native), but not 'night and day' differences.
One disadvantage of BitPerfect is its inability to mate with Airfoil (for Windows' users: this allows we Mac users to stream to other locations in the house.)

Why this post?
1 I recommend the above set-up as an alternative to buying the usual PC speakers.
2. Would the SQ be better if I changed my speaker wire?
3. Would the SQ be better if I had another external DAC (such as the Caiman or Stan's newest via an optical TosLink)?

Thanks,

Richard/Bonky

electric beach
17-11-2011, 08:05
You need a valve in front of the Mini-T to get the best value upgrade ;)

Werner Berghofer
17-11-2011, 10:33
Richard,

2. Would the SQ be better if I changed my speaker wire?

maybe, but I guess you won’t notice any difference.

3. Would the SQ be better if I had another external DAC (such as the Caiman or Stan's newest via an optical TosLink)?

Yes, absolutely! As you can see in the picture below I also have Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers (plus a subwoofer below the desk) in the small system I use in my office.

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/desk4.jpg

The Beresford Caiman+ (on the right side of the picture, just below the iTube valve amp) is connected via Toslink to the Mac mini. Stan’s stand-alone DACs have certainly improved the quality of music reproduction in my home. A second Caiman+ is used in my living room’s setup (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11546). The overall playback quality and the detail resolution are superior to what you hear when connecting an amplifier directly to the analogue line-out of an iMac (or any other computer).

Werner.

Bonky
17-11-2011, 14:27
Thanks Werner. You have answered my two questions as I had (half) expected.

Stan's got a new DAC coming out soon hasn't he? I may wait for that.

Thanks again,

Richard

Bonky
17-11-2011, 19:50
Werner, have just experimented with my FiiO E7 headphone amp/DAC. I have fed this with a usb signal from the Mac. The output is to the T-amp and then the Q Acoustic 2010 speakers. Yes, an improvement in SQ, so the Caiman should be even better.... (?)

BW

Richard

Werner Berghofer
17-11-2011, 22:41
Richard,

have just experimented with my FiiO E7 headphone amp/DAC […] so the Caiman should be even better.... (?)

unfortunately I had not yet the chance to listen to the FiiO E7 headphone amp/DAC, so I really can’t compare it to the Caiman. According to everything I read regarding the FiiO E7 this seems to be a quite good piece of equipment, but I’m sure other AoS members will be able to join this discussion and share their experience with us.

Personally I prefer to have DAC and headphone amplifier as separated units:

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/headfun.jpg

Werner.