PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

Platypus59
17-11-2008, 20:40
Hi

I've enjoyed music and sound for a very long time but oddly enough it is only recently I've become obsessed with it's reproduction. It all started with an innocent display of an audio research tube and magnepan speaker setup playing jazz. A year later and I'm listening to music quite differently and enjoying it lots more! I haven't bought maggies or audio researches but they started it all.

Cheers

Filterlab
17-11-2008, 20:54
Hi Platy and welcome. It's how it starts for a lot of us mate, it's a long road we walk but boy oh boy do we have fun on the way. :)

Welcome.

Beechwoods
17-11-2008, 21:21
Hello there Platypus. Cool name! What kind of jazz are you into? It's a broad church! What do you play your music on now?

Platypus59
17-11-2008, 23:11
Hi. Yes I should've been more specific. Piano, bass and drum is what I listen to mostly. Modern interpretations on classsic jazz. But I am equally keen on more progressive stuff when the mood hits me. My setup? Dynaudio Contour S3.4 speakers and for the last year have been trying all sorts of amps/source combos to go with them. The speakers stay. I just haven't found the right partners to go with them. All suggestions appreciated.

John
18-11-2008, 08:37
Nice speakers
Try out some valve amps, but you right in taking your time and getting this right
What kind of price range and what are you hoping to get sound wise
Welcome Be nice to know your name

Platypus59
18-11-2008, 22:58
Michael from Sweden.
I believe P.O.S. are from Eskilstuna, Sweden.
I blew my intended budget for a complete system on those speakers. What I was left with went to some very decent interconnects and speaker cables. I get by with my trusty Pioneer A-400 (Original owner) and an assortment of vintage players. I am now able to spend around £2500 for the upgrades. My pioneer is truly wonderful. I've tested it against several outstanding amps. recently and although they have been in many respects better, not better enough for me to want to spend the money. The biggest difference is noticeable in the source. Today I tested the Cambridge Audio 840C and that sounded great even without the balanced interconnects. Tomorrow I'll be testing the 840 Preamp and poweramp combo. There's a lot out there I should like to try at home but it is often difficult to find dealers close enough. I suppose the logical step would be to get the source sorted and then move on to the amplification. Anyway it's all great fun even though it occasionally frustrates. It's the thrill of the chase that is always exciting. The promise of something delightful.

Mike
19-11-2008, 21:04
Hi Michael, and welcome to AoS!

Dig in and enjoy.

Cheers...