PDA

View Full Version : Musical tastes

The Grand Wazoo
13-11-2011, 00:06
I've just been emailed the first instalment of the list of CD's that my daughter would like for Christmas. I reckon we did a pretty good job in passing on a broad, open minded and somewhat eclectic taste in music.

Here's the list:

Bjork - Biophillia
The Cure - Disintegration
Pentangle - Basket of Light
Roots Manuva - Duppy Writer

Good on 'er!

Thing Fish
13-11-2011, 00:20
Did you get my christmas list Chris...:eek:

Tim
13-11-2011, 00:38
I should think that gives you a warm glow inside Chris.

John
13-11-2011, 07:13
It begs the question is what you enjoy part of what you grow up and expossed to (the nuture side) or is it something that is just part of you (nature)

The Grand Wazoo
13-11-2011, 09:33
Well, I always thought that you were supposed to hate your parents taste in music & form your taste. Then later in life you realise that your parents had a point and what they like isn't so bad after all, which broadens your listening habits.
Someone said something a few years ago which kind of shows a change to that trend though:
This generation of kids are the first one whose parents record collection is cooler than their own.

Tim
13-11-2011, 10:06
It begs the question is what you enjoy part of what you row up and expossed to (the nuture side) or is it something that is just part of you (nature)
I think in my case, it must be mostly what's inside me - my folks played nothing but The Black Watch, Acker Bilk, Petula Clark and Swingin' Safari...... however, my older brother used to play bands like Tyrannosaurus Rex, Blind Faith, King Crimson, Fairport and Hendrix. That's when I learned there was more to music than easy listening and I went on a journey of exploration on my own, courtesy of Melody Maker.

John
13-11-2011, 12:33
With me apart from listening to the radio and watching TV I had no one to guide me so think its all nature in my case
I am the oldest brother and no one I know in my family is passionate about music like me
It was also a bit like this at the music clubs I went to most people were usually into the named bands whilst I was actively out hunting the latest obscure album I read about in the mags and papers

WOStantonCS100
13-11-2011, 22:44
This generation of kids are the first one whose parents record collection is cooler than their own.

Yep, in general, probably so...

I just got Peter Gabriel - US on vinyl. When playing it, my daughter asked if she could have the CD, as opposed to me selling or trading it in. And so, her music collection is just a little bit cooler today than it was yesterday.

My musical tastes began with my parents. It just never occurred to me that I had to dislike "their" music just because other kids my age (not all) didn't have a clue. I mean many of them didn't have a clue about art, history and literature either. Perhaps I'm stubborn like that; but, I always thought that kind of peer pressure was crap. As a parent, I actively engage in passing down that appreciation to my kids, while remaining open minded about what new stuff might be good, now. It's not that hard, really.

Ok, it did help that dad was, literally, into dang near everything. I still remember when he called me in the room to check out a kick butt rock guitarist on the tele. It turned out to be Jake E. Lee playing for Ozzy!! I mean, it shocked me. Charlie Byrd, Buckingham, Segovia, Ernie Isley, Hendrix I was cool with; but... what the feck was this. :lol: For an old bugger, dad's still alright with me. ;)

Alex_UK
13-11-2011, 23:02
My mum and dad weren't really "into" music, but I did "inherit" their ITT record player and singles, and a few albums. I guess that's why I know all the words to most of Steeleye Span & Cat Steven's back catalogue! (And why thanks to Pete Seeger I live in a little box made out of ticky-tacky!)

I know it's early days as Avatar is only 3, but I do hope she will learn to appreciate music, whether good or bad (by whatever standards) - IMHO these days listening to any music as a "leisure pursuit" is a triumph, given everything else that jostles for position in our lives.

DavefromDorset
14-11-2011, 19:06
I think in my case, it must be mostly what's inside me - my folks played nothing but The Black Watch, Acker Bilk, Petula Clark and Swingin' Safari......

Blimey, I don't remember you at our house!

Although in my case my older brother was just as bad. It took a friend who was into imported West Coast bands - Doors, Country Joe, Love, Grateful Dead etc - plus Syd Barrett-era Floyd to tickle my music buds.

I share some musical tastes with my own son; however, I struggle with hip-hop and he falls asleep at the very mention of jazz.

Dave

shane
14-11-2011, 19:19
I got my classical appreciation from Dad, courtesy of Beethoven's Sixth on a stack of 78s, but the rock stuff came in when I was babysitting for a family up the road. The mum was a Floyd fan, so Saucerful of Secrets became favourite. They must have been pretty good at spreading the word to their kids, cos the daughter I babysat for ended up as a Cadbury's Flake girl and lived with Roger Taylor of Queen for years.

Tim
14-11-2011, 19:22
. . . I struggle with hip-hop
:zzz: me too