PDA

View Full Version : Are there any 'tapers' on the forum?

Tim
12-11-2011, 21:15
I recently dipped my toe into live recording and wondered if there are any others on the forum who have tried this?

:cool:

Reid Malenfant
12-11-2011, 21:18
I used to record onto hifi VHS setups that I did for the likes of DJ Zinc, Randall etc in clubs... Not sure if that is what you are refering to Tim..

Straight out of the mixer & into the recorder ;)

Tim
12-11-2011, 21:23
I'm referring to using a personal portable recorder and microphones, I would love to be able to do it direct from the desk and may well explore that at my local venue, but so far it's just been from the crowd.

Reid Malenfant
12-11-2011, 21:26
Ah, yes, different kettle of fish as I set up the sound system to :eyebrows:

Sorry, I can't help Tim..

John
12-11-2011, 21:30
I used to many years ago back in the 80s and days of tape trading
Used to get some good recordings (well they sounded good at the time) but not sure if we should be having this talk on a open forum

Tim
12-11-2011, 21:32
I used to many years ago back in the 80s and days of tape trading
Used to get some good recordings (well they sounded good at the time) but not sure if we should be having this talk on a open forum
It's not a problem John, as so far I have always obtained the permission of the artist prior to doing so - nobody has said no so far :)

John
12-11-2011, 21:35
ahh thats cool
This days I am not sure but perhaps Beachy might know

ikaruga
12-11-2011, 22:50
I used to record onto hifi VHS setups that I did for the likes of DJ Zinc, Randall etc in clubs... Not sure if that is what you are refering to Tim..

Straight out of the mixer & into the recorder ;)

Hmmm interesting. What clubs were you doing that at? Probably every chance I was at some of those recordings if they were down London or MK.

Beechwoods
13-11-2011, 14:56
There seems to be a good attitude amongst a lot of bands these days where they realise the fervour that live recordings attract in their fans, and that there's no harm encouraging the practice so long as no one is trying to make money from the trade or sale. The internet has certainly killed the old bootleg market, and fans can now swap recordings directly, digitally, losslessly and without profit. I think it's fantastic.

I've recorded a few things myself, back in the day, but I've only been lucky in terms of how the recordings turned out a couple of times. It's easier now though, with good cheap digital recorders and mics.

s70rmp
13-11-2011, 19:15
I used to tape concerts on a Sony TCD-D3 DAT with Sonic Studios DSM mic's that went on the side of glasses.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

had some excellent recordings with that kit.

alexthemusicbloke
26-11-2011, 21:40
I've done a lot of location recording, although on a bigger scale than a tape recorder + pair of mics. As I'm studying at Uni and focussing heavily on the recording side of things, I've had quite a few opportunities, particularly in Jazz to record gigs!