PDA

View Full Version : High compliance cartridges with Jelco 750

worrasf
12-11-2011, 19:38
There seems some uncertainty about whether the Jelco SA 750D is an ok partner for high compliance cartridges - often the older low mass MM variety.

Well, I can clear up any uncertainty, with a little attention to details it is a perfect partner for them.

I was keen to get my AKG P8ES SuperNova (compliance 30 x 10-6 cm/Dyne , mass 5.8g) working in this arm as it's on my "breathed on" Technics SL1210 II in the "main system".

The stock Jelco headshell is way to heavy but the stock Technics headshell is perfect - it's so much lighter than the Jelco that you will need to remove the black plastic VTF gauge from the counter weight to allow the latter to be moved closer to the arm pillar and balance out the arm let alone apply some VTF :)

I'm using a stock technics headshell with a set of Ortofon 8N-LW10 leads with the AKG and I can report a very very good result. Using the HfN disc cartridge/arm resonance is about 13Hz which is fine and tracking is spot on but more importantly the sound is wonderful.

I have just ordered another Technics headshell to mount my second Sonus Gold Blue which is really high compliance (50 x 10-6 cm/Dyne, mass 5.5g) - this is currently in my SME 3009 II improved on the TD150 and is the finest most natural/lifelike cartridge I have ever heard so I'm really keen to see how it performs in the Jelco/SL1210.

:cool:
Steve